Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: In the full version, how will prolonged gameplay work?  (Read 6033 times)

TrexTitan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
In the full version, how will prolonged gameplay work?
« on: July 15, 2012, 06:22:57 AM »

idk if it's been asked but, Atm, having a fleet with caps and cruisers take a hour or two... so in the full version, with multiple systems and dozens of hours of gameplay, how will you prevent players from gaining a full fleet after a tenth of the game has passed?

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
Re: In the full version, how will prolonged gameplay work?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 06:40:07 AM »

From what I know, when the game gets to a stage that could be considered near completion, I would assume that when you start the game you would have a very limited number of ships that you can own at any one time. In order to increase your fleet cap, you would need better officers and the player would also need to "level up".

I can say with a reasonable amount of certainty, If you want more, you're going to have to do more.

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

AlBeGaDe

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 12:34:10 PM »

It's going to be a 4X (or maybe 3X or something). Basically, it will be liken any lengthy space game, such as the X Series. And who says there won't be much better ships that will own your fleet. There will be more ships. You might have a full fleet, but other systems may have much more or something along those lines.

TrexTitan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 05:42:11 PM »

Well, ether you really drag on with small increments, or you have a wider selection of ships within each class. Mean, sure officers could up your max fleet points, but there is nothing stopping you from farming/trading and buying a capital very early atm. In the X series, buying your first capital is way way out of your reach. Will there be harder to acquire flagship etc class ships? something to aim for past the first few hours? Something that can mount weapons a class higher than large, and being very expensive/hard to attain?
Just fear that if the game will have multiple systems, attaining the desired, or close to-ships early on, kinda removes intensive for further play. Unless there is a in depth upgrade and or research system that allows you to keep working towards a stronger fleet.
Or maybe full out war with factions?

heskey30

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 07:09:42 PM »

Well I think a lot of things will be rarer - you won't be able to buy a paragon in the first hour of the game because it will be harder to find one that is for sale. And all the ones that you could capture are in big fleets that you would have to level up a ton to take on without some sort of miracle. Maybe you could get an atlas fairly easily, but probably no other capitals... I think getting the best ships will take a lot of sucking up to a certain faction, or maybe a lot of marines...

Or maybe things will just get more expensive when the game gets bigger.

Don't worry, there are plenty of ways to make gameplay longer once we get to the bigger universe. The only reason things are so easy to get right now is, longer games with less content are boring.

neonesis

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 10:16:40 AM »

Well I think a lot of things will be rarer - you won't be able to buy a paragon in the first hour of the game because it will be harder to find one that is for sale. And all the ones that you could capture are in big fleets that you would have to level up a ton to take on without some sort of miracle. Maybe you could get an atlas fairly easily, but probably no other capitals... I think getting the best ships will take a lot of sucking up to a certain faction, or maybe a lot of marines...

Or maybe things will just get more expensive when the game gets bigger.

Don't worry, there are plenty of ways to make gameplay longer once we get to the bigger universe. The only reason things are so easy to get right now is, longer games with less content are boring.

I seriously doubt that ships such as Paragon-class will be AT ALL available for sale. The only way to get them will be through capturing them.

leonvision

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 10:33:01 AM »

I seriously doubt that ships such as Paragon-class will be AT ALL available for sale. The only way to get them will be through capturing them.

or by getting schematics and building it, though that will probably cost a fortune, and not just kinda fortune you can farm from stray pirates. but nonetheless, we wont be able to get paragons(or the like) in first few hours/early game.
twitter: lagdotexe - mainly about gaming

neonesis

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 10:37:09 AM »

or by getting schematics and building it, though that will probably cost a fortune, and not just kinda fortune you can farm from stray pirates. but nonetheless, we wont be able to get paragons(or the like) in first few hours/early game.

Exactly. It's the current campaign that makes people think Starfarer will be quick and dull - because heck, you can buy yourself a paragon by farming low-level pirate fleets under two hours (or even one).

Kaitol

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 12:06:29 PM »

Well I imagine if you get REALLY friendly with Tri-Tachyon they might offer to sell you a paragon. Or give you command of one for doing something really really big for them. I doubt battle will be the only way to get high tier ships.

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 04:14:35 PM »

I doubt battle will be the only way to get high tier ships.

Good point. Consider the Tri-Tachyon, for example. You know how tech-mining is a religion to that faction. I bet they'd handsomely reward anyone who brings them a lost schematic for almost any previously-unknown type of spaceship.
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 07:11:46 AM »

Good point. Consider the Tri-Tachyon, for example. You know how tech-mining is a religion to that faction. I bet they'd handsomely reward anyone who brings them a lost schematic for almost any previously-unknown type of spaceship.
Actually I would happily think if it was simply a UAC or something they'd go guns blazing for it rather than trade precious tech
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 07:32:29 AM »

it would be cool if certain ships were unavailable until one of the factions (or you) found the blueprints for them

heskey30

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 08:19:01 AM »

Actually I would happily think if it was simply a UAC or something they'd go guns blazing for it rather than trade precious tech
Why would they do that if you are a valuable ally? Or even... one of them?  :o
Maybe if you got one and you kept it for yourself they would, but they wouldn't be a corporation if they couldn't co-operate, would they?

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 04:01:37 PM »

Honestly I think the progression will be slowed by a number of the factors you guys posted in this thread.  I'll list some of the likely ones:

1. A few (probably not that many -- if any, I'd say the Phase Ships) ship designs are just undiscovered as of the beginning of the campaign
2. Few places will offer ships for sale, and those that do will only offer weaker/cheaper ships
3. Larger ships and more powerful guns will end up being more expensive, especially in upkeep
4. Capture chance of large ships will be lower, crew will be more effective at fighting off marines
5. Large, advanced ships will be hard to find (and will be too dangerous to take on if you do find them, b/c of large support fleets)
6. Player must level up in order to support fleets that have huge capships
7. Skilled officers needed to pilot each capital ship
8. Factions will grant access to capships after long quest lines
9. Quicksaving will be gone, can only save on a station or planet, or when you jump to a new system

I imagine the progression being sort of like Escape Velocity or Mount & Blade...