Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 39

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.5a Preview (Released) - Live Patch Notes  (Read 301770 times)

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.5a Preview (Released) - Live Patch Notes
« Reply #480 on: February 15, 2012, 11:54:24 AM »

You take a hit for fleet size. So it's not just the raw least speed. They are changing this, though.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #481 on: February 15, 2012, 12:25:47 PM »

Fleet speed is being changed to fleet moves as fast as the slowest ship; its nolonger about size.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: February 15, 2012, 12:33:01 PM »

It'll be the lower of two values - slowest ship's speed, OR average speed reduced by size penalty.

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: February 15, 2012, 01:04:10 PM »

It'll be the lower of two values - slowest ship's speed, OR average speed reduced by size penalty.

This sounds like a good compromise from my "obviously haven't been able to test it" perspective.

orion

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: February 15, 2012, 01:44:47 PM »

Speaking of fleet sizes I was thinking about something while at work (way more interesting than actually working) and I became curious about how things will scale up to the full size game. Its a nebulous though for sure, and I know will become more clear as the game develops, but as a specific example I thought it would be really awkward (and expensive with fuel) to take a fleet like the ones we build in the game so far and go exploring. It would seem awkward to be a massive fleet of 20 ships randomly jumping to different systems in search of new worlds and new civi... wait, wrong universe, but you get the idea.

I guess the question is: how will the game handle issues like this? Will we have a place, a base if you will, to store ships and supplies that we'll come back to to pick what we want? If so, what will those ships do when at base? Or will be we able to call for ships and supplies to come to us? I'm guessing it will have something to do with the grayed out "outposts" tab in the game right now, but was wondering if someone would be able to clear it up. Will be be able to order around AI fleets loyal to us and have them fly around/between systems like the factions to now?

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #485 on: February 15, 2012, 02:09:23 PM »

I believe something of that sort will make it in

theShadow

• Lieutenant
  • Power Overwhelming
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: February 15, 2012, 02:39:42 PM »

read my previous post, thats exactley the sort of thing I was talking about. (a solution for that, though mine is a bit different)
Quote from: Archon
Why has a developer ever needed any reason other than "it looks bloody awesome"?

I do 3D modeling and map creation for an open source fps called xonotic

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: February 15, 2012, 05:18:21 PM »

Speaking of fleet sizes I was thinking about something while at work (way more interesting than actually working) and I became curious about how things will scale up to the full size game. Its a nebulous though for sure, and I know will become more clear as the game develops, but as a specific example I thought it would be really awkward (and expensive with fuel) to take a fleet like the ones we build in the game so far and go exploring. It would seem awkward to be a massive fleet of 20 ships randomly jumping to different systems in search of new worlds and new civi... wait, wrong universe, but you get the idea.

I guess the question is: how will the game handle issues like this? Will we have a place, a base if you will, to store ships and supplies that we'll come back to to pick what we want? If so, what will those ships do when at base? Or will be we able to call for ships and supplies to come to us? I'm guessing it will have something to do with the grayed out "outposts" tab in the game right now, but was wondering if someone would be able to clear it up. Will be be able to order around AI fleets loyal to us and have them fly around/between systems like the factions to now?

going by my fleet that i have amassed so far. i will post pics.. but not in this thread as its so large it requires something like 6 screen shots. every ship has its own fuel consumption rate and every ship can carry quite a lot of fuel.. my fleet does not include any tanker ships. of which there are a few in the game you can purchase and see flying around here and there in independent fleets. that being said except for the very start of when i made my character i have not come anywhere close to filling up my fuel supply.. also just purchasing the amount of fuel to fill my supply is ridiculously expensive. personally i dont think its going to be much of a problem. especially if you keep tanker ships in your fleet when it comes to your range.

here are some numbers from my fleet.

818 fleet points.
644 hanger points.
9,615 cargo points.
12,565 fuel points.
16,065 personnel points.

fuel per light year 286 = 43.93 light years at full fuel.

green crew 547 (purchased as many of these for as long as the game had them in the station then switched to regular when the station discontinued them)
regular crew 6386
veteran crew 452 (never purchased any of these or elites)
elite crew 32 (amazingly difficult to get any crew ever trained this high i have lost 1 elite to death ever)
skeleton crew 7025

my fleet is so large that the game idle sits between 1-8%. when i start a new game its in the area of 60% or more.

if anyone is intrested in seeing what my fleet is made of im going to post some screen shots in the general discussion thread.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

orion

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: February 15, 2012, 06:40:48 PM »

I wasn't necessarily talking about the logistics of flying around with a fleet that large. Ships can carry around enough fuel for quite a lot of traveling it seems. I was more talking about the, though I hate to use the word here, realism of it. It just seems a little odd, for example, to go flying around to explore in a massive fleet. What if you're just trying to find a good spot for a new outpost in some secure group of systems? A large fleet, or at least a fleet with any large ships, would travel very slowly compared to a small scout frigate. Even a large cruiser, alone, makes more sense for this type of exploration than a whole fleet. Hell, that is almost what the description of the Apogee class is anyway: "perfect for long-range exploration...Apogee captains are used to operating alone." If we amass a large fleet will we be forced to ignore the cannon in the codex, lol!

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #489 on: February 15, 2012, 06:49:09 PM »

Well, its not so much about movement speed IMO (In fact, I don't think there really should be much of a linear velocity penalty for raw fleet size at all; penalizing angular velocity/turn-rate is fine in my books)

Here is why sending a large fleet to explore is silly: its a huge investment of resources, and its only going as fast as the slowest ship (or slower, based on the planned mechanics); you can do a lot more exploring (cover more area) in a shorter amount of time with smaller fleets or single ships than you can with a single large fleet.

orion

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: February 15, 2012, 07:05:24 PM »

Well, its not so much about movement speed IMO (In fact, I don't think there really should be much of a linear velocity penalty for raw fleet size at all; penalizing angular velocity/turn-rate is fine in my books)

Here is why sending a large fleet to explore is silly: its a huge investment of resources, and its only going as fast as the slowest ship (or slower, based on the planned mechanics); you can do a lot more exploring (cover more area) in a shorter amount of time with smaller fleets or single ships than you can with a single large fleet.

I agree with both, though the second point you make hinges on how the larger game unfolds, e.g. will we be able to send out fleets that we own other than the one we command for exploration, trading, and fighting?

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: February 15, 2012, 07:07:09 PM »

agreed. also would be nice if we had a "dry dock" where we could dump ships we didn't want to use right away and didn't want to sell" my massive fleet is massive because i have issues selling the grand prizes i had to work to capture in the first place.. there my trophies :P
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

theShadow

• Lieutenant
  • Power Overwhelming
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: February 15, 2012, 07:07:40 PM »

what if we could command multiple fleets at once?
relevant http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=323.msg7740#msg7740
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 07:11:17 PM by theShadow »
Quote from: Archon
Why has a developer ever needed any reason other than "it looks bloody awesome"?

I do 3D modeling and map creation for an open source fps called xonotic

orion

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: February 15, 2012, 07:18:03 PM »

I meant in a more general sense to go with the whole "fleet commander" feel of the game, where you don't take direct control of fleets other than your own just as you don't take direct control over ships other than your flagship. Besides, I wouldn't want to have to follow who knows how many fleets around the sector to make them do what they want. I want to be able to tell the commander of a fleet "Go trade and make the organisation money" or "go explore" or "go kill those bad guys because I'm too lazy to." Same concept as the battle screen, but on the scale of the whole sector.

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: February 15, 2012, 07:19:45 PM »

also wanted to point out.. that while we cant modify fighters in any way. they can still lose weapons like regular ships.. and even if you lose all but 1 ship in the squad when they are fully repaired they still do not get there weapons back.

i have a few fighter wings that should have more weapons than they actually do. one was the strong torpedo bomber with the shields.. (forgot its name) only the only weapon it had was the single PD laser. and even after going back to a carrier for repair in battle did not re-acquire its torpedo.. also have a fighter wing that lost its main weapon and only has a pd laser.
Alex
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 39