Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 107

Author Topic: [0.95a] Shadowyards Reconstruction Authority 0.9.5-rc4(4/12/21)  (Read 1115426 times)

ProdigyToby

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: (0.7.1a) Shadowyards Reconstruction Authority 0.6.0.3
« Reply #870 on: January 13, 2016, 07:38:12 AM »

I think the CEPC class of weapons are fairly balanced, with the only change I would suggest is increasing the projectile speed very slightly of the smaller CEPC so it can more consistently put out dps to smaller classes of ships like frigates or corvettes.  Right now its really hard to use the smaller CEPC for its cost when you could use a more consistently reliable weapon.

Also I would suggest making another change to that weapon.  Theres a typo in its description  :P "The CECP, or Carried Energy Pulse Cannon.."

Make more beautiful ships! (maybe a new super capital of some sort?  ;D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 07:49:02 AM by ProdigyToby »

Ceebees

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: January 14, 2016, 12:56:03 AM »

Alright, maaaaybe i went a little mad with power when i realized how accessible it was to tinker with guns. And excessively verbose (consider not posting at 3am, kids!) But, i still disagree with the above arguments in favor of the current mCEPC.

A Pulse Laser with an ITU deals damage at equal or better range due to hitting past 'maximum' range, and on frigates/destroyers/cruisers the OP savings from downgrading mCEPCs to PLs will buy you that ITU - a high OP cost is also an opportunity cost in vents/caps/hullmods/other guns. So basically, my complaint is that it costs a lot of OP and the damage drops by half when it runs dry on ammo, and i think that either one of those penalties would more than make up for the things it's better at than vanilla weapons.

But maybe we just agree to disagree! :D

Taverius

• Captain
  • Mistake not ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: January 24, 2016, 04:35:46 PM »

Ok, so I only just noticed somehow, but the campaign-level tooltip for Cinderbox is a mite screwed up.

Spoiler
[close]
No faction is truly established without a themed Buffalo (TAG) variant.

BuckCake

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: January 25, 2016, 06:36:18 AM »

Inspired by a similar post in DA, here's a rundown of SRA weapons I've used so far:

light cepc
horrible as pd, good as a short-range weapon, especially in batteries or on pursuit craft. the light cepc could possibly benefit from turning it into a shotgun-type weapon, or simply increasing projectile speed and accuracy.

cepc/medium cepc
similar performance or slightly worse than vanilla weapons. becomes better than vanilla with expanded magazines. good versus armor.

scatter cepc
probably the best one of the lot. negligible flux cost, great damage, great versus all targets. deceptively good versus armor and exposed hull. could probably use a nerf.

chaingang cepc
lackluster compared to scatter cepc. while not useful as a means of pd, the rate of fire makes it somewhat useful on destroyers or pursuit craft, usually in corvus mode where you can't always get a scatter cepc.

tusk torpedo
good against all targets. their tracking and shotgun effect make them almost an auto-include on ships that can fit them. more useful for finishing off overloaded or venting ships than for causing overloads.
Spoiler
"Noooo. I've venting! Oh, what a world, what a world!"
[close]

urumi
passable if you can afford the op. early game, or on tight fits, it's better to stick with a cheaper method of pd.

trishula
while good for prolonged standoffs, as sra you should be avoiding those in the first place. somewhat flux inefficient.

shrike asm
will often miss a fast narrow target, somewhat useful if hunting destroyers with frigates. low op cost but inferior to tusks.

splinter
less useful than tusks, low op cost seems to be it's only redeeming quality.

blackcap
since playing against fighters groups is almost always an auto-win, i had no need for these. also, tusks.

That about covers it. Still haven't used most of the large sra ships and weapons, mainly because I find large fleet battles tedious. Besides the scatter cepc being overpowered (try putting two on a tempest), I haven't found any obvious imbalances. SRA does have a distinct playstyle different from vanilla, but as long as you stick to it the weapons are in no way underpowered.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: January 25, 2016, 07:27:15 AM »

Just had my first somewhat serious playtest of Shadowyards.  Somewhat because I only tried the Mimir to see how well it competes with standard and Blackrock capitals in my simulator smasher experiment.

Mimir
Capacitors:  0
Vents:  61
Weapons:  2x Barrago LRM, 3x Medium CPEC, 3x Wavepulse Cannon, 7x Burst PD Laser
Hullmods:  Augmented Engines, Hardened Subsystems, Integrated Targeting Unit, Resistant Flux Conduits

Standard burst PD Lasers were cheaper than the SHI knockoff.  Thanks the SHI's superior energy weapons, the Mimir smashed the simulator, though not without slight hull damage and a little time past peak performance.  It is comparable to the Conquest, but much more mobile, and easier to avoid damage.  Mimir feels similar to Blackrock's Kurmaraja minus the dual flak (and different ship systems).

Standout weapons
Wavepulse Cannon:  This is Mjolnir on a budget!  May not be quite as destructive (less damage, no EMP) or flux efficient as Mjolnir, but it has long range (comparable to ballistics) and fires quickly, and it is only 20 OP (16 with Op. Assembly)!  Compared to standard energy weapons, this is overpowered, but energy needs something like this to compete with ballistics.  One quirk I noticed that seems like a bug is that Wavepulse refuses to autofire at frigates or fighters.  In my simulator run, I had to take manual control of my Wavepulse and fire at small ships myself; that hurts!

Medium CPEC:  Totally agreed with Wyvern.  800 range that hits for hard flux and decent DPS is a big, BIG deal!

Barrago LRM:  The Pilum alternative, and it seems faster, more reliable, and easier-to-use.  It will not lock down phase ships, but I prefer quick direct-damage when soloing dozens of ships.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 07:31:41 AM by Megas »

BuckCake

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: January 25, 2016, 10:14:36 AM »

After fitting my ships like Megas knockoffs I've definitely changed my mind about the mcepc.

grinningsphinx

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: January 25, 2016, 04:42:22 PM »

The Mimir is an absolute BEAST at swatting frigates and destroyers out of the sky. I run mine with one of three loadouts,  3 Super Focused Pulse Beams, 3 Grazers, or 3 Tachyons with ITU and Advanced Optics + Gunnery 10.  I think even 3 Nuetrino Beams would be good on this ship. Everything else is energy PD of your choice, i used micro argus or hacking commlinks. You can kill most outlying flyers instantly and quite safely, and its still fast enough to capture objective points and pretty much hold them forever.

Marcus Garvey

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: January 25, 2016, 06:37:48 PM »

The Wavepulse Cannon has the STRIKE tag in the weapons files, which I think is what makes it not get used against fighters/frigates despite it having a pretty high velocity and high enough rate of fire that it really shouldn't be?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: January 25, 2016, 06:46:37 PM »

The Mimir is an absolute BEAST at swatting frigates and destroyers out of the sky.
Not against frigates (or fighters) for a Mimir that relies on Wavepulse cannons for its primary source of damage because Wavepulse does not respond to frigates and fighters.  Why Wavepulse does not autofire at small ships is beyond me.

I have considered using Wavepulse for damage only, and everything else (small and medium) for PD.  Turns out CPEC adds enough damage to be worth using.

The Wavepulse Cannon has the STRIKE tag in the weapons files, which I think is what makes it not get used against fighters/frigates despite it having a pretty high velocity and high enough rate of fire that it really shouldn't be?
If so, it should not.  Wavepulse feels like Mjolnir for an energy mount.  It shoots fast enough, and it is good against everything.  When I run the simulator, trying to shoot multiple Wolves and Tempests, or fending off fighter swarms were a pain because I had to use Wavepulse manually on them.  CPECs and Burst PD lasers are not enough to kill multiple targets quickly.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: January 25, 2016, 07:06:34 PM »

I forget to mention my first impressions of Shadowyards.

I remember first trying Shadowyards as part of Uomoz's Corvus, before the Mimir was in.  Only when I wanted to grind the simulator with the Mimir a day or two ago that I took more interest, if only see it in action.

Shadowyards' bright and animesque style clashes with vanilla artwork, and that alone is incentive enough for me to pass this when I feel like adding factions to the game.  In other words, an eyesore.  That said, for those who are not bothered by the art style, the quality is good and consistent.  Like Blackrock, Shadowyards is one of the classics that have been around longer than many and still maintained to this day.  Some of the energy weapons are longer ranged than standard, and are effective enough to be potential game changers.

grinningsphinx

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: January 25, 2016, 07:48:50 PM »

The Mimir is an absolute BEAST at swatting frigates and destroyers out of the sky.
Not against frigates (or fighters) for a Mimir that relies on Wavepulse cannons for its primary source of damage because Wavepulse does not respond to frigates and fighters.  Why Wavepulse does not autofire at small ships is beyond me.

I have considered using Wavepulse for damage only, and everything else (small and medium) for PD.  Turns out CPEC adds enough damage to be worth using.

If so, it should not.  Wavepulse feels like Mjolnir for an energy mount.  It shoots fast enough, and it is good against everything.  When I run the simulator, trying to shoot multiple Wolves and Tempests, or fending off fighter swarms were a pain because I had to use Wavepulse manually on them.  CPECs and Burst PD lasers are not enough to kill multiple targets quickly.

Why would you use a wavepulse gun when you have 3 emplacements that can take Beams+Optics+ITU+Gunnery?    Anything projectile is going to lose massive range due to Optics not effecting it.

He is right though...the code for wavepulse is bugged..does not target frigates or fighters ever under any of the AI types.

Okay, it seems to be inconsistent, i equipped a wavepulse (close support) with 3 sunbeams(strike) and the AI does seem to fire the occassionally(  I was using a Chronos to test, not the Mimir.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 08:06:07 PM by grinningsphinx »

Taverius

• Captain
  • Mistake not ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: January 26, 2016, 04:05:05 AM »

Why would you use a wavepulse gun when you have 3 emplacements that can take Beams+Optics+ITU+Gunnery?    Anything projectile is going to lose massive range due to Optics not effecting it.
Because sunbeams are explosive and its like hitting shields with cabbages?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: January 26, 2016, 05:36:15 AM »

Why would you use a wavepulse gun when you have 3 emplacements that can take Beams+Optics+ITU+Gunnery?    Anything projectile is going to lose massive range due to Optics not effecting it.
Because Wavepulse is a slightly inferior Mjolnir copy, and Mjolnir is the best all-around weapon in the game - long range, flux efficient, good DPS against everything, good accuracy, decent speed, and does not cost too much OP like Plasma Cannon.  Wavepulse has much of what makes Mjolnir great, and has bargain OP cost.

Beam only configuration, because it does not cause hard flux, is stopped cold by ships with strong shields.  When I solo simulator-sized fleets, my ship needs to take on anything and everything.  Yes, it is fun to take a Paragon with eight Phase Lances or equivalent and fry hapless cruisers and smaller with them, but enemy Paragon or other ship with good shields stop it cold.

I tried six Shadowyards' HE beams on Mimir.  It could not get pass the Aurora's shields.  If it cannot do that, it is no good.

Remember, when soloing the simulator, speed is key.  You have no time to waste wearing down targets slowly.

Taverius

• Captain
  • Mistake not ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: January 26, 2016, 12:04:23 PM »

If so, it should not.  Wavepulse feels like Mjolnir for an energy mount.  It shoots fast enough, and it is good against everything.  When I run the simulator, trying to shoot multiple Wolves and Tempests, or fending off fighter swarms were a pain because I had to use Wavepulse manually on them.  CPECs and Burst PD lasers are not enough to kill multiple targets quickly.
It just needs the USE_VS_FRIGATES hint in addition, like all STRIKE weapons with a fast enough projectile.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: January 26, 2016, 01:33:24 PM »

It just needs the USE_VS_FRIGATES hint in addition, like all STRIKE weapons with a fast enough projectile.
That sounds like it would make Wavepulse shoot at frigates but not fighters.  That is not good enough.  Wavepulse needs to shoot at any enemy, because like Mjolnir, it is good against everything.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 107