Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Auto-resolve during battles  (Read 2073 times)

Nooblies

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Auto-resolve during battles
« on: July 11, 2012, 10:38:18 AM »

While auto-resolve usually works to an acceptable degree, at times (especially when fighting larger fleets then your own), it can sometimes turn what is an easy win into a fairly horrible loss.

For instance, while playing with a small group of frigates after starting a new game, I decided to attack a fleet fielding a buffalo mk 2, two lashers, a hound and a bomber/fighter wing. After destroying all of their ships bar one lasher and a (then retreating) talon wing (the lasher of which was hiding somewhere on the fairly large map) and while still fielding a lasher, two hounds and a talon wing, I decided that it would be faster to just exit the battle and let auto-resolve deal with the rest.

Much to my surprise, when it went to the post battle screen, the auto-resolve had decided that their remaining lasher and crippled talon wing had managed to go rambo on my fleet, as the lasher and talon wing had taken no further damage and managed to destroy my talon wing and one of my lashers, take my hound down to 4% health and force my other lasher to sabotage itself.

This seems to happen somewhat often when fighting fleets that are originally more powerful than your own, as I can recall a few times when auto-resolving while chasing the odd retreating Tempest or wasp wing (after decimating the Tri-Tachyon Attack fleets) a similar situation occurring, where the auto-resolve decided that the remaining frigates/fighters managed to defeat my fairly healthy fleet by themselves.

As such, I'm wondering if the game continues to count retreated ships into the overall fleet strength used in the auto-resolve calculations, or (more possibly) removes ships from your fleet combat strength if you've taken enough crew losses to ordinarily be unable to commit them to combat, even though they are still in the battle and you still consider them combat assets.

While the way auto-resolve calculates fleet strength may make it downright difficult to change (as I suspect it is already a fairly complicated calculation), and while a fairly minor gripe that can be mostly ignored or passed off as a quirk of a few specific situations, I was just wondering if there would be a way to make the ships currently deployed in combat exempt from crew checks (assuming such a thing exists) to make the auto-resolve more reliable for ending what should be easy wins.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Auto-resolve during battles
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 11:16:53 AM »

To be fair, i sometimes found the exact opposite true with auto-resolve as a whole.

Especially endgame, throwing a single Oddysey in battle usually ment 80% of the enemy forces have time to retreat, myself barely managing to get hits on 2-3 targets. If i auto-resolved, i sometimes got more than 50-75% of the enemies down. Auto resolve seems to take into account more base numbers than actual 'skill'/avoidence and time.

Also, some battles i just could not win no-how, no thanks to my poor choice of save-game timing, but in autoresolve i had a 50-50 chance, one time even coming with a good clean win.

But yes, auto-resolving a battle while retreating is BAD. I actually wait for the specific ships to really reach the edge and show the 'retreated' message before auto-resolving everything else, so the AI can't recall them.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 11:19:51 AM by Cosmitz »

Nooblies

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 11:55:56 PM »

Yeah it's weird, when fighting roughly even sized fleets auto-resolve usually does even better than you usually would, so for example if you see that the enemy is retreating a lasher that you have no hope of catching, you can exit the battle and the auto-resolve will usually manage to destroy the target anyway.

I suspect my issue, and the change I'm suggesting is more to do with crew losses for your ships during the battle, and how it gets taken into account for the auto-resolve. This is where it may well be considering the lack of crew enough to remove your ships from the battle, even though that is counter to what you can currently see (where they are currently deployed). Such a disparity between what you consider and what the auto-resolve considers to be your fleet strength is the main issue I have with auto-resolve at the moment, as aside from this situation the auto-resolve usually performs up to par with my expectations of how the battle will go.

leonvision

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 03:51:50 AM »

also, when their fleet is retreating and there's no way my ships can catch up to them to disable them, if i use auto resolve, they usually gets disabled, it doesnt seem to take into account the positions ships are at when auto resolve is used.
twitter: lagdotexe - mainly about gaming