Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Wider maximum zoom out?  (Read 3465 times)

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
Wider maximum zoom out?
« on: September 01, 2011, 06:33:38 AM »

I pre-ordered the game two days ago on the strength of the videos of gameplay available online and frankly I'm astonished that an alpha build feels this polished. Yeah, I know there's going to be a spiffy strategic mode eventually (which is why I'm not fretting the single missions only condition overmuch - like I said, alpha!) but the balance, the visuals, the gameplay, it all feels pretty mature already. I'm having a lot of fun with the game as is, so I'm really anxious to see how great it will be when finished. I also like the direction the tactical map screen has taken - I saw videos of the more RTS style in the previous versions and read the devs' rationale for the new system and not having tried the old one, I do believe this one fits better for the game.

Edit: Also, the combat model is surprisingly deep for what's essentially action-based interaction, what with the flux mechanics, how they interact with shields, the multitude of weapon types and the rest. I like it! Are there plans to introduce critical damage (components of the ship like weapons, engines, etc. breaking down due to combat damage) at some point? I can understand if there aren't - it might be too much - just curious.

There's only really one significant issue I have with the game currently (that doesn't have to do with the alpha state) - the maximum zoom-out distance is significantly too low for my taste. It's hard to get a good tactical feel of what's going on around me without jumping into the map screen, which interrupts the flow of combat and isn't really useful for actual combat encounters. I have a feeling it may be a resolution related issue since the game seems to be sprite based - my screen's maximum resolution is 1440*900, which means that at times, I can barely see enemies before they enter my weapons range. Perhaps on larger resolutions the maximum zoom-out range is larger, but it's a problem for me at the moment. I mean, I'm not looking for a Supreme Commander level zooms obviously, but even twice as far out on maximum would be a huge help.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 06:41:45 AM by Thana »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Wider maximum zoom out?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 07:45:52 AM »

Hi Thana! Thanks, I'm happy to hear you like the game.

Are there plans to introduce critical damage (components of the ship like weapons, engines, etc. breaking down due to combat damage) at some point? I can understand if there aren't - it might be too much - just curious.

I'll just say it's a possibility we're looking at :)

There's only really one significant issue I have with the game currently (that doesn't have to do with the alpha state) - the maximum zoom-out distance is significantly too low for my taste. It's hard to get a good tactical feel of what's going on around me without jumping into the map screen, which interrupts the flow of combat and isn't really useful for actual combat encounters. I have a feeling it may be a resolution related issue since the game seems to be sprite based - my screen's maximum resolution is 1440*900, which means that at times, I can barely see enemies before they enter my weapons range. Perhaps on larger resolutions the maximum zoom-out range is larger, but it's a problem for me at the moment. I mean, I'm not looking for a Supreme Commander level zooms obviously, but even twice as far out on maximum would be a huge help.

Hmm. You do know that moving the mouse around pans the view, right? I only ask because even running at the lowest resolution (1024x768) you can still see right around the maximum range of your longest range direct-fire weapons at the default zoom level, and well past that if you zoom out. You have to move the mouse right up to the edge of the screen to see the farthest possible.

Are you running full-screen, by the way? If not, then try it - in windowed mode, the default zoom level is one game pixel per screen pixel, while in full-screen mode there's scaling to make the minimum visible game world dimensions be 1280x1024. The upshot is at your monitor resolution, you'll see more area in fullscreen than in windowed mode.

As far as increasing the zoom level specifically, that's not likely - we're building the game around playing at those zoom levels, as far as both the graphics (the "Supreme Commander" problems show up faster than one might expect) and the actual combat mechanics. But other improvements to help with general tactical awareness - such as improving the usefulness of the radar ribbon, for example - are certainly on the table.

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 08:31:39 AM »

Hi Thana! Thanks, I'm happy to hear you like the game.

Oh yes indeed I do! And while of course looking forward to the final release, even the next release will undoubtedly be a huge step up, if I'm correct that it's going to have the ship outfitting customisation and battle design features available!

Hmm. You do know that moving the mouse around pans the view, right? I only ask because even running at the lowest resolution (1024x768) you can still see right around the maximum range of your longest range direct-fire weapons at the default zoom level, and well past that if you zoom out. You have to move the mouse right up to the edge of the screen to see the farthest possible.

Are you running full-screen, by the way? If not, then try it - in windowed mode, the default zoom level is one game pixel per screen pixel, while in full-screen mode there's scaling to make the minimum visible game world dimensions be 1280x1024. The upshot is at your monitor resolution, you'll see more area in fullscreen than in windowed mode.

As far as increasing the zoom level specifically, that's not likely - we're building the game around playing at those zoom levels, as far as both the graphics (the "Supreme Commander" problems show up faster than one might expect) and the actual combat mechanics. But other improvements to help with general tactical awareness - such as improving the usefulness of the radar ribbon, for example - are certainly on the table.

Yeah, I know about the view panning, but that results in me being able to see the enemy but not myself. (Or anyone else creeping up on me from behind or from the sides. Like pesky bombers on attack runs.) But yes, I'm running at full-screen.

Maybe I'll get more accustomed to it later, I just thought I'd mention it since it's been my biggest problem after I read the manual and got a better understanding of the flux mechanics and tactics.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 09:16:26 AM »

Hmm... yeah. I get what you're saying. Where to look is a tactical decision, but giving you more information/warnings about what's going on would be a good thing. As an example, specifically re: bombing runs, there'll be a different chime sound when there are incoming missiles/bombs/torpedoes that you're in danger of being hit by.