Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Starfarer and Steam (greenlight)  (Read 8277 times)

SpaceWizard

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Starfarer and Steam (greenlight)
« on: August 03, 2012, 12:49:10 AM »

Now that steam has announced Greenlight does anyone think that starfarer will be put in steam? While a lot of people have gotten into the game there would be a huge injection of new players. What do you guys think?

DNAz

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer and Steam (greenlight)
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 01:13:46 AM »

Already discussed but what I want to talk about is do you guys think its "cheating" if we put starfarer up their quick and all vote quick. Hopefully it gets up on top and everyone checking it(greenlight) out will see it.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 02:01:30 AM »

I don't know ... it doesn't seem like it is Alex's style to 'jump the gun' on these things, I gather he is happy enough with the current state of the game financially (to enable him to proceed development) so presumably he will want to wait for a bit before submitting it?

Just thinking about it, there is going to be a lot of 'noise' in the early stages of greenlight associated with lots of other developers eager to jump on this thing - and it could take a disproportionate amount of energy to give this a proper go - is this Steam-related energy better spent elsewhere?

I can see lots of success with Starfarer hitting Steam early, but likewise there could be a lot of pain (mainly associated with people being confused about the features that are clearly advertised but aren't in).

I don't speak for Alex, but for the long term success of the game, and for his own mental health, I would consider holding it back just now.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

OrangeLima

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 07:21:55 AM »

I don't think as many people as we want will appreciate the development cycle planned out, causing undue stress on Alex. The influx might be unhealthy.

As well as that, I am scared I will lose you all, when this forum becomes flooded. I may lurk a lot, but the forum is so clean and friendly atm.

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 09:56:51 AM »

I Would suggest waiting until the game is nearing or at its release (as in, non-beta/alpha) stage.

Although, considering I was one of the first Starfarer players (I found the game before any releases were ever made, before the forums went up), the 'flood' has already started long ago for me ;)

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 10:17:59 AM »

I don't mind the flood so long as we keep having our excellent mods keep control of it all.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 12:55:22 PM »

I don't speak for Alex, but for the long term success of the game, and for his own mental health, I would consider holding it back just now.

Seconded, most strongly. I do not want forum members (despite acting from a misguided sense of enthusiasm) doing anything of the sort until Alex specifically comments on this topic, or otherwise makes his will known at a time of his choosing. Since anything even vaguely topical to crowd-sourcing via Steam Greenlight affects the game & its web presence as a whole, those decisions are for Alex alone to make.

I don't think as many people as we want will appreciate the development cycle planned out, causing undue stress on Alex. The influx might be unhealthy.

That's for sure.

As well as that, I am scared I will lose you all, when this forum becomes flooded. I may lurk a lot, but the forum is so clean and friendly atm.

It's a future risk that we'd all be dealing with together. IF that time should ever arrive, that is. You're not alone, mate.
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 12:57:21 PM »

I don't mind the flood so long as we keep having our excellent mods keep control of it all.

Thanks, mate. Though for a change of that magnitude, to maintain order we'd likely be trading up from ban-hammers to ban-gatlings::)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 12:59:01 PM »

In the off-chance that the forums become flooded, and trolls and such morons would begin an invasion,

I am confident that our mods and admins are more than capable of holding back the storm, and not letting them establish an beachhead ;)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 12:59:43 PM »

Thanks, mate. Though for a change of that magnitude, to maintain order we'd likely be trading up from ban-hammers to ban-gatlings::)

But, but but.....

What if they actually DO establish an beachhead?

I suppose then it's nukes that apply, eh? :D

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 01:03:12 PM »

But, but but.....

What if they actually DO establish an beachhead?

I suppose then it's nukes that apply, eh? :D

[-shrug-] Whatever it takes.

But since this entire subject of Greenlight is wholly in Alex's hands, there's nothing to do but wait.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 01:50:50 PM »

Guys - I appreciate the thought, but I really don't feel like Starfarer is ready for this kind of exposure. Please don't do anything on my behalf to make that happen - I think it could end up causing serious problems, both for the development of the game, the community, and, indeed, my mental health :)