Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: A handful of suggestions  (Read 3993 times)

Lightforger

• Ensign
    • View Profile
A handful of suggestions
« on: July 29, 2012, 12:49:19 PM »

System Idea:
Flush Pods
A simple system that removes a set amount of flux from the ship. Hard flux cuts in half the amount removed.
Suggested ships
Falcon, Hammerhead
The Falcon is already fairly maneuverable and has issues with flux slightly makes up for it's lack of power compared to other cruisers.
The Hammerhead also has issues with flux and doubling the rof of it's main weapons makes the issue worst.

Hull Mods:
AI safety measures: Greatly decrease the amount of crew killed when your hull is hit minor hull hp increase.
Improved Fail safe systems: Reduces the amount of time overloaded and slightly reduces emp damage

Weapon changes:
Flak offers a nigh unstoppable wall of anti-ship and fighter protection one flak cannon can easily keep multiple pulims at bay for very little flux and op cost compared to the missiles they shot down, cut flak damage in half and increase in spread from my rough testing it keeps them fairly powerful but can be overwhelm at bit easier. 

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
Re: A handful of suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 12:51:31 PM »

I agree on Flak. It's critically OP as it cannot be overwhelmed currently. Any missile you throw at it it just goes 'nope' and kills it. The only way to circumvent that is to overload or disable the flak cannons. Annoying.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 12:54:36 PM »

I too agree with the flak suggestion, although to be fair, flak systems are very effective in real life too when compared to military point defence lasers (apart from the new ones...)

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 01:08:04 PM »

[Edit] Welcome to the forums!

I disagree on the need to nerf flak - I think it is very effective, but not overpowered or unbalanced at all. It takes a medium ballistic slot (of which there are several other fantastic guns), has a low ammo capacity, and is completely ineffective against anything larger than a fighter. Its not even that good against fresh fighters - it takes forever for flak to punch through 100 armor and it will never scratch a Xyphos or Dagger. Its true that its the only real counter to Pilum spam - but why should that tactic have no counter?

One of the key points of combat in this game is that point defense is effective - and shield even more so against HE missiles. Fire missiles into a venting/overloaded target or flank the shield and try to disable the pd.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 01:16:00 PM by Thaago »

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 01:10:10 PM »

Because of the flaks huge damage it shreds any ships hull if the armor is gone.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 02:28:11 PM »

Most guns do that anyway. And an even larger percentage of medium weapons do it better

Chancellor Meatsteak

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 03:08:27 PM »

I think the main problem with flak is not so much that it is too powerful (though that is likely the case as well), but that it is so much better at PD than other PD weapons, even ones that cost more OP. The heavy burst laser for instance is 13 OP but is worse at destroying missiles than even regular flak which is 8 OP.

As for the ship system idea, I assume you mean a system that converts an amount of soft flux into half that amount of hard flux? That actually sounds pretty interesting. I think it might work better that it simply converts all of your soft flux into half (or some other fraction) that of hard flux, since whatever amount of soft flux is lost is always countered by the amount of hard flux gained. Using the system would allow you to keep firing weapons at the present at the cost of forcing you to lower shields sooner in the future, a short term gain for a long term disadvantage. It would be most interesting on a ship with low armor, good shield efficiency, moderate speed, decent flux dissipation, and a relatively large amount energy weapons. The focus of shields over armor means that monitoring your hard flux levels is more important as tanking hits on the armor while waiting for the hard flux to be vented is a more dicey proposition. If the ship is too fast than it will always be able to retreat to vent, thus mitigating the downsides of using it, but if it is too slow than it will not be able to retreat and using it may be too risky. Similarly, it shouldn't have so little flux venting that you would always take more flux damage simply by waiting for it to go down, but not so much that waiting is always the better option. It should use energy weapons as those tend to generate more flux to fire, making the system of more importance than if it used ballistics.

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 03:27:38 PM »

I think flak is balanced out by the fact that there are so many incredible Medium Ballistic weapons that you have to give up to use.

Also, I have no problem with the shielding-challenged lower-tech ships having access to superior PD than the high-tech ones (who nevertheless get the excellent Burst PD lasers.)

Alrenous

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 06:19:53 PM »

The heavy burst laser is underperforms for me. Am I missing something - can anyone tell me how to use it? Or is it just a regular burst laser after conspicuous consumption?

The flak cannon is almost the sole preserve of low-tech ships, who have neither the capacity nor dissipation to keep their shields up. Without a shield or flak, their reaction to pilum spam would be, "Well, ***." Then they'd die.

Lightforger

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 12:20:41 PM »

Ok clearing up a few things....

First the flush pods remove hard or soft flux.
If your ships has 1000 soft flux it will take 500 if it has 1000 hard flux it will take 250.(not actual flux numbers of course)
The hard flux bit is to stop the ships becoming shield heavy the pods will let you live a bit longer or finish a overloaded ship, the hammerhead can hardly keep all it's weapons firing normally let alone with double firing rate on it's main weapons.

Test my fix for flak it is still the best pd system but does not out shine every other pd weapon and as a bonus it even gives you a reason to mount dual flak. I think one 8op flak can should not be able to destory from four 12op pilums lauchers when two 5op laser pd's or one 13op heavy burst laser will fail.

Anyway what do you think of the hull mods?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 04:50:56 PM by Lightforger »