Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi - Linux box for 25 bucks  (Read 6262 times)

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Raspberry Pi - Linux box for 25 bucks
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2012, 09:47:57 AM »

Sounds like you are having fun already!  :)

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2012, 05:24:39 AM »

So I got my Pi a couple of weeks ago, and although I've had plenty to do in the real world, got to fiddling about with it a bit.

First thing was that I realised I bought just about all the wrong cables from the supplier when I ordered the thing, which was a little baffling - but not altogether insurmountable. After finding a short phono-phono lead to plug it in to my front room telly, and using a disused blackberry charger for a makeshift 5V-700mA supply (which seems to work fine - anything over 700mA should be good apparently), and imaging the latest Raspbian OS on to a new SD card, I plugged it all together.

So the thing actually works.

But it wasn't connected to the internet, so I needed to bridge the wifi from my laptop to the ethernet and on to the Pi, got online, and marvelled as I went on to look at all the esoteric Linux nonsense that I was expected to do to get my wifi adapter up and running.

I edited a document with Vi and now I feel capable of anything.

And sure enough, it all seemed to work.

Right about now the Pi is sat on the top of my TV, plugged in and running, and connected to my local wifi network. I am having a little hiccup though, because it doesn't seem to want to work 'outwards' although I am definitely connected, as I can ssh in to the Pi from a computer sitting on the same wifi network.

But this is fun, despite years of Windows blunting me to the joy and intricacies of typing commands out.

First step will be getting a working Raspbmc or OpenElec media thingy up and running via the wifi, but I am sorely tempted to figure out how I can use the GPIO pins, Python and a battery pack to do some rudimentary robotics.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 01:29:06 PM »

Yes, I also quite recently got my Pi to work (about 2 days ago) though I've had no internet for two days aaand I've been playing GMOD a bit too much, as well as Fable TLC, Fable 2 and Fable 3.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 08:13:37 AM »

Oh yeah, a tip for keeping it safe, use the box. You can pull down some of the sides to let the cables through. Keeps it still too.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2012, 08:26:15 AM »

Good tip, I'll try that.

I don't know if I can resist getting one of these though, for a better looking solution:

http://www.pibow.com/

Pages: 1 [2]