Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 107

Author Topic: [0.95a] Shadowyards Reconstruction Authority 0.9.5-rc4(4/12/21)  (Read 1115259 times)

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: (0.54.1a) Shadowyards Heavy Industries v0.3.2c
« Reply #225 on: April 21, 2013, 12:33:39 PM »

It looks good. I was having the most trouble with the cyan regions. I think it's interesting that the outline made the mount and cyan hull more distinct, but that is what it took to make them feel connected.

I'm sorry if i missed it, but what will the ship system be?
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 21, 2013, 12:41:22 PM »

I was planning on one of these three:

• Phase Teleporter system, similar to Aurora's--less range, fewer charges;
  • Supercharged Phase Skimmer system, longer range, more charges;
  • AoE fleet support system (increased damage resistance or flux dissipation);

Probably not the bottom one though.  Unfortunately I seem to have come down with something, which has kind of stymied my ability to get anything done today--I was hoping to have another dev version ready for release this evening but I don't think I can manage it.  Sorry.

conorano

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 21, 2013, 01:02:58 PM »

the ship looks awsome, even better then i thought it would be.

as for the system, i would go with 2 it would be fun to run right in front of an oanslaught and then phase skim and get his engines from behind. but that might be too much range. (this probably wont work becouse getting infront of an oanslaught is suicide XD)

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 21, 2013, 04:00:26 PM »

Probably not the bottom one though.  Unfortunately I seem to have come down with something, which has kind of stymied my ability to get anything done today--I was hoping to have another dev version ready for release this evening but I don't think I can manage it.  Sorry.

The vanilla aurora (the mitten shaped one) has the high energy focus. Is there another one in a mod?

One of the capital ships from IFed has a phase system. It's more like a battleship so it is absolutely terrifying when jumps on you. Typically the AI mostly uses it for retreat though so it isn't broken (for the AI). I haven't had a chance to use it so i don't know if players would terrorize the sector with it.

I think a regenerating phase skimmer would make sense on a battlecruiser though. It would behave somewhat similarly to the auxiliary engines on the conquest. It would probably need twice the skip range compared to normal though. I read somewhere that the wolf and medusa skip 100 su. I don't know if that is accurate.
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 21, 2013, 04:23:37 PM »

The vanilla aurora (the mitten shaped one) has the high energy focus. Is there another one in a mod?

One of the capital ships from IFed has a phase system. It's more like a battleship so it is absolutely terrifying when jumps on you. Typically the AI mostly uses it for retreat though so it isn't broken (for the AI). I haven't had a chance to use it so i don't know if players would terrorize the sector with it.

I think a regenerating phase skimmer would make sense on a battlecruiser though. It would behave somewhat similarly to the auxiliary engines on the conquest. It would probably need twice the skip range compared to normal though. I read somewhere that the wolf and medusa skip 100 su. I don't know if that is accurate.

the Ifed ship with phase teleporter is broken as all hell. the cooldown on it is way too short. once it decide to retreat theres absolutely no way to catch it

Thule

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 21, 2013, 05:22:16 PM »

I love your art in general, really cool stuff. The new ship is great but what i think could improve it would be a bit more depth.

I shopped your latest sprite to show what could be done with some simple adjustments.

Original:

Altered:

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 21, 2013, 05:36:00 PM »

Niceee
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 21, 2013, 07:10:13 PM »

I like the increased contrast but it's definitely too dark!

Thule

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 21, 2013, 07:21:11 PM »

Yeah, i guess you're right. The image itself should just serve as a proof of concept how shadows ships could benefit of ...uhm...lets say post processing ;)

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 21, 2013, 07:26:36 PM »

I do agree, the quality is top notch but vanilla ships have generally a little bit more contrast then SHI ships.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 22, 2013, 07:09:40 AM »

Yeah, i guess you're right. The image itself should just serve as a proof of concept how shadows ships could benefit of ...uhm...lets say post processing ;)

Hmmm... I suppose you're right.  It's been a bit of a weakness of mine; perhaps I should work up from darker colors?

Well, in any case, I should at least work a bit more on the gubbins for this ship.  For some reason they looked fine to me before but I've kinda realized that they're a bit flatter than the should be from your edit.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 22, 2013, 12:33:28 PM »

Much improved, yes; the one thing I'd comment is that, personally, I think the three small mounts I mentioned actually looked better in the original - those are the farthest ones to each of left & right, plus the middle(front to back) one on the left side of the ship.  Still, the others are *much* improved.

And the thing I'd look at most on Thule's modification is the shadows - the brown hull sections on his version look *way* better.  Yeah, yeah, the thing is overall too dark, especially the green.  But that's not the important part.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 22, 2013, 10:26:00 PM »

Heh, well, I've played around with the contrast for a bit, but the big news is that the dev version has received another update.  Added is the Mimir class battlecruiser and it's fearsome Nidhoggr Lance, as well as the imaginatively named "wavebeam," a large SHI energy weapon that currently lacks a hardpoint sprite but whose turret sprite seems to work well enough.  There is also possibly better AI for the Elysiums ship system and some very brief descriptions for the ships, which will likely receive some considerable revision.

Download is, again, available =here= if you're in any way interested.  Let me know if anything's too badly out of balance.

Oh, I also threw in a very silly mission so you could experiment with the Mimir; hope you have fun with her.

Screenshot below:
Spoiler
[close]

Cheers.

Edit:  I should have noted this last night, but I was tired and forgot: the Nidhoggr makes use of Lazy Wizards piercing weapons script.  Sorry bout forgetting to credit that.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 06:23:49 AM by MShadowy »

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 23, 2013, 07:53:31 AM »

Dude that bullet fx is amazing, how'd you do that?!?!?
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 23, 2013, 08:02:54 AM »

Dude that bullet fx is amazing, how'd you do that?!?!?

I was experimenting with different beam styles for it, and noticed that there were a couple that I hadn't seen used in the "starsector/graphics/fx" folder.  On a hunch I put in the names for one of them into the textureType entry (specifically WEAVE) and it turned out, well, like that.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 107