Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Stagnant Development  (Read 35390 times)

Infinite Monkeys

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Stagnant Development
« on: July 28, 2012, 12:38:45 PM »

I bought this game months ago when the first public 'campaign' build came out and played it to death, planning to come back once things changed to make the game more replayable. Since then there have been new ships and modules, and that seems to be it. No new campaign stuff or any actual progress on the core game, just a slew of minor additions. The promised epic campaign mode has seen absolutely zero progress and Alex seems content with minor balance tweaks etc. The only notable change from 0.52.1a to now is the addition of 'phase cloaks' which are really just another ship module - the rest is all balance tweaks, AI fixes and the like. Seems like this is another Cortex Command, a game with great promise doomed to go nowhere :(

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
Re: Stagnant Development
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 12:44:04 PM »

Nope.
I've seen definite development.
Alex is finishing up combat first.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

MidnightSun

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 12:44:45 PM »

If you read the forum threads, you'll notice that development is continuing at a steady pace, and that Alex has mentioned that ship systems (including phase ships) is the last major combat-related addition before the campaign is developed further. Patience is a virtue.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 01:25:33 PM »

Two big problems with indie development:

1) They usually release an early build of the game and then 'sell' it to fund continued development. What this causes is a sense of entitlement from the players that purchased it - they begin to demand their ideas make it into the game and that they get constant content patches in order to feel that their money is not being 'stolen' or scammed out of them.

2) Usually only 1-3 guys work on the game full-time. This issue compounds issue #1 - it can become a vicious downward spiral of ill will.

Really the only thing Alex can do at this point is hire another full-time dev to speed things up. While the last estimate of copies sold is around 15,000, I don't think thats enough to make hiring another dev feasible. But, Alex seems to a pretty avid bug smasher and the game is VERY stable for still being in alpha - at least we have one good reason as to why development is slow. ;)

So, patience. Alex is working on Starfarer full-time and thats all we can really ask for until the game becomes more popular and starts selling a larger volume of units per month.

peterispete

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 01:32:40 PM »

Are you seeing the same patch notes I am?
I see phase cloaks, 4 new ships, lots of bug fixes, one overpowered weapon getting nerfed so it is not the one thing to put on a large slot, a few more balance changes, ship systems, a new mission, smarter AI, and some other things I am too lazy to look up all in one patch.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 01:41:38 PM »

Moddability is also getting quite the kick up the rear in this update too. Honestly, just because Alex doesn't release a patch every week, it doesn't make the development stagnant, it means he can actually get more meaningful stuff done with each patch without having to cut it short to meet a deadline or whatever. The soon(tm) release schedule, while hilariously frustrating, is great for getting features delivered complete. Besides, the way the releases are done, it means mod makers can get quite a few kinks worked out of their works as well without having to worry about updating for new versions nearly so often

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 01:51:03 PM »

Dri made some exceptionally perceptive comments about the entire dev situation and why some folks mistakenly feel that it is somehow being done wrong. While development of Starfarer may or may not proceed at a pace that is congruent with everyone's idea of "fast enough," it cannot fairly be characterized as "stagnant".

And as K-64 alluded to, once v0.53 is released it will allow our very healthy modding community to create new content that is better than ever able to keep us happy in between official releases.

I am continually impressed with how solid and how interesting this early alpha build of Starfarer actually is. No, of course it's not complete, but for a low-fifties point release we're getting one hell of a fine product.
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....

OrangeLima

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 02:21:41 PM »

I have played it for over 400 hours, I might consider myself a addict.

The reality is this guy has done more work on this game than I have done in my entire life.

He is coding/programing/whatever you want to call it, which is something that while I can't do, I have heard many a times it is tedious and hard work. And I would guess that he has spent a lot of time and hard work since he has built his own engine, that seems really stable from the fact it never crashes for me, unlike other indie games I have played which are very buggy. (I mean it, the only bug I have ever found was the ability to open the system map and play time at the same time by smashing the keys together really fast)

Needless to say, Alex has killed so many bugs he would be renown as a federation hero in Starship troopers. (Or a really good member of the Men in Black, I like to call him Agent A)

I think he is working at a good rate, considering he must comb through his work alot, is just about to make the game REALLY moddable and within 6 months will proabably let me leave the solar system I currently have 8 paragons in. (which I probably won't be able to keep  :'(, but then again, this is a ALPHA build.)

Personally speaking, bro, imagine ramming a bunch of stuff with a onslaught traveling faster than a bullet. That will be awesome.

Opinion sucessfully expressed.

Infinite Monkeys

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 02:36:20 PM »

I see phase cloaks, 4 new ships, lots of bug fixes, one overpowered weapon getting nerfed so it is not the one thing to put on a large slot, a few more balance changes, ship systems, a new mission, smarter AI, and some other things I am too lazy to look up all in one patch.
These are all minor additions of new content similar to the existing stuff or straight tweaks to existing content, none of it is actual major stuff. I seem to remember the number after the 0. is supposed to be the percent complete (could be wrong here) in which case it's moved 3% in... 5 months.

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 02:51:36 PM »

These are all minor additions of new content similar to the existing stuff or straight tweaks to existing content, none of it is actual major stuff. I seem to remember the number after the 0. is supposed to be the percent complete (could be wrong here) in which case it's moved 3% in... 5 months.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Version_number

MidnightSun

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 03:25:26 PM »

No, the version number has nothing to do with the percent completed whatsoever...

zakastra

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 03:29:38 PM »

What would you rather have, an alpha with dozens of different aspects and features, non of which are fleshed out, interesting, balanced or complete, leaving a game lacking in charm, replay-ability and most importantly fun, or one with one or two aspect solidly and thoughtfully built to a very exacting standard. I don't know about you, but I much prefer the second option, making sure everything works well every step of the way and gradually building it from the bottom up, with excellent foundations, rather than trying to cram it all together form the top down, and then try to make every different aspect work without them collapsing into a messy heap.

As starfarer stands now, it is *already* the best tactical star-ship combat game I have played. period, Now I'm not syaing for a moment that that excuses a lack of updates, or that you should be satisfied only with what is provided here, but rather consider the Reason that this is the case, is because alex has single-minded focused on making the combat as meaty, stable balanced and interesting as possible. leaving everything but the very barest outlines of economy and campaign until later, where they will receive due focus and attention in time. If the care and attention to the combat system had been neglected to get other large scale features in place in a skeletal fashion, the combat would be no-where near as fun, and as a result the game would be a whole lot less appealing.

Just my 2 cents, as the Americans say, but really for the staff involved, this game is proceeding apace, with wonderful changes being made regularly and the best kind of dev focus.
Oh DRM, bane of the carrier captain...

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 07:42:00 PM »

compared to other development i find this goes at a very good pace. not the fastest, but far better than average. After this patch im hoping we will get the campaign features we're all waiting for.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 02:36:43 AM »

Starfarer is my third favourite game of all time (just behind Kingdom Hearts 2 and WipEout HD Fury due to memories) and it's in Alpha.
Huh.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Dr.Noid

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 02:50:09 AM »

After version 0.99 comes version... 0.100!

To all those who think development on Starfarer is going (too) slow I can only suggest trying their own hand at game development. Developing a game is hard and takes a lot of time.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7