Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Pre-Ordered game and had a fatal error running game  (Read 4932 times)

shadowfire

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Pre-Ordered game and had a fatal error running game
« on: May 06, 2011, 02:14:46 PM »

Just Pre-Ordered the game.. was exicited to try it out and got the following error when loading game from ./starfarer.sh.

#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0xb7855416, pid=2598, tid=2661202800
#
# JRE version: 6.0_25-b06
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (20.0-b11 mixed mode linux-x86 )
# Problematic frame:
# C  [+0x416]  __kernel_vsyscall+0x2
[thread -1639249040 also had an error]#

# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /home/jeff/Desktop/starfarer/hs_err_pid2598.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
#   http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
#
./starfarer.sh: line 1:  2598 Aborted                 ./jre_linux/bin/java -server -XX:CompilerThreadPriority=1 -XX:+CompilerThreadHintNoPreempt -Djava.library.path=./native/linux -Xms256m -Xmx256m -classpath janino.jar:commons-compiler.jar:commons-compiler-jdk.jar:starfarer.res.jar:starfarer.api.jar:starfarer_obf.jar:jogg-0.0.7.jar:jorbis-0.0.15.jar:json.jar:lwjgl.jar:lwjgl_util_applet.jar:jinput.jar:lwjgl_test.jar:log4j-1.2.9.jar:lwjgl_util.jar:fs.sound_obf.jar:fs.common_obf.jar com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher

Any ideas on how to get this running?

Thanks,
SF

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
Re: Pre-Ordered game and had a fatal error running game
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 02:19:35 PM »

I believe you may want to check this thread: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=21.0
(not sure, just guessing here)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 02:35:25 PM »

Yeah, that's definitely worth a look.

The contents of /home/jeff/Desktop/starfarer/hs_err_pid2598.log and /home/jeff/Desktop/starfarer/starfarer.log might be handy, too, especially if the problem isn't similar to the one in the linked thread.

shadowfire

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 02:57:20 PM »

I looked at it and to be honest it didn't really get me a solution.  Did a search to see if anyone outside of this game is having the issue and I found the following -

http://www.comsol.fi/community/forums/general/thread/5026/

Where they replied with the following:

-------------------------------------------

February 11, 2011 2:18am UTC in response to Alexandre Paternoster
Re: openGL error (sigserv) (solution)

The solution was to use the "-3drend sw" argument on launching comsol

Alexandre.

I was getting the "A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment" and the above worked for me!

Thanks

-----------------------------------------

Maybe that will help?

No offense - but can someone let me know a step by step for a fix on this - the last thing I want to do is program the game I purchased.  I purchased it because I felt it would be in a condition that I could use it.  I will be glad to make minor changes to get it working, but having to figure it out for myself is not what I was paying for...

Thanks,
SF

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 03:39:07 PM »

Thanks for digging that up, but while the problem is similar, the solution is not applicable.

No offense - but can someone let me know a step by step for a fix on this - the last thing I want to do is program the game I purchased.  I purchased it because I felt it would be in a condition that I could use it.  I will be glad to make minor changes to get it working, but having to figure it out for myself is not what I was paying for...

That's entirely reasonable, but unfortunately I don't have a good answer for you. The problem just came up a few days ago, and I don't have hardware to reproduce it on. I'll certainly try to get around it - I believe it's a driver bug, and the key is figuring out what triggers it - but that's no good to you at the moment, of course.

I hope you'll accept my sincere apologies for your trouble. If you'd like a refund, please contact BMT Micro.

In the meantime, I'll see if I can get a demo version set up to avoid this type of situation in the future.

Edit: It seems that the open-source RadeonDriver might get around this issue.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 03:50:31 PM by Alex »