Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Spamming Phase  (Read 1803 times)

armoredcookie

• Captain
    • View Profile
Spamming Phase
« on: August 02, 2012, 04:14:08 PM »

Mashing the right click button on a phase ship seems to allow some weapons to fire even though the ship is in phase. Like on the Afflictor, the PD laser can fire at an enemy ship when doing this tactic, all the while the enemy ship can't fire back.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Spamming Phase
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 04:26:36 PM »

Ships can fire while unphasing. Since turning the phase cloak on and off requires some flux (though, admittedly, not very much on the Afflictor - that particular ship has a very low cloak activation cost), this can't be kept up indefinitely and is a valid tactic.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 07:58:47 PM »

I love that ship.  :D
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 11:01:09 AM »

While even Afflictor can't keep cloak indefinitely, it can keep it MUCH longer by pulsing it at constant rate instead of leaving it active for prolonged time(it is still immune for the whole time, since cloak is reactivated  before finishing unphase). Combined with array of 4 Light machine guns (flux-wise dirt cheap kinetic damage) that can fire during unphase, it can easily dispatch most ships without giving any opportunity for retaliation...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 11:02:58 AM by TaLaR »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 11:33:47 AM »

About 50% longer than usual, but then, it's also firing. I'll take another look at that - but in any case, it would be an Afflictor balance issue, not a phase cloak bug.

Hmm. Yeah, that's a bit too good. Going to increase the activation cost a bit for that ship.