Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Medusa: OP or do other destroyers need a buff  (Read 9011 times)

RSS_Ornel

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Medusa: OP or do other destroyers need a buff
« on: August 01, 2012, 11:30:00 AM »

Ive found than my medusas (my favorite destroyer by far) has no competition in the destroyer class. This is probably because of its gigantic energy weapon compliment and thus does not need to worry about pd. also Graviton beams on the med slots make it an efficient shield cracker. Armor can be taken care of with light assault guns. So it is an overall efficient destroyer. But....
      What I recently found that with LRPD lasers graviton beams and light assault guns (hardened shields as well) it can 1 on 1 and win with a dominator (which has 5 times the armor and 3 2/3 times the hull) of all types: Assault Outdated and support.

This is something that needs to be fixed, at least the fact that it has no rivals in the destroyer class.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
Re: Medusa: OP or do other destroyers need a buff
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 12:00:45 PM »

I have to agree - my dual phase beams and tactical lasers burn through shields of the destroyers like nobody's business. It's cuhrazy.
That said, if Alex nerfs it, then the Enforcer fills its place.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 12:11:09 PM »

Just put heavy mauler + heavy needler on hammerhead + tac lasers (also targeting unit, rest into flux regen)...
No need for pd - it has enough speed to avoid torpedoes & efficiency to tank decent amounts of missiles.
=> that way it can own any frigate/destroyer/fighters/larger ships, that it can outrange (960 on needler), as long as it is not badly outnumbered

In fact maulers/needlers are so good, that i fail to understand what's the point of assault chainguns (less range, alpha, efficiency, ammo than mauler),  or heavy autocannons (efficiency is too important, since no ship has really free flux capacity, also needlers have more ammo than any other ammo-limited weapons)

Also about gravitons - they might be efficient, but they still are soft flux, making them mostly useless against larger high tech ships...

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 12:22:59 PM »

The Medusa is an excellent ship and probably the best of the destroyer class for assault style combat. It also costs the most, has the a higher OP cost, has the lowest spare crew/cargo, and has 0 hangar. It is also the most fragile destroyer should it be flanked or caught by surprise. It winning against a solo dominator doesn't really mean much though - in the hands of the player many ships are far far more powerful than in the hands of the AI. The dominator falls prey to smaller, faster ships anyways and really needs support against them. I actually find the setup you describe to be very weak due to my playstyle  - I like having 2 pulse lasers, 2 lmg's, 2 tactical lasers, and 2 burst pd lasers (diagonal setups for the small energy weapons). Its a versatile design that can solo everything except an Onslaught or Paragon, but can also deal with fighter swarms pretty effectively.

I do think you are underestimating the other destroyers, or they just don't match your playstyle. The Enforcer is a beast of a ship that can take (and give) a huge pounding. The Hammerhead is almost as fast as the Medusa but carries two medium ballistic mounts - it makes for an incredible support ship that can just sit back at 1000/800 range and hammer away with heavy maulers or heavy needlers or HVD's etc. It also has 6 Hangar and 100 cargo. The Sunder needs tweaking imo :P but even as is it can pack a punch in the right circumstance.

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 01:13:04 PM »

The Medusa is great in a 1v1 situation. It gets overwhelmed easily in fleet actions due to its fragility and narrow shield coverage. It also can be outranged with hypervelocity Drivers .

MidnightSun

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 01:39:53 PM »

Personally, I feel the Enforcer is even more powerful than the Medusa. The 4 medium ballistic turrets are extremely flexible, allowing for 2x HVD or Heavy Mauler + 2x Flak. Then, 4x Annihilators can quickly overwhelm PD or cripple an overloaded ship in one strike.

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 01:42:41 PM »

Personally, I feel the Enforcer is even more powerful than the Medusa. The 4 medium ballistic turrets are extremely flexible, allowing for 2x HVD or Heavy Mauler + 2x Flak. Then, 4x Annihilators can quickly overwhelm PD or cripple an overloaded ship in one strike.
Five mediums actually
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

MidnightSun

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 01:44:44 PM »

Five mediums actually

Thanks for the correction; it's been a while ;)

I usually go with 2x HVD, 1x Heavy Mauler, 2x Flak/Dual Flak

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 01:48:12 PM »

The Medusa seems to be the number one favorite ship among new players. Its excellent speed, maneuverability and many turreted energy weapons is just plain BEAST. I do believe it should have its price increased and perhaps nerf its shield coverage even more - its gonna need a nerf even more so once ship systems hit as the Phase Skimmer seems absurdly powerful.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 02:08:12 PM »

The Medusa is a great 1v1 ship, but it can get easily swarmed bu 2-3 ships. It does not need a nerf at all, as it is also very expensive.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 02:19:19 PM »

You're not gonna be able to swarm it anymore with the phase skimmer - just activate that and you're a full screen away.

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 02:21:09 PM »

You're not gonna be able to swarm it anymore with the phase skimmer - just activate that and you're a full screen away.
I'm only slightly worried for being able to do this to an onslaught.
'capn the medusa is showing us it's engines'
'fire'
'it raised shields'
'keep firing'
'WHERE DID IT GO'
'CAPTAIN WE HAVE TWO REAPER MISSILES ON OUR ENGINES AND HEAVY BLASTER FIRE AND *boom*'
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 02:30:23 PM »

Pshaw, an Onslaught can tank a pair of reapers ;)

How about this one:

"Capn, there's an Onslaught 2000 [units] out, heading our way."
"Maintain course, it can't catch us"
"What the--?! Capn its gaining!!!"
"Inconceivable! Raise shields!"
"We're under heavy fire, can't hold ---" *boom*

An onslaught will be able to run down a medusa with the burn drive no problem - if its equipped with kinetics a medusa won't last long...

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 02:31:27 PM »

The medusa would just phase skim away, into the back of the onslaught and pound it. :)

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 02:32:19 PM »

Yeah, adding EVEN MORE maneuverability to already extremely agile ships is gonna be a bit insane. Hunting down a kiting Tempest/Medusa was a pain before and now they'll be able to warp around the battlefield on a short cooldown. I'm a bit scared for my low tech fleet... :-X
Pages: [1] 2