Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mechwarrior: Living Legends  (Read 8449 times)

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
Mechwarrior: Living Legends
« on: July 26, 2012, 09:35:53 PM »

Mechwarrior: Living Legends
is likely the best mechwarrior "game" yet released. I put game in quotes because MWLL is actually a mod for the game crysis wars, but i'll be damned if you remember this fact while playing. Unlike other MechWarrior games, MWLL is combined arms and brings battle armor, tanks, wheeled vehicles, vtols, aerospace, and hovercraft all onto the same battlefield as mechs. It also brings in many new mechanics like damage offload time for lasers and real projectiles for ballistic weapons(this is all compared to the ages old mechwarrior 4). It won first place for mod of the year when it was released, and has since then been the user selected honorable mention every year (cant win twice). If you're a fan of mech games you need to give this a try.

Heres some promo video links for the purpose of promo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wROmf0d65A4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70yNAwUUsc0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNFeE8mIlxQ

To top it off they just released version 0.6.0, probably the biggest single release yet with 2 aerospace, 5 mechs, a vtol and a wheeled tank along with a ton of other new features and changes. come play if you have crysis wars, or better yet, buy crysis warhead just for this because its worth it.

It being a mod it takes a slight of effort to get working the way you want it to, so have this link to a starter guide on the MWLL forums: http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/topic,18022.0.html It should also help you not ragequit right away, this game has quite the learning curve to tackle to go further than newbie level.

PS. MWO is probably going to be coming out within the year but i don't think it's going to surpass MWLL in anything but convenience for some time to come. They also have fundamentally different mechanics and game design in many areas.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
Re: Mechwarrior: Living Legends
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 05:30:54 AM »

HOLY FUUUUUUUU, MECH WARRIOR IS BACK!?!? AWESOME!

In all seriousness, I loved that game as a child, me and my brother spent hours and hours trying to best each-others designs ha ha.

He always went for power, and I went for speed and agility to whoop his ass, Worked every time! :D
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 10:36:08 AM »

Looks awesome, but I'm still holding out for MechWarrior: Online. I REALLY hope that will be worth waiting for.

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 02:06:29 PM »

HOLY FUUUUUUUU, MECH WARRIOR IS BACK!?!? AWESOME!

well to be fair this mod has been out, playable, and awesome since 09. But you'll be happy to hear the official MWO is coming out too, along with mechwarrior tactics and a few other lesser mechwarrior games. Im pretty sure MWLL is responsible for the reawakening of the mechwarrior series.

angrytigerp

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 02:18:08 PM »

Looks awesome, but I'm still holding out for MechWarrior: Online. I REALLY hope that will be worth waiting for.

You really shouldn't hold out too tightly. I've played MWLL and it is an outstanding mod, almost a standalone game in an of itself.

The singular drawback, and this is because the engine/netcode just doesn't allow for it, is lack of a mechlab.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 02:19:26 PM »

I have never played Mechwarrior, but I did play Chromehounds. It was basically 'build your own mech, create a Private Military Company (Mercenaries), get a team together, do missions' the online mode actually featured countries that were at war and lost and regained control of territory. There were RPG elements, and I've gotta admit - rolling around on a quad leg mech with two massive double battleship cannons on my side was pretty great
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Wriath

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 02:33:44 PM »

I'd probably give the guys at www.mektek.net at least as much credit for their mw4 mod work, independent game work, and being the main mechwarrior (emphasis on mechwarrior, not necessarily battletech) community around. MWLL is kickarse, but if you haven't checked out the free mw4mercs release with the mektek mech packs you're definitely missing out.
(edited for censorship)

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 03:21:03 PM »

Aye, mw4 is definitely worth checking out too especially now that its free. I dont think what they've done with mw4 (adding new mechs and BA and stuff) is comparable to turning crysis wars into a mechwarrior game though, it still feels like the same old mw4. And you need a joystick unless you're fine with aiming using the numpad.

Wriath

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 12:42:55 PM »

keyboard and mouse setup always served me just fine

Unwoundpath

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 02:29:38 PM »

I played with both, Basically a joystick is needed for any good play, in some of these games.

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 07:47:22 PM »

keyboard and mouse setup always served me just fine

there was a mouse option in mw4?

Wriath

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 09:04:35 AM »

Yeah you can set the mouse up to either control pitch and torso twist or pitch and turning, I've been using the arrow keys for turning and the mouse for torso like in mw2 mercs and it's pretty effective.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 07:59:06 AM »

To be fair, the Cryengine 2 is horrible for the game, and the developers agree, but they've put too much work so far to start from scratch with a new engine. The mech falling physics are not even close to being 'physics' and the juttering and stuttering of such brakes immersion. Though if you stay on solid ground and play through, it's a fun experience. Will definetly keep its place even after MechWarrior Online launches.

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 01:23:08 AM »

Recently made a trailer for this awesome mod: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa9agO0tAkI

Not bad for the first trailer i've made, i think.

Also go play MWLL

Rowanas

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 01:49:40 AM »

I'm not even bothering with MW:O It's all about MW:Tactics for me.
Pages: [1] 2