Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 107

Author Topic: [0.95a] Shadowyards Reconstruction Authority 0.9.5-rc4(4/12/21)  (Read 1115374 times)

grinningsphinx

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: (0.7.1a) Shadowyards Reconstruction Authority 0.6.0.3
« Reply #885 on: January 26, 2016, 02:27:50 PM »

Why would you use a wavepulse gun when you have 3 emplacements that can take Beams+Optics+ITU+Gunnery?    Anything projectile is going to lose massive range due to Optics not effecting it.
Because Wavepulse is a slightly inferior Mjolnir copy, and Mjolnir is the best all-around weapon in the game - long range, flux efficient, good DPS against everything, good accuracy, decent speed, and does not cost too much OP like Plasma Cannon.  Wavepulse has much of what makes Mjolnir great, and has bargain OP cost.

Beam only configuration, because it does not cause hard flux, is stopped cold by ships with strong shields.  When I solo simulator-sized fleets, my ship needs to take on anything and everything.  Yes, it is fun to take a Paragon with eight Phase Lances or equivalent and fry hapless cruisers and smaller with them, but enemy Paragon or other ship with good shields stop it cold.

I tried six Shadowyards' HE beams on Mimir.  It could not get pass the Aurora's shields.  If it cannot do that, it is no good.

Remember, when soloing the simulator, speed is key.  You have no time to waste wearing down targets slowly.

The mod or intent isnt for you to solo the simulator.  Use 3 tach lances, 3 super focused pulse beams or even 3 neutrinos, which do deal hard flux. The mediums I generally use are Phase Lances, for more up front strike...All my strike weapons are Energy based, not HE(no deva beams or suns).  The neutrino is kinetic.

grinningsphinx

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: January 26, 2016, 02:29:17 PM »

There doesnt need to be another Mjolnir clone...im perfectly fine with that.  There should be no swiss army knife of weapon mounts, except for templar weapons of course.

Taverius

• Captain
  • Mistake not ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: January 26, 2016, 02:31:15 PM »

It just needs the USE_VS_FRIGATES hint in addition, like all STRIKE weapons with a fast enough projectile.
That sounds like it would make Wavepulse shoot at frigates but not fighters.  That is not good enough.  Wavepulse needs to shoot at any enemy, because like Mjolnir, it is good against everything.
It will do really badly in the AI's hands if you take off STRIKE because its turn speed is about half that of a Mjolnir, so it will waste shots against fighters - and Wavepulse shots are not cheap.

Even USE_VS_FRIGATES is arguable.
No faction is truly established without a themed Buffalo (TAG) variant.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: January 26, 2016, 03:08:02 PM »

The mod or intent isnt for you to solo the simulator.  Use 3 tach lances, 3 super focused pulse beams or even 3 neutrinos, which do deal hard flux. The mediums I generally use are Phase Lances, for more up front strike...All my strike weapons are Energy based, not HE(no deva beams or suns).  The neutrino is kinetic.
Simulator is good training for worst-case scenario fights in the campaign.  Think eighty-something ships without officers is the worst you can fight?  Think again.  Player can fight fleets with over a hundred ships and dozens of high-level officers.  I have fought such a meat-grinder encounter before... and survived.

Tachyon Lance, post-EMP bug fix, is just a phase lance with a little more damage and range, not worth the 32 OP.  It does soft flux damage, unless it causing hard flux is one of the "balance" changes featured in SS+ or other mod.  (I do not play SS+.)

No standard weapon is named neutrino, and I did not notice any Shadowyard weapon named as such.  Same with pulsed beam, or do you mean autopulse laser?

If limited to standard only, large energy is slim pickings.  The only useful choices are Autopulse Laser and Plasma Cannon.  Autopulse is good, but pales to ballistic weapons or Wavepulse.  Plasma Cannon is slow and a flux and OP hog.  Standard medium energy weapons that hit for hard flux are all short-ranged chainsaws, and Heavy Blaster is the best there is.

It will do really badly in the AI's hands if you take off STRIKE because its turn speed is about half that of a Mjolnir, so it will waste shots against fighters - and Wavepulse shots are not cheap.

AI will do badly if it does not fire at all at whatever is shooting at it!  Anything is better than nothing (aside from insignificant burst PD).

I can tell from experience that having it autofire at frigates would be a big help.  I killed several high-tech frigates and fighter wings with mostly Wavepulse, but aiming manually was a chore.

grinningsphinx

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: January 26, 2016, 04:12:34 PM »

Simulator is good training for worst-case scenario fights in the campaign.  Think eighty-something ships without officers is the worst you can fight?  Think again.  Player can fight fleets with over a hundred ships and dozens of high-level officers.  I have fought such a meat-grinder encounter before... and survived.

Tachyon Lance, post-EMP bug fix, is just a phase lance with a little more damage and range, not worth the 32 OP.  It does soft flux damage, unless it causing hard flux is one of the "balance" changes featured in SS+ or other mod.  (I do not play SS+.)

No standard weapon is named neutrino, and I did not notice any Shadowyard weapon named as such.  Same with pulsed beam, or do you mean autopulse laser?

If limited to standard only, large energy is slim pickings.  The only useful choices are Autopulse Laser and Plasma Cannon.  Autopulse is good, but pales to ballistic weapons or Wavepulse.  Plasma Cannon is slow and a flux and OP hog.  Standard medium energy weapons that hit for hard flux are all short-ranged chainsaws, and Heavy Blaster is the best there is.

AI will do badly if it does not fire at all at whatever is shooting at it!  Anything is better than nothing (aside from insignificant burst PD).

I can tell from experience that having it autofire at frigates would be a big help.  I killed several high-tech frigates and fighter wings with mostly Wavepulse, but aiming manually was a chore.

lol!! not to bang on you bro, but unless you play SS+ you dont know what hard really is!! SS+ is lots and lots harder then the base game.  Even the vanilla factions are very strong, lots of ships come in modded or Elite variants and theres tons of officers and fighters that will wreck your day....And no corner hack, thats been fixed.   Were talking about different games, heh.   X3 Wave pulse is okay on the Mimir, but i dont think its Ideal....and those 3x Tachyon beams HURT from a long, long ways away. (Gunnery, ITU, Battleship bonus range, Advanced Optics). The only thing that hurts worse is a full on burst from a Joyuese Fractal Laser, and for that you need luck. SFP Beam is just about the same but doesnt cause the EMP hit, instead it deal HE damage to armor/hull.

grinningsphinx

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: January 26, 2016, 04:18:12 PM »

Neutrino Beam is from SCY I believe and is cheaper alternative in OP cost.  Its a strike weapon dealing kinetic damage, fire rate a hair faster then Phase Lances..deals around 1200 damage per lance.

My objective is to group the strike weapons all on one target, fire, line up Nidhoggr Lance fire that, and finish them off.

grinningsphinx

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: January 26, 2016, 04:18:43 PM »

Neutrino Beam is from SCY I believe and is cheaper alternative in OP cost.  Its a strike weapon dealing kinetic damage, fire rate a hair faster then Phase Lances..deals around 1200 damage per lance. at 1k base range.

My objective is to group the strike weapons all on one target, fire, line up Nidhoggr Lance fire that, and finish them off.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: January 26, 2016, 05:22:01 PM »

Neutrino Beam is from SCY I believe and is cheaper alternative in OP cost.  Its a strike weapon dealing kinetic damage, fire rate a hair faster then Phase Lances..deals around 1200 damage per lance.

The Neutrino beam is from Pegasus Belt Council.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: January 26, 2016, 07:41:36 PM »

@ grinningsphinx:  Just did a quick test of SS+ (for the first time in over a year, in devmode), and although the enemy is either a bit smarter or less cowardly, and some of the skills weakened, the SS+ simulator is not much harder than standard, if sticking with the original lineup.  Enemies are still vulnerable to corner cheese.  Capitals with sufficient range can hide there and murder ships in SS+ almost as easily as in vanilla.  (Almost due to weakened skills.)  I bet much of the extra challenge in SS+ comes from the campaign where things are... different, or so it seems.

I agree that SS+ is a different game, or at least has different rules, which is a reason why I have little interest in it, for now.

Yes, Tachyon Lances hurt if they hit armor or hull.  They are still no match for a sufficiently powerful shield, and their DPS is not so great.

When I test a faction mod, I test that mod only, except I might add Nexerelin if only to have more markets to buy ships and weapons from.  I test mods compared to vanilla, without interference from additional factions.  I bet most factions would receive a huge power boost if I include Templars or Neutrino.  (Templars to me is less of a boss faction mod and more of a booster pack to make my ships even more overpowered once their loot becomes mine.)

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: January 26, 2016, 08:05:23 PM »

While I would prefer not further derail this thread...

Megas, I highly recommend trying a campaign with SS+.

JohnDoe

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: January 26, 2016, 10:50:49 PM »

While I also would prefer not further derail this thread...

SS+ uses randomized variants. You won't encounter those in the simulator.

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: January 26, 2016, 11:00:40 PM »

While I also would prefer not further derail this thread...

For supported factions anyway.

grinningsphinx

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: January 27, 2016, 01:36:23 AM »

The Neutrino beam is from Pegasus Belt Council.

Thank you Tart..so many weapons that i cant recall which fleet brings them:)

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: January 27, 2016, 01:45:07 AM »

Thank you Tart..so many weapons that i cant recall which fleet brings them:)
Well, that's pretty much the point of modding your game ^^

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: January 27, 2016, 05:49:50 AM »

Not interested.  Randomized can be too unstable when aiming for standards, such as finding out which ships and configurations can survive the torture I put them through.

I do not want to play a campaign in SS+, yet.  I cannot run most mods without turning off sound and lowering screen resolution.  This is one reason I have not played the latest Shadowyards beyond simulator tests with Mimir.  Another reason for not playing Shadowyards is clashing art styles.  I also dislike some of the game changes in SS+.  I also do not have weeks now to invest in a SS+ campaign, especially with 0.7.2 on the horizon.

My interest is primarily a modless, standard game.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 107