Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: id like info about graviton beam and high intensity laser  (Read 5040 times)

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
id like info about graviton beam and high intensity laser
« on: July 20, 2012, 03:28:15 PM »

yeah so yesterday ive been playing a lot with all weapons as part of my "learn-to-get-familiar-with-the-weapons" program.

may i say im deeply in love with the plasma cannon :P

but on to the real thing, the graviton beam and the high intensity laser.
id like to learn more from other people about it. after all my tests, both have come out as downright useless as far as i saw.

during even fights and even some where i was outnumbered, i sustained grav beam and HIL fire for extended period without having any problem.

truth be told, i could just ignore the ship who were using them :S

Chancellor Meatsteak

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: id like info about graviton beam and high intensity laser
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 04:38:32 PM »

I can't comment on the HIL as I haven't used it much, but I do use the graviton beam a bit. While graviton beams are most definitely not shield breakers thanks to doing only soft flux they can still make it harder for the enemy to fire their weapons as their venting is being cut into. Granted, even then you will raise flux slightly more with a pulse laser, but the graviton beam makes up for it by being very flux efficient. I usually use graviton beams on ships designs that rely on outlasting the enemy but don't have enough venting left to spare for pulse lasers.

I can see why you may not find it useful, though. It is not good in situations where pure firepower is important or when retreating to vent is easy. As well its effect is less noticeable than other weapons as most of it comes when the target is also generating soft flux.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 05:23:12 PM »

I like graviton beams a lot myself - they just play a very different role than most other weapons. Beams in general are very different, to be honest. They may have larger slots, but the graviton and HIL are support weapons. They are really good against fighters and can harass very effectively. I put 3 of them on the Eagles medium energy slots and find them to work very well.

Check out this thread for a discussion on graviton beams, but be warned its a little long :P:
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=3065.0

I'm using a HIL now on my Odyssey but haven't really decided on it. Its probably a good choice on a support Sunder, but I haven't deployed any of them recently.

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 06:07:16 PM »

weird that you would mention 3 grav beam on an eagle because thats one in particuliar that i found especially useless, both fighting agaisnt and as one.

for the odyssey, i cant tell, its one of the ship hulls i use the least, willingly or not.
i tend to see only plasma or autopulse to be worth a large energy slot.

neonesis

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 06:59:59 PM »

Graviton beam is very, very useful - it simply makes your opponent raise more flux than you spend on firing. Secondly, it renders enemy fighters helpless because it spins them around when it even barely touches them.

Try Eagle with the following setup - three graviton beams, three heavy maulers, one burst PD laser, two IR pulse lasers, two PD lasers at the back, integrated targeting unit, and everything else into vents. It works well for me.

As for HIL, it's a debatable weapon. And I don't really think anymore it is good to explain it's role - just try it yourself, and see whether it works for you. If not, try differently, or don't bother.

Yeah, it's all about trying ;)

Kommodore Krieg

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 07:30:04 PM »

I believe for beams to be truly effective they need to be used in specific builds, builds which emphasize their benefits, which are long range and low flux generation.  Build to outlast when using beams, not to win fights quickly.  A paragon with 4 HIL, a bunch of grav beams, tac lasers and some burst pd, enough vents to have 0 flux generation with shields up, lots of capacitors, hardened shields, stabilized shields and advanced optics is probably one of the best cap ships in the game.  You melt things very quickly while being quite untouchable because of your huge flux reserve which can be devoted to your .4-.5ish damage to flux ratio shields, long range, and low flux generation.  Use beams en mass an only in builds that emphasize their strengths, long range and sustainability, and you'll do well with them. 

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 09:04:25 PM »

i hope the person in question read this (cause i forgot where i saw it)
but thanks for the disco welder paragon build. its a winner, i just tested it.
i was pretty surprised of its effectiveness.

for those who wonders, the build is about loading all of the paragon's mount with HIL, grav beam and tac lasers, with max coils, coil adjunct, integrated targeting and stabalized shield.

you just raise your shield and go in, the flux build-up was incredibly slow it was insane

leonvision

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 11:20:55 PM »

i use a sunder with HIL and 2gav beam(for the range, will change to phase after 0.53a), 2 needler and pd on the rear, adv. optics, auxiliary thursters, flux coils, it's not exactly a fast killer but it's quite effective at both bringing down fighters and frigates on its own and harassing and keeping pressure on larger ships. i've tried changing the HIL for a autopulse, it's pretty good, but its sustained dps isnt that good. i never have considered tachyon lance due to OP cost or plasma cannon because of the flux cost.

all in all, i dont think any of the beam weapons in the game is for quick kills, and usually used for support. think of it this way, if you're keeping a constant beam on a hostile ship, they usually cant vent, lest they take a huge up to their armor/hull.
twitter: lagdotexe - mainly about gaming

neonesis

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 05:10:35 AM »

for those who wonders, the build is about loading all of the paragon's mount with HIL, grav beam and tac lasers, with max coils, coil adjunct, integrated targeting and stabalized shield.

you just raise your shield and go in, the flux build-up was incredibly slow it was insane
You can even take on three Onslaughts at the same time if you're skilled :>

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 09:17:29 AM »

You can even take on three Onslaughts at the same time if you're skilled :>

cool. (but im not skilled :P )