Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 107

Author Topic: [0.95a] Shadowyards Reconstruction Authority 0.9.5-rc4(4/12/21)  (Read 1115572 times)

Killsode

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Shadowyards Reconstruction Authority 0.9.5-rc4(4/12/21)
« Reply #1545 on: September 12, 2022, 08:23:06 AM »

Mining Blaster shows it's DPS incorrectly due to corrupted refire delay
not sure if its supposed to show its DPS at all, as it only has 1 shot. still funny though

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: September 20, 2022, 03:00:28 AM »

Silly question, but how do i hide the unbuildable radiation absorbers at the top of every colonys build list? deleting it from industries.csv just crashed the game, and i couldnt find any tag or other change on that line that would hide it, or even move it from the top of the list. rather annoying imo

Jade Tendency

• Lieutenant
  • Fourth Olympus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: September 20, 2022, 03:16:58 AM »

Only option is to ignore it afik.

Titann

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: September 30, 2022, 11:11:30 AM »

This mod probably got one of most overpowered ships i ever seen. Skadi Carrier can hold 5 cruiser at the same time. Charybdis is like its faster than Destroyers/Frigates with Cruiser Firepower / Attack Carrier firepower its basically super overpowered compared to any other Carriers. Not even talking about these Carriers  super fast speed + speedy boi systems + super tanky shields + high flux capacity, super fast venting, shadowyard weapons literally give them big advantage.

I think you should rebalance those Carriers, they are more dangerous than anything shadowyards put it to space

Edit:
what is mughal particle lance and why it does tons of damage to both shield and armor?
Edit 2:
Shadowyards Frigates also problematic you need super frigates to encounter them and that is not that enough aswell
Also why frigates got cruiser level peak time?
Is this intended? Feels like Templar level faction here
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 11:20:16 AM by Titann »

Gabloc

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: September 30, 2022, 03:31:41 PM »

This mod probably got one of most overpowered ships i ever seen. Skadi Carrier can hold 5 cruiser at the same time. Charybdis is like its faster than Destroyers/Frigates with Cruiser Firepower / Attack Carrier firepower its basically super overpowered compared to any other Carriers. Not even talking about these Carriers  super fast speed + speedy boi systems + super tanky shields + high flux capacity, super fast venting, shadowyard weapons literally give them big advantage.

I think you should rebalance those Carriers, they are more dangerous than anything shadowyards put it to space

Edit:
what is mughal particle lance and why it does tons of damage to both shield and armor?
Edit 2:
Shadowyards Frigates also problematic you need super frigates to encounter them and that is not that enough aswell
Also why frigates got cruiser level peak time?
Is this intended? Feels like Templar level faction here

It's a very old mod (project started in 2012). I agree with you that the Shadowyards carriers/fighters are op, but you can fix the issue yourself by slowing their speed and increasing their DP as the author is not actively updating it. At the end of the day, we should feel fortunate that the mod still has an official patch for 0.95 unlike some other great mods at that time.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: October 01, 2022, 11:19:44 AM »

Alrighty then. So, Gabloc, I am still working on the mod, I just don't have a lot of time to put into it these days; it is not abandoned. I'm largely held up on the content side of things as I am just too busy with other projects to sit down and come up with assets.

As for Titann's post well... it seems pretty obvious you're frustrated by the general mobility of the faction. So, in order: it is true that the Skadi is pretty fast for a capital ship, but it is also fairly OP starved in comparison to the Astral and the Legion, at least in the current public release, and the standard versions ship system at least doesn't really stand out. The Charybdis is only really fast because of it's ship system; without that it'd be stuck with an otherwise moderately above average baseline speed. Generally, though I'd need more information to be sure, it sounds like you might be poorly set up to actually fight them, since it seems like you're not able to pin them down.

As far as your comment on the frigates goes, I will say that I find your contention that you'd need super-frigates to deal with them to be a pretty significant overstatement. Most of them are not particularly exceptional, with the rather obvious exceptions of the Shamash and Ninurta. Also, as an aside, none of the frigates have cruiser amounts of loiter time. Three of them (the Enlil, the Inanna, and the pirate Southpaw) reach destroyer levels of CR, but these ships also are either awkward messes (the Inanna, which is basically a sideways Brawler) or arguably don't really benefit much from having 300 seconds of combat readiness to begin with (the Enlil and Southpaw are both fragile enough to make that somewhat risky.) It's also noteworthy that this flight time is not particularly unusual even for vanilla frigates, as the Brawler and Vanguard both have 300 second deployment times, and the Monitor 360 seconds, though I'd say only the Monitor really benefits from being able to stick on field for so long just because of how good a speed bump it is. All the rest of the SRA's frigates have pretty typical peak CR times of between 120 to 240 seconds.

Finally, comparing the SRA to the Templar seems highly questionable to me. They are, flatly, just not on that level. They might situationally be very hard to fight if you lack a similar level of mobility or enough numbers to bog them down, but they simply don't have that level of punch or durability, and their mobility isn't enough to make up for the difference.

Gabloc

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: October 02, 2022, 11:18:17 PM »

I'm really sorry. It's one of my favorite mods. I'll always look forward to the new contents.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 11:19:48 PM by Gabloc »

Kwbr

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: October 03, 2022, 01:28:27 AM »

it seems more like a case of not understanding your enemy to me. its hard to really take any of that criticism seriously without knowing what you're using to fight them with.

frankly shadowyards requiring actual change in strategy to fight rather than the usual 'do everything' fleet composition / ship loadouts is a very good thing if you ask me

Titann

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: October 03, 2022, 03:13:50 AM »

Alrighty then. So, Gabloc, I am still working on the mod, I just don't have a lot of time to put into it these days; it is not abandoned. I'm largely held up on the content side of things as I am just too busy with other projects to sit down and come up with assets.

As for Titann's post well... it seems pretty obvious you're frustrated by the general mobility of the faction. So, in order: it is true that the Skadi is pretty fast for a capital ship, but it is also fairly OP starved in comparison to the Astral and the Legion, at least in the current public release, and the standard versions ship system at least doesn't really stand out. The Charybdis is only really fast because of it's ship system; without that it'd be stuck with an otherwise moderately above average baseline speed. Generally, though I'd need more information to be sure, it sounds like you might be poorly set up to actually fight them, since it seems like you're not able to pin them down.

As far as your comment on the frigates goes, I will say that I find your contention that you'd need super-frigates to deal with them to be a pretty significant overstatement. Most of them are not particularly exceptional, with the rather obvious exceptions of the Shamash and Ninurta. Also, as an aside, none of the frigates have cruiser amounts of loiter time. Three of them (the Enlil, the Inanna, and the pirate Southpaw) reach destroyer levels of CR, but these ships also are either awkward messes (the Inanna, which is basically a sideways Brawler) or arguably don't really benefit much from having 300 seconds of combat readiness to begin with (the Enlil and Southpaw are both fragile enough to make that somewhat risky.) It's also noteworthy that this flight time is not particularly unusual even for vanilla frigates, as the Brawler and Vanguard both have 300 second deployment times, and the Monitor 360 seconds, though I'd say only the Monitor really benefits from being able to stick on field for so long just because of how good a speed bump it is. All the rest of the SRA's frigates have pretty typical peak CR times of between 120 to 240 seconds.

Finally, comparing the SRA to the Templar seems highly questionable to me. They are, flatly, just not on that level. They might situationally be very hard to fight if you lack a similar level of mobility or enough numbers to bog them down, but they simply don't have that level of punch or durability, and their mobility isn't enough to make up for the difference.
it seems more like a case of not understanding your enemy to me. its hard to really take any of that criticism seriously without knowing what you're using to fight them with.

frankly shadowyards requiring actual change in strategy to fight rather than the usual 'do everything' fleet composition / ship loadouts is a very good thing if you ask me

Tbh There is not that much of problem fighting them. Like i said i only had problem with Skadi and Charybdis because they dont act like Carrier. Of course Skadi is more like Battlecarrier with its offensive weaponary but atleast its not fast. Just compare Charybdis with Frontline Cruisers, you will see Charybdis will go for killing spree because of its Too high flux capacity, Can easly go faster than most Destroyers, Too much tanking capabilities on its Shield, Mediocre Hull/Armor and has access to Large Energy and Medium Energy weaponary as well as 2 Carrier Bay it can equip Bombers to deal extra damage. I mean why you use other shadowyard cruisers when Charybdis does better than any of them? So i basically call that ship Super Cruiser-Carrier instead of "Strike Carrier" because it doesnt act like "Strike Carriers" so it basically got wrong classification.

Edit: I think Charybdis should be way more expensive ship and much more rare to have it "balanced"
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 03:15:53 AM by Titann »

MrNage

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: October 03, 2022, 11:19:19 AM »

Say, how goes getting the Modular Fabricators to accept Autoforges, or even Nanoforges? I see that code for the Auto's sitting around since the latest release, and the graphics are already present, so I was wondering if there's any trouble trying to get them installed with what's currently present.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: October 03, 2022, 11:46:58 AM »

I think Charybdis should be way more expensive ship and much more rare to have it "balanced"
Weirdly, one of the worst ways to balance things in Starsector is to make them rare or expensive. If it's good enough, neither factor is going to matter very much, especially with how easy it is to make money. DP cost is a better balancing lever.

As far as flux cap goes - the 12000 the Charybdis has isn't that far over the 10800 it 'should' have for 540 base dissipation, especially not if we factor in Harmonic Shield Conduits.

Personally, if you asked me to rein in the Charybdis, here are some of the changes I'd suggest:
- Remove between 5 and 15 OP.
- Remove the small Missile slots (or convert them to small Synergy hardpoints), and turn the medium Energy turrets into Missiles (maybe Synergies on the Redwings version) with narrower arcs.
- Trim the shield arc down to 270 or so.

This would leave a ship that's still very scary, but depends much more on ammo-limited missiles and fighters to actually kill things.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 12:31:15 PM by Harmful Mechanic »

Falcon07

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: October 13, 2022, 10:15:47 PM »

Can I ask a stupid question?
I built this Modular Fabricator. Can't install the (Nano Forges) of any kind. so has that been removed?

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: October 15, 2022, 12:17:35 PM »

It has been removed, but I neglected to update the text. Sorry.

Killsode

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: October 16, 2022, 02:49:01 AM »

I hope these interesting times have been going well for you shadowy, i'm looking forward to seeing how shadowyards develops and eagerly await it being a mainstay in my modlist again. Love your mod, and your art.

Cas

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: October 21, 2022, 11:12:30 AM »

Hey MShadowy, first off I love your mod, definitely one of my favorite faction packs.

I made an account to ask about Tartarus' Siege Mode AI. I know from using search that it's been a bit of a problem child, so apologies for harping on it. From looking at the AI script, the only factor in activating it seems to be whether the shield extension would be beneficial at the time. This seems odd to me, as it's focusing on the least useful aspect of the system. It's a fairly slow line ship, an oft-referenced anvil, and as such should rarely be alone or in a position to be easily flanked; even then, it already has a large shield arc and good pd-coverage aft. The benefits of the mode seem to me to primarily be in the flux efficiencies and range boosts, and with that in mind it seems to me that the system should be active basically whenever non-pd weapons are active or it's taking more than chip-damage (taking more than 5% flux capacity in damage per second or something). Worrying about the speed loss shouldn't really factor into it much, it's not a ship that's designed to chase down or finish off enemies anyway, and would get toggled off when the weapons are no longer firing and it's safe to do so, anyway.

Unfortunately I don't know how to change this myself, because I'd love to figure out something that worked better.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 107