Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 107

Author Topic: [0.95a] Shadowyards Reconstruction Authority 0.9.5-rc4(4/12/21)  (Read 1115499 times)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: (0.54.1a) Shadowyards Heavy Industries v0.3.2c
« Reply #120 on: March 10, 2013, 07:29:11 PM »

Neat.  Assuming those turrets are 2x medium, 6x small, and the built-in weapon is reasonably balanced, that should be roughly even with the Falcon (assuming that 2x medium ballistic hardpoints are roughly equal to one fancy built-in weapon).  So, light cruiser or maybe heavy destroyer sounds like the right designation - the other ship I'd compare it with is the Sunder.

As for the bridge... I liked the original off-center design; I'd at least try that and see how it looks.

Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 10, 2013, 07:48:30 PM »

Neat.  Assuming those turrets are 2x medium, 6x small, and the built-in weapon is reasonably balanced, that should be roughly even with the Falcon (assuming that 2x medium ballistic hardpoints are roughly equal to one fancy built-in weapon).  So, light cruiser or maybe heavy destroyer sounds like the right designation - the other ship I'd compare it with is the Sunder.

As for the bridge... I liked the original off-center design; I'd at least try that and see how it looks.

Well, I'll give it another try.  I didn't particularly like how it looked earlier, but it might be worth doing again.  I have got another idea as well now, so we'll see.

As for the armament, you've guessed correctly; I was debating between light missile mounts at the front or turrets, but decided on having small hardpoints since, in theory at least, the big gun should be giving the Elysium her killing punch.

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 11, 2013, 02:46:21 PM »

I enjoy this mod very much. I've been playing as SHI in Uomoz's 17.

I was wondering if the shrike missiles are supposed to be paper thin. Compared with a harpoon that can withstand 1 shot from a burst pd (and be killed by the second) the shrikes can be killed by a meager MG bullet.

I understand if its intentional because no matter what it hits it will do something, but to successfully use it I've had to close to point blank and fire.

Edit: It appears the blackcap is as fragile. The swarmers drop pretty easy too, but it fires off a pair at a time on the 4 op mount. I don't usually use anti-fighter missiles because i load up on the pd energy or ballistic mounts, but i thought i'd give it a look for funsies.

Is the integrated weapon set in stone? What if the weapon was offset opposite the bridge? So the ship was asymmetrically symmetric. If that makes sense.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 11:23:53 AM by CopperCoyote »
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.

Etfaks

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 13, 2013, 05:42:46 AM »

Your designs are amazing and really makes me want to start up a new/continue my old ship mod. I'm Looking forward to trying some of your new ships in uomoz's compilation when it gets updated and all that :)
Dev of the mod "The Hoplites of Corinth" and  artist for "Portraits Galore".

banehunter

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 13, 2013, 10:13:56 PM »

Your designs are amazing and really makes me want to start up a new/continue my old ship mod. I'm Looking forward to trying some of your new ships in uomoz's compilation when it gets updated and all that :)
I just checked out some of your work and man it looks pretty damn solid, I would bump the original thread,but that might be a hard necro.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 14, 2013, 06:43:48 AM »

Awww, thanks you two.

Though I'm sorry to say I ended up wasting my day off yesterday playin' games, so I'm not very much closer to releasing the next version.  D'oh!

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 17, 2013, 10:34:54 AM »

Bumpan' me own thread.  Ah, how sad.  Ah well.  This took me way, way longer than it should have due to my unfortunate tendency to be distracted by shiny objects.  Gonna work on finishing up the Shamash now.

The lights are currently just stand ins to give an approximate idea where there going to be; the actual lights will get put in after I'm done scaling down and cleaning up the image for putting into the game; I also pulled out the high res turret bases from a large image of the Morningstar I had laying around to make it look a bit less unfinished.

I also may take a bit of time today to put together some general thoughts on what exactly this things special weapon does, as well as some possible ideas regarding combat readiness and Shadowyards line of frigates.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 17, 2013, 11:17:13 AM »

Love it. Have you considered straight metallic details to break up the brown part of the hull a bit? For instance, on the engines?

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 17, 2013, 11:27:37 AM »

Not in particular, but I can't say it's a bad idea.  There are probably a few areas that such a contrast might help getting popping; I'll probably experiment with it when I get it scaled down.

zeno0010

• Lieutenant
  • Light Shines Brightest In The Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 17, 2013, 07:22:31 PM »

Its like christmas ^_^

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 17, 2013, 07:59:09 PM »

how about a tear-drop shaped bridge in that big gaping hole, kept in place by girders

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 17, 2013, 09:29:36 PM »

I can easily see an animated plasma beam or electrical arcs spanning between the two metal points in the center of that ship. :)

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 18, 2013, 08:21:17 AM »

I can easily see an animated plasma beam or electrical arcs spanning between the two metal points in the center of that ship. :)

That was exactly what I had in mind.  I'll have to post the Shamash and the special weapons explanations this evening; I had guests over somewhat unexpectedly and I didn't have time to do a write up last night.

Edit:  Alrighty, still got a bit of cleanup to do (neither of these ships are popping quite yet) but I'm close I think.  The Shamash I thought could use a slightly different color schema due to being a phase ship but I'm not so sure about it.  I remembered, way back when I first did the Charybdis, someone did a few swaps of the colors and one of the ended up with a nice bluish color on the exposed greeblies.

And the work image of the Shamash, still with the original underlaiment coloration, for comparisons sake.

Okay, so special weapons talk, will be coming in a little while.  Gotta do the write up but I have to run around for a bit first.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 04:04:12 PM by MShadowy »

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 18, 2013, 05:03:55 PM »

Hm... I could actually really see that with the old plasma cannon implementation - back when it was a charge-up weapon, rather than the current three-shot burst.  (Hold down fire to charge; projectile gets bigger over time, fires when you release or when it reaches maximum size.)

Unfortunately, I didn't save that ancient copy of Starfarer (yes, it was Starfarer back then, too) - so I'm not sure how to implement such a thing.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 18, 2013, 05:10:53 PM »

Edit:  Alrighty, still got a bit of cleanup to do (neither of these ships are popping quite yet) but I'm close I think.  The Shamash I thought could use a slightly different color schema due to being a phase ship but I'm not so sure about it.  I remembered, way back when I first did the Charybdis, someone did a few swaps of the colors and one of the ended up with a nice bluish color on the exposed greeblies.

That was me :D.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 107