Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Will fighters use frag and cluster bombs?  (Read 2461 times)

Squigzilla

• Commander
  • SQUIG Industries
    • View Profile
Will fighters use frag and cluster bombs?
« on: July 17, 2012, 04:35:36 PM »

I've had an awful lot of fun cruising around in a Lasher with augmented engines, extended magazines and five cluster bomb launchers in the past -- those tiny orange warheads look so cute until they rip a Dominator in half with a series of explosions.

The Piranhas use standard bomb bays as their primary armament already, but frag and cluster bombs don't show up in any of the standard ship or fighter layouts.  This is quite odd, seeing as all types of bombs are easily found in the orbital station shops.  Alex, are there any plans to implement these two bomb types in future craft?  It's understandable if the details are still being determined, but I am curious about the eventual uses of these unique weapon systems.
High Admiral Davian MacNaile of the SQUIG Industries Human Resources Motivational Flotilla

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
Re: Will fighters use frag and cluster bombs?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 04:45:23 PM »

I've had an awful lot of fun cruising around in a Lasher with augmented engines, extended magazines and five cluster bomb launchers in the past -- those tiny orange warheads look so cute until they rip a Dominator in half with a series of explosions.

The Piranhas use standard bomb bays as their primary armament already, but frag and cluster bombs don't show up in any of the standard ship or fighter layouts.  This is quite odd, seeing as all types of bombs are easily found in the orbital station shops.  Alex, are there any plans to implement these two bomb types in future craft?  It's understandable if the details are still being determined, but I am curious about the eventual uses of these unique weapon systems.
That would be rather fun, To see a wing of bomber craft armed with cluster bomb warheads just fly up to an onslaught, I imagine it would go something like this:

"Oh look, some puny bomber wing, Pfft, take it on the armor"
10 seconds later
"HOLY FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU"
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 07:16:11 PM »

Maybe. Those two weapons aren't exactly balanced, and I don't consider them "done". They probably shouldn't be for sale at the stations. Ultimately, they could either 1) become balanced and then be used in a more widespread way or 2) go away altogether.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 05:39:35 AM »

I love the Frags in the early stage of the game. When i have 1-3 frigates only, they work wonders if the enemy fields Fighters.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 05:40:39 AM »

Maybe. Those two weapons aren't exactly balanced, and I don't consider them "done". They probably shouldn't be for sale at the stations. Ultimately, they could either 1) become balanced and then be used in a more widespread way or 2) go away altogether.
Balance them then, more weapons is good weapons
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

neonesis

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 05:01:19 PM »

Balance them then, more weapons is good weapons
The more weapons you have, the harder it is to balance them without making them all the same.