Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: High Energy Focus - auto-deactivate would be nice  (Read 25228 times)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
High Energy Focus - auto-deactivate would be nice
« on: August 02, 2012, 06:51:11 PM »

Right now, if the HEF is active, bringing up shields is a two step process - you have to first deactivate HEF, and then activate shields.  I'd suggest that it should auto-deactivate when you try to raise shields; being able to instantly swap between HEF and shields shouldn't be something only the AI can do.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: High Energy Focus - auto-deactivate would be nice
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 07:40:38 AM »

Agreed, this would make HEF much more convenient to use.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 11:26:23 AM »

Good idea, I'll take a look.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 12:19:06 PM »

Good idea, I'll take a look.
Awesome, thanks.

While we're on the topic of the HEF, though, I'd also like a hull mod that disables the ship system; while there are some armaments (tachyon lance, HIL, and maybe graviton beams) where the current AI behavior (activate HEF if nothing's currently attacking me) makes sense, this fails magnificently if you mount shorter range weaponry.

For example, consider one of my standard Sunder layouts: three phase beams, extended shields, auxiliary thrusters, advanced optics, some other random stuff that's not important (mostly vents and capacitors).  Now, run a sample battle against two lashers.

Under player control, here's how it goes: I charge forwards, put up shields after I hit max speed, coast.  Get flanked.  Spin around and fry the lasher that came in from behind and was thus in range.  Spin back around and fry the other lasher since it closed when I turned my back on it.  Battle over; I'm fairly high on hard flux, but took no damage to armor or hull.

Under AI control, however... Charge forward with HEF active.  Get flanked.  Deactivate HEF, start to bring up shields, get a half-dozen harpoons up its tailpipe while shields are still coming up.  Battle over; flawless victory for the lashers.

Now, I can kinda fix this by finding enough ordnance points to install omni shields... but that's very expensive, and I'd much rather use those ordnance points on other things and just tell the AI to not use the HEF, ever.  ...Well, ok, I'd really rather the AI was smarter about using the HEF appropriately, adjusting for things like "Do I outrange my opponents?" and "How fast can I get shields up if something tries to flank me?", and maybe even keeping the HEF off until it actually wants to start firing.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 12:29:24 PM by Wyvern »

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 12:44:28 PM »

Picked up a Sunder today... and this still isn't in.  Could we please get the HEF automatically deactivating when you try to raise shields, instead of preventing you from raising shields?

(And a semi-related question for Alex / forum moderators: yes, this post is thread necromancy - but the only other option I can see is re-posting the original post of this thread.  Which of these options do you prefer?)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 12:50:48 PM »

I would be in favor of that. I hope Alex just forgot or something.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 12:52:17 PM »

I would love this in the game. Managing the HEF on the Oddesey is the most annoying thing ever. Having it be auto makes sense.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 01:05:52 PM »

I agree. Especially because there is a delay between when you deactivate the HEF and when the shields are allowed to be raised - get excited and click the shield button too soon, and the shields don't raise at all!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 01:06:32 PM »

(And a semi-related question for Alex / forum moderators: yes, this post is thread necromancy - but the only other option I can see is re-posting the original post of this thread.  Which of these options do you prefer?)

Well.. in this particular case, neither, since the HEF is already on my list of things that need looking at :) As systems go, it's pretty awkward and I'm not satisfied with how it works, or with how the AI uses it.

In general, if the topic is exactly the same (such as in this case), a necro is probably better.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 02:05:51 PM »

That is actually a very fair reason for not having implemented auto-deactivate; if the system is likely to radically change, there's not a lot of point to refining the current version.

So, let's see.  The HEF is intended to increase offensive power, at the cost of defensive strength - what can we come up with that would better represent such a mechanic?

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is the system from the Blackrock mod - a brief boost to power, at the cost of shutting down engines.  That'd probably work decently well for the Sunder, but not so much for the Oddyssey.

Another option might be to make it generate flux & boost damage for some specific duration - kinda like the speed loader for ballistics (which increases dps, but also increases flux/s due to higher firing rates).

What else can we come up with?

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 02:23:18 PM »

What about stopping flux dissipation (not venting just regular dissipation) while HEF is active? So if you have HEF active you do not dissipate flux.
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 02:29:44 PM »

What about stopping flux dissipation (not venting just regular dissipation) while HEF is active? So if you have HEF active you do not dissipate flux.

I like this, but it could be abused easily with burst weapons (am blaster or plasma cannon) - turn on, fire, turn off. How about a slight change: flux generated while the HEF is active is hard flux?

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 02:36:43 PM »

I like this, but it could be abused easily with burst weapons (am blaster or plasma cannon) - turn on, fire, turn off. How about a slight change: flux generated while the HEF is active is hard flux?
Smart :)
and if that don't work maybe put time duration and recharge time? So you can't abuse it.
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 02:39:50 PM »

How about a slight change: flux generated while the HEF is active is hard flux?

Uh, that I like. It would probably be much easier to handle for the AI, too.

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 04:25:29 PM »

At first glance, I like that. Keeps a relationship with shield use, but makes it indirect. Might not need the damage taken increase, too. Hmm.

Ok guys, now try to punch holes in that idea - why would it not work well? :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7