Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 107

Author Topic: [0.95a] Shadowyards Reconstruction Authority 0.9.5-rc4(4/12/21)  (Read 1115518 times)

Thule

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: (0.54.1a) Shadowyards Heavy Industries v0.3.2c
« Reply #210 on: April 18, 2013, 11:25:44 PM »

Nice.

Is it just me or does the armor plating pattern give a sliiiiiight hint to celtic knots? Would fit the overall "organic/tree/plant" theme quite well.

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 18, 2013, 11:58:51 PM »

i barely see the difference between the two...

There wasn't really intended to be too much of a difference, just enough to break up the "extrudedness" of the bow in Eftaks words.  I've actually already pushed it a bit further, and while the differences are somewhat minor I'm actually quite happy with the possibilities.

Edit:  Rough details for the hull are now completed!

oh scheisse, the plating really makes the difference. awesome !
you should commemorate by making a large weapon for it. i know i suggested a large CECP for it but im sure you can come up with something original !

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 19, 2013, 01:05:15 AM »

I really like it. What kind of battleship will it be? Some powerhouse like the Onslaught or more of a trickster with drones or some other weird stuffs?

Also, it is surprisinigly spiky compared to the usual Shadowyards design. Remind a bit of that bio-ship i saw on Deviantart.

Spoiler
[close]

Anyway, i can't wait to try this one. Also, +1 for a heavy CECP.

Etfaks

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 19, 2013, 02:07:55 AM »

It's so much better with the armor plating breaking up the monotony. What sort of "capital size" are you planning for the beast?
Dev of the mod "The Hoplites of Corinth" and  artist for "Portraits Galore".

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 19, 2013, 06:41:07 AM »

Nice.

Is it just me or does the armor plating pattern give a sliiiiiight hint to celtic knots? Would fit the overall "organic/tree/plant" theme quite well.

A bit, I suppose, hehe.  It should end up looking quite a bit better with some more refinement, glad you like it.

oh scheisse, the plating really makes the difference. awesome !
you should commemorate by making a large weapon for it. i know i suggested a large CECP for it but im sure you can come up with something original !

I really like it. What kind of battleship will it be? Some powerhouse like the Onslaught or more of a trickster with drones or some other weird stuffs?

Also, it is surprisinigly spiky compared to the usual Shadowyards design. Remind a bit of that bio-ship i saw on Deviantart.

Spoiler
[close]

Anyway, i can't wait to try this one. Also, +1 for a heavy CECP.

Glad you both like it.  As for large weapons systems I was thinking of one or two beam weapons systems; I know for certain that I want to put in a somewhat powerful short duration beam cannon, possibly using an emp arc effect on it.

On the subject of her type, I hadn't quite decided; I was initially thinking I might give her a phase teleporter similar to the Aurora's system, but that might be a bit much on a Capital ship.

Regarding the spikier than normal appearance...

Spoiler

[close]

I may have been watching too much Macross.

It's so much better with the armor plating breaking up the monotony. What sort of "capital size" are you planning for the beast?

She's a Battlecruiser.

Edit:  Sprite's ready!

1x Large Built-In Hardpoint, 2x Large energy mounts, 3x Med. energy mounts, 2x med missile mounts, 7x small energy mounts is the current setup.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 01:30:02 PM by MShadowy »

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 19, 2013, 02:08:55 PM »

Hm.  The weapon mounts look pasted-on.  Maybe add some texturing to the shell plating around them, something to indicate a bevelled edge or the like?
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 19, 2013, 02:29:36 PM »

Hm.  The weapon mounts look pasted-on.  Maybe add some texturing to the shell plating around them, something to indicate a bevelled edge or the like?
This.
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 19, 2013, 03:13:14 PM »

ive always thought (like many suggested) that you should add more details around mounts or give them a tint more in-line with S.H.I ships

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 19, 2013, 03:27:59 PM »

Hmmm... I already put in some bevelling on her; guess it wasn't enough.

I'll try something else.

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 19, 2013, 03:46:00 PM »

Hmmm... I already put in some bevelling on her; guess it wasn't enough.

I'll try something else.

its mostly because the light grey of the slots badly contrast with the greenish-blue/brown tones of your ships  :-\

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 19, 2013, 04:07:52 PM »

I think an issue with why the placements look so awkward is because the lower half of the ship is fairly symmetrical but the placements are for lack of a better word, random. A but more work is needed along the larges, but it's getting there ;)

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 19, 2013, 04:10:38 PM »

Try locking all the placements in the same direction, even if the weapons are not directed that way.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 19, 2013, 04:15:54 PM »

Basically, right now it looks like you've got some gray discs floating over the ship.  There's no connection between the mount points and the underlying hull.  Think about where this exist in 3-D space - are they recessed?  Then the surrounding hull needs to appear to slope down, falling into shadow right around the mount points.  Are they raised above the rest of the hull?  Then that needs to be displayed, too.

A couple of the small mounts actually look pretty good - most notably, the one at middle-left, and the two at either of leftmost/rightmost on the bottom bulge area.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 20, 2013, 01:49:20 PM »

Alright, is this better?  I attempted to push the up the bevelling a bit but it didn't really stand out as much as I hoped, so I eventually threw my hands up and did the easiest thing I could think of; adding outlines around the turret bases to give the impression that the hull cuts back around the gun mounts.

Hopefully this works.

SteelRonin

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 21, 2013, 01:40:15 AM »

Perfect!

:)
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 107