Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 107

Author Topic: [0.95a] Shadowyards Reconstruction Authority 0.9.5-rc4(4/12/21)  (Read 1115408 times)

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowyards Heavy Industries
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2012, 10:55:13 AM »

Do what I did, make copies of vanilla weapons (maybe with some small edits, 5 points of range for 5 points of flux and so on, just for making them fit in) with your own graphics.

Hmmm... doesn't feel like it has much point then.  But I'll think on it a bit and try and come up with something more novel than a reskin (its occurred to me that we lack space shotguns).

As far as the mod is concerned, it's taken me longer to get the free time I needed to continue working on this than I expected.  I'm currently in playtesting, and the next version of the mod should be released later today; it's already been updated for 0.53a, so the ships have Systems (though at the moment I'm only decided on the Morningstar, which carries sensor drones).

I've also been doing some considering of the next set of ships I'll be doing and have a sketch up, with a Hound Like Object for size comparison.

Spoiler
[close]

The Seski (Alternatively - Su'en or Nanna) class has been brewing in my head since well before this last patch, so transcribing it went relatively smoothly; it's a fast picket/blockade runner, roughly equivalent with the Hound.  It initially looked perhaps a bit too much like the wolf, so I elongated it's bow and squared it off a bit.

The Shamas class sort of emerged unexpectedly last night after doing a bit of playing around with phase ships and so it's rather more nebulous both in design and purpose.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 05:38:14 PM by MShadowy »

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2012, 11:00:41 AM »

Assuming those black blobs are the Shamas design sketches, I really like the third one.  As for purpose, I'd expect it'll do what all phase frigates do: harass targets by phasing in, firing missiles and antimatter blasters, and then running away again.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2012, 11:10:57 AM »

Assuming those black blobs are the Shamas design sketches, I really like the third one.  As for purpose, I'd expect it'll do what all phase frigates do: harass targets by phasing in, firing missiles and antimatter blasters, and then running away again.

You assume correctly.  After sketching out the rough mess beneath the Rorschach ink blots I realized that the silhouette wasn't very punchy, so I doodled those concentrating on the shape rather than any detail.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2012, 05:43:51 PM »

Alright, it's up.  I've given it a rather more thorough testing this time, so it should be fine, but let me know if you catch anything off.

0.3.1a
Updated to Starfarer 0.53a
Added Point Defense drones to the Charybdis.
Added Sensor Drones to the Morningstar.
Added the Enlil class Multi-Role frigate.
Added two missions:
Triune, an easy mission featuring the Enlil.
Insecurity, a medium difficulty mission which is essentially an all out brawl.
Added a couple character portraits because why not.
Did a little fiddling with the Shadowyards faction (their ships should now carry the Shadowyards Security [SYS] prefix now; changed their protraits because, again, why not?)

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: (0.53a) Shadowyards Heavy Industries
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2012, 08:38:36 PM »

Well, that is... vexing.  I spent most of today attempting to upgrade my copy of Krita to the latest version without success.  To cut a long, sad story short, I had to install the old version again.  And now it won't load the older image files properly.  Oh, it opens them... it just doesn't load any of the data.  And since Krita is basically the graphics image editing software I used to make all these ships I... er, well it seems I just lost all my old files.

/deep breath

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-(we are experiencing technical difficulties, please stand by)

Okay, phew.  That's out of my system.  I'm araid I won't be attempting alternate colour schemes now, though.  In brighter news I managed to get started on the Seski today and have completed the first part of it's creation:

I'm pretty happy with it.  Next up is turning it into a proper sprite.

Also, I had a bit of an odd encounter with a person who wanted to try my mod but was having difficulty finding the download link.  So after attempting to explain it I added a direct link to the file and hoped it would work (it seems it did).  I have since updated the first post with a nice cheery button with said link attached, so now you don't have to visit my crappy deviantart page unless you really want to.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2012, 04:11:45 AM »

I like that, while the ships still maintain their organic shapes, you have chosen to add a straight (dazzle?) paintjob. Very nice!

These ships look very good. Wouldn't mind seeing them in UC, though Uomoz is currently removing some factions. Do you plan to balance your faction with vanilla Starfarer?

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2012, 06:24:56 AM »

I like that, while the ships still maintain their organic shapes, you have chosen to add a straight (dazzle?) paintjob. Very nice!

These ships look very good. Wouldn't mind seeing them in UC, though Uomoz is currently removing some factions. Do you plan to balance your faction with vanilla Starfarer?

I'm glad you like how they're turning out.  Yeah, I think the angularity of the paint scheme contrasts nicely with the organic shapes of the ships, though it's not really an attempt at a dazzle scheme.

As for balancing it against vanilla, yes, that's been the plan since day one, and it seems, at least so far, that I've been rather successful with it.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2012, 10:15:18 AM »

I officially request to add this mod to Uomoz's Corvus, because it has awesome factor +10.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2012, 10:29:02 AM »

Permission granted.  Glad you like it man.  :)

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2012, 10:30:22 AM »

Permission granted.  Glad you like it man.  :)

Oh boy, oh boy! Now the Antediluvians won't feel as alone, with another green faction joining the compilation.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2012, 10:39:59 AM »

Oh boy, oh boy! Now the Antediluvians won't feel as alone, with another green faction joining the compilation.

Well, green is best, ainnit?

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2012, 11:15:36 AM »

I have to say I love the colour schemes on these ships, and I think they are some of the best balanced-against-vanilla so far.

However, if you just want recolours, you can probably manage something that doesn't look awful even without the original files - just get a huge rotation brush and paint away at the coloured parts.  It's not ideal, I know, but certainly doable.

Sunfire

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2012, 12:27:01 PM »

Well, green is best, ainnit?

and the red ones go faster, also, I really like your ship style

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2012, 04:38:17 PM »

I have to say I love the colour schemes on these ships, and I think they are some of the best balanced-against-vanilla so far.

However, if you just want recolours, you can probably manage something that doesn't look awful even without the original files - just get a huge rotation brush and paint away at the coloured parts.  It's not ideal, I know, but certainly doable.

Hmmm... yeah, that could definitely work for the recolouring.  I'll give it a try.  As for the balance... yeah, my process is a bit more intuitive and hands on than plunging into BalanceSuite 5000 (it doesn't quite work right in LibreOffice), I'm afraid, but said "process" seems to work alright for me.

Essentially I kinda just... guess at it.

and the red ones go faster, also, I really like your ship style

Heheh.  Guess I'll need to put in some red ones, eh?  Glad you like it!

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2012, 11:12:32 PM »

Well, I got the sprite done... ish.

I'm actually quite happy with how it turned out!

The first version (the one on the right) ended up being a little shorter than I expected so I gave it a bit of a stretch, which made it look much better; I pulled back the engine and cowling and I was like, "Yeah!"  So then I went through all the trickery of getting it in game, and I'm thinking I may need to stretch it again...

... because this baby is still ridiculously small.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 107