Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Only a slice of the screen updates in-game tutorial [FIXED for 0.34a]  (Read 9352 times)

microcontrolled

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Just started the tutorial. After the first dialog box closes, only a small rectangular portion of the screen in the center will update, the rest of the screen is static:

After Alt-tabbing out and back in, the rest of the screen updated, but only on the initial draw. It remains static afterward. The shape and size of the active rectangle is different every time I alt-tab out and in.

Computer specs:

Processor: Pentium Dual T2310 1.47 GHz
RAM: 2.50 GB
Video chipset: Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family

EDIT: oh, and I should mention that this is alpha 0.33a
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 08:23:30 PM by Alex »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Only a slice of the screen updates in-game tutorial
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 05:27:47 PM »

Thanks for the report. Seen this before, with an Intel graphics card - can you try updating your graphics drivers? I think that resolved the problem in at least some cases.

When it happened before, it was reported to only affect the tutorial, is that the case for you too?

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 05:38:57 PM »

I had managed to get that out of the tutorial (in a normal mission) when the 'do you want to order your flagship to retreat' window pops up.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 05:41:03 PM »

Ok, good to know. I'll take a look at it sometime before the next version and update this thread if there are any developments.

microcontrolled

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 06:48:11 PM »

Thanks for the report. Seen this before, with an Intel graphics card - can you try updating your graphics drivers? I think that resolved the problem in at least some cases.

When it happened before, it was reported to only affect the tutorial, is that the case for you too?

Thank you for the advice; I wasn't expecting such a quick response!

I installed the latest drivers (version 15.12.75.4.1930: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18223&ProdId=2800&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%2C%2032-bit*&DownloadType=Drivers) but the problem seems unchanged.

Also, yes, it only seems to happen in the tutorial, although I haven't gotten very far in the missions. I have no idea how to play the game  :P

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 06:49:32 PM »

Thanks for trying it!

Well, if all else fails, you can read the manual :)

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 07:00:18 PM »

I found a work-around, just hit 'tab' to open the war room, and then hit 'tab' again to close it: this should completely refresh the screen. However you will need to do this whenever you get a dialogue pop up in the tutorial.  :-\

microcontrolled

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 07:28:50 PM »

I found a work-around, just hit 'tab' to open the war room, and then hit 'tab' again to close it: this should completely refresh the screen. However you will need to do this whenever you get a dialogue pop up in the tutorial.  :-\

Works as advertised! Thank you Avan!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

I think I found the problem and fixed it for version 0.34a. It's most likely a driver bug (it allows you to turn on a setting, but not to turn it off - GL_SCISSOR_TEST for those keeping score). That being the problem matches up with this description very well, including tabbing in/out of the warroom serving as a temporary fix.

Thanks for the details report, that really helped track it down.

microcontrolled

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I think I found the problem and fixed it for version 0.34a. It's most likely a driver bug (it allows you to turn on a setting, but not to turn it off - GL_SCISSOR_TEST for those keeping score). That being the problem matches up with this description very well, including tabbing in/out of the warroom serving as a temporary fix.

Thanks for the details report, that really helped track it down.

My pleasure. I'm glad it worked out!

Also, for the record, I finished the first mission without any errors, as you expected.