Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: .53a First impressions  (Read 44428 times)

neonesis

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: .53a First impressions
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2012, 08:52:23 AM »

About the Burn Drive - I'm seriously scared of Onslaughts right now. I'm unable to win a fight against Hegemony DF, these capitals appear just so quickly!

It's like - coasting peacefully in my shiny Aurora... bzzzzrrzuuuu.... BZZZRRUUUU! RATATATATATATA, overload, boom, no Aurora.

Sarkovar

• Ensign
  • Oh god it's so beautiful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2012, 08:52:59 AM »

The brawler isn't terrible anymore :o. Stick two maulers on it, activate the AAF and go to town.
The Interstellar Federation: Laser free since '83. (except for the Jardain)

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2012, 09:10:18 AM »

I LOVE frigates so much now. There is so much power!
For once though I feel worried about running out of antimatter blaster ammo - 40 shots ain't that good if you run out of sabots and don't have something else to crack shields. YOU HAVE TO TRY AN AUTOPILOT HYPERION VS HYPERION. It's brilliant. They're so fast, it's an amazing showcase of the AI. I actually love frigates so much I am considering rolling a frigate only fleet, because there's so much speed and usability involved. It's mind blowing to think I could, currently, actually kill anything with real ease with my four ship FRIGATE fleet. Ship systems are just... so well done. I am only missing one thing, and that's missile support, but I don't even think I need that so long as I have my fleet the way it is.
1* Omen
1* Hyperion (those two work in tandem, the Omen shuts down an enemy ship's defences, engines, etc. and the hyperion comes along and blasts it with the pulse lasers, and Atropos missiles if need be. And holy hell is the Phase Teleporter in a world of it's own. I actually don't know how to counter a ship that can be everywhere at once so easily.
1* Afflictor
1* Shade (see above, but these give me time with phasing and they are amazingly powerful, I have EIGHT atropos missiles for use now, which is enough to crack a hole in an onslaught with bitter ease)
I am not really planning to add fighters, but a Doom cruiser would be very nice (125 speed? are you kidding?!) though I'm not liking the 500 flux a second upkeep, it makes it feel rather... weak. Consider phasing is a defensive system, that means I don't entirely have too much time for use with that, though it has a very flexible weapons layout, and one I'd like to play around with.
On phasing - it rocks. The ability to just ignore everything going on around you is awesome, and very useful. It increases the survivability of a ship SO MUCH! And it has other uses too, from preparing an attack,  to reloading weapons, though I noticed something that made me go ??? and that was you're still affected by pocket nebulae. It's rather strange.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2012, 09:27:39 AM »

I LOVE frigates so much now. There is so much power!
For once though I feel worried about running out of antimatter blaster ammo - 40 shots ain't that good if you run out of sabots and don't have something else to crack shields. YOU HAVE TO TRY AN AUTOPILOT HYPERION VS HYPERION. It's brilliant. They're so fast, it's an amazing showcase of the AI. I actually love frigates so much I am considering rolling a frigate only fleet, because there's so much speed and usability involved. It's mind blowing to think I could, currently, actually kill anything with real ease with my four ship FRIGATE fleet. Ship systems are just... so well done. I am only missing one thing, and that's missile support, but I don't even think I need that so long as I have my fleet the way it is.
1* Omen
1* Hyperion (those two work in tandem, the Omen shuts down an enemy ship's defences, engines, etc. and the hyperion comes along and blasts it with the pulse lasers, and Atropos missiles if need be. And holy hell is the Phase Teleporter in a world of it's own. I actually don't know how to counter a ship that can be everywhere at once so easily.
1* Afflictor
1* Shade (see above, but these give me time with phasing and they are amazingly powerful, I have EIGHT atropos missiles for use now, which is enough to crack a hole in an onslaught with bitter ease)
I am not really planning to add fighters, but a Doom cruiser would be very nice (125 speed? are you kidding?!) though I'm not liking the 500 flux a second upkeep, it makes it feel rather... weak. Consider phasing is a defensive system, that means I don't entirely have too much time for use with that, though it has a very flexible weapons layout, and one I'd like to play around with.
On phasing - it rocks. The ability to just ignore everything going on around you is awesome, and very useful. It increases the survivability of a ship SO MUCH! And it has other uses too, from preparing an attack,  to reloading weapons, though I noticed something that made me go ??? and that was you're still affected by pocket nebulae. It's rather strange.

You may want to try adding a Wolf, or even a Medusa, to that fleet. The Phase Skimmer is crazy good- it adds a ton of mobility/survivability. My fleet of 1 Medusa, 1 Wolf is able to take on pirate fleets 5x its size without taking hull damage. I just added a Hyperion, too, so we'll see how that goes =)

As for how to counter a Hyperion, a Medusa with Heavy Blasters and Burst PD does a pretty good job.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 09:29:16 AM by naufrago »

Strifen

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2012, 09:33:32 AM »

though I noticed something that made me go ??? and that was you're still affected by pocket nebulae. It's rather strange.
  Not so strange when you consider the 'push back' from going through things like other ships and asteroids in phase - I like to think it's something similar to that; A bit iffy though.

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2012, 09:35:42 AM »

As for how to counter a Hyperion, a Medusa with Heavy Blasters and Burst PD does a pretty good job.
It's not so much my weapons but more how the f do I hit something that jumps so fast a hound can't track it
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2012, 09:42:30 AM »

It's not so much my weapons but more how the f do I hit something that jumps so fast a hound can't track it

The trick is to predict where it's going to teleport, so when it does teleport you can turn your guns/shields/ship immediately and shoot it before it has a chance to teleport again. It tends to jump directly behind your ship in a 1v1, but I haven't really fought one in any other circumstances (only fought one in the simulation mode). Your best bet would be to study how the AI behaves with the teleporter to get a feel for where it likes to go.

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2012, 09:43:35 AM »

The trick is to predict where it's going to teleport, so when it does teleport you can turn your guns/shields/ship immediately and shoot it before it has a chance to teleport again. It tends to jump directly behind your ship in a 1v1, but I haven't really fought one in any other circumstances (only fought one in the simulation mode). Your best bet would be to study how the AI behaves with the teleporter to get a feel for where it likes to go.
I have a better idea, leave hyperions to my hyperion
due to me having higher crew level, I should win.
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Wriath

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2012, 09:58:56 AM »

So I'm running an omnishielded Buffalo 2... it's actually surviving and positively influencing battle outcomes. I really like the new Mule ship, fits in great with a venture flagship.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2012, 10:01:40 AM »

Best way to counter Hyperion is using your own, just teleport behind it immediately after uses it's teleport. Medusa is also ok - use skimmer in the same situation, you won't appear behind it like phase teleport allows, but it's doable even faster since you have no need to target location (in fact it's just trick to rotate instantly).

Also if you press shield or fire weapon right after using skimmer/teleport  (during transition) - it will activate right after you appear.

Ships that don't  have [skimmer/teleport] or [360 degree shield/Craploads of armor + decent all around weapon coverage] can only defeat Hyperion due to AI being not 100% efficient in exploiting it's teleport ability.

Kaitol

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2012, 10:34:29 AM »

Immediately noticed the new missile panic behavior. I bum rushed a buffalo in a wolf, took it down to a tenth of its health, But was forced to retreat because its lasher buddies were pounding me. I escaped by the skin of my skimmer with 5 hull left. I immediately noticed the massive storm of salamanders chasing me. *slams f key as fast as possible wishing for skimmer to recharge*

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2012, 11:48:36 AM »

You fixed the intro battles!  :D
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2012, 11:52:56 AM »

I did?

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2012, 12:00:34 PM »

Wha?
What intro battles?
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

armoredcookie

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2012, 12:03:40 PM »

The menu screen thingy, now it has the ship systems working in them!  ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8