Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 107

Author Topic: [0.95a] Shadowyards Reconstruction Authority 0.9.5-rc4(4/12/21)  (Read 1115447 times)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: (0.54.1a) Shadowyards Heavy Industries v0.3.2c
« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2013, 05:38:34 PM »

Ooh, shiny.  Though, the straight line at the back of the dome at the front doesn't seem to quite fit - I think it might look better with a bit of an arc (in either direction)?  (Edit: Or greebles.  Greebles fix everything, and this is still at the sketch stage...)

As for trailing radiators - consider the weapon glow of the Nevermore from Blackrock Drive Yards - for a fixed forward weapon, it's easy to make fancy vent glows.

That said, one thing to keep in mind is that those wings are going to be very vulnerable once shields go down - long thin bits mean few armor cells means high potential damage; I'd suggest this should be a ship with a relatively strong frontal shield.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2013, 05:47:08 PM »

I completely love the shape of the Elysium.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 07, 2013, 05:56:55 PM »

Ooh, shiny.  Though, the straight line at the back of the dome at the front doesn't seem to quite fit - I think it might look better with a bit of an arc (in either direction)?  (Edit: Or greebles.  Greebles fix everything, and this is still at the sketch stage...)

As for trailing radiators - consider the weapon glow of the Nevermore from Blackrock Drive Yards - for a fixed forward weapon, it's easy to make fancy vent glows.

That said, one thing to keep in mind is that those wings are going to be very vulnerable once shields go down - long thin bits mean few armor cells means high potential damage; I'd suggest this should be a ship with a relatively strong frontal shield.

Hmmm... an arc?  Maybe.  I'll come up with something I'm sure.  And of course, there's always greebles.

In any case thanks for the advice; I was probably going to check out BRDY anyway, among other things, in order to get some ideas on how to implement the weapon on this thing.

I completely love the shape of the Elysium.

D'aawww.  Thank ye, kind Uomoz.

zeno0010

• Lieutenant
  • Light Shines Brightest In The Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 07, 2013, 09:19:31 PM »

Love it, Love seeing you back on the forms. cant wait for the next update.
P.S. i saw on your deviant art the girl portraits on your mods are succubi. is SHI run by a race of pure succubi? 0_o

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 07, 2013, 09:49:08 PM »

Love it, Love seeing you back on the forms. cant wait for the next update.
P.S. i saw on your deviant art the girl portraits on your mods are succubi. is SHI run by a race of pure succubi? 0_o

Nah, that's sort of separate.  I just liked the picture.  Canonically the reason such a thing has occurred essentially that SHI has gathered a diverse grouping of dissidents, social outcasts and weirdos; they also have rather aggressively pursued very advanced medical technology.  Combined with some social oddities (particularly among the officer corps there is a very strong drive to stand out, above and beyond merely excelling) means that body mods of various degrees of complexity are rather commonplace; from crude cybernetics, to wild tattoos, and even to convincingly resculpting your body to resemble a pop-culturized version of mythological beings.

Essentially it was just an excuse to include whatever portraits I happened to come up with.  I just... haven't come with any others yet.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 09, 2013, 07:22:47 AM »

Just out of curiosity is there any chanced the beloved Interdiction BC will see some sort of hardpoint upgrade?

Right now it just doesn't seem to be worth the 100k price tag with no more then 1 large hardpoint.

I play Uomoz's alot and even when I don't I enjoy having a highly specialized, and flexible ship because I find the entire command tree to be a waste of attribute points. :(

Interdiction BC?  Uh... do you mean the Charybdis?

I mean I guess I could go over it again, and I'll probably revisit my earlier ships again later on to bring them up to snuff, but there weren't any plans for that for the next release.  At most maybe retouching the sprites for the Skinwalker and Neriad, which don't seem to pop quite so well to me any more.

Anyway, minor update to the Elysiums hull shape, as well as a draft of the Shamash.  I'll probably have to scale the latter down; she seems a little too large, but the shape is right I think.  Alternatively I guess she could just be a very large frigate but that seems more like the Inannas thing.

I hope to have the details done on the Elysium done before the weekend is out, and I'd like to have the Innanas draft ready as well.  For now, 'tis all.

sini002

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2013, 07:26:04 AM »

i really like the shape of the elysium, but won't the "wing" like things at the front just make it a bigger target? if you're not gonna use it for anything special or something :P

Aaaand you posted again wile i was writing or someone did atleast  :

Edit: I really love the updated version of the Elysium still thinking about that it's not that detailed yet :P
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 07:32:40 AM by sini002 »

SainnQ

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 10, 2013, 06:33:22 AM »

Spoiler
Nobody saw that post about an Interdiction BC *Cough* Totally posted in the wrong mod thread
[close]

Nothing to see here...

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 10, 2013, 03:23:59 PM »

Nothing to see here...

Heheh.  Righto.

Anyway, finished detailing the Elysium.  Excepting the bridge, which I've no idea where to put it.  I feel like I've improved at making the underhull details.  Zooming out has the details still reading, but I'd be surprised if I don't have to do a lot of cleaning up, even at only twice the the final size.  I always do with this method.

Apparently Shadowyards engineers can put in an awful lot of Cyclopean faces into their designs when they're motivated.

SainnQ

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 10, 2013, 03:52:01 PM »

Your Shamash draft actually looks like it'd make a great "bridge" of the Elysium

Also the only thing I see as a problem about your current Elysium progress is what I'm assuming are the hardpoint/turret mounts look horrid. They clash like all hell with the Hi-def of the hull in so far.

Will this be a Battlecruiser-Capital ship?

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 10, 2013, 03:59:22 PM »

Your Shamash draft actually looks like it'd make a great "bridge" of the Elysium

Also the only thing I see as a problem about your current Elysium progress is what I'm assuming are the hardpoint/turret mounts look horrid. They clash like all hell with the Hi-def of the hull in so far.

Will this be a Battlecruiser-Capital ship?

The turrets are basically stand-ins to give an idea of the scale once I've got her down to its final size.  I wish I still had those hi-def stand in turret-bases I'd made but I lost them.  As for type, she's a light cruiser; again, she'll be scaled down by about 50% when she's finished.

SainnQ

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 10, 2013, 04:07:11 PM »

Out of curiosity, Tenchi Muyo themed world tree ships influence your design any?

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 10, 2013, 04:15:41 PM »

Out of curiosity, Tenchi Muyo themed world tree ships influence your design any?

Mostly Zentraedi, actually.  They have that kind of bulbous but still mechanical quality to them, which these ships kind of also have.

SainnQ

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 10, 2013, 04:20:39 PM »

Zentraedi? Holy hell it's been years lol.

zeno0010

• Lieutenant
  • Light Shines Brightest In The Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 10, 2013, 05:54:36 PM »

Man macross.....its been a while. Why not bring Zeon into this XD.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 107