Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 39

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.5a Preview (Released) - Live Patch Notes  (Read 301777 times)

theShadow

• Lieutenant
  • Power Overwhelming
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.5a Preview (Released) - Live Patch Notes
« Reply #465 on: February 15, 2012, 07:41:56 AM »

the front page is what is planned for the final version. the patch notes for this release are on the first page of this topic.
Quote from: Archon
Why has a developer ever needed any reason other than "it looks bloody awesome"?

I do 3D modeling and map creation for an open source fps called xonotic

obo

• Ensign
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: February 15, 2012, 09:03:31 AM »

Hey guys

I really like the new campain but i got a few questions: 1. Will there be a difficulty setting later on? 2. Why can i click on Asteroids and Planets? Are they planned for interactions? 3. How will be the campaign after this first "mission"? Do i have to clear this solar system or how does that work?

Btw its really hard for me to get more than 2 ships in the campain, i bought a destroyer + my starting frigate but i cant tell you how often i died. Maybe im too bad but is it possible to buy shields on the station?

theShadow

• Lieutenant
  • Power Overwhelming
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 15, 2012, 09:21:27 AM »

@obo: honestly, what i started doing is saving before every combat. if things don't go well for you, reload. it takes longer, but it guarantees that when you make progress, you get to keep it.

BTW, I have a solution for the "cat and mouse" issue that happens when trying to find a battle. the main issue is that as your fleet gets bigger, it gets slower and it becomes harder to catch anyone. so here is my solution.

I propose a major change of the way the travel overlay works. instead of having 1 fleet that you control directly, I would like to see a much more RTS like approach, where you can have multiple fleets, and you control them like units in an RTS. thats how you control your single fleet now actually, so all I am asking is to be able to have multiple fleets that can be controlled as one or separately. also something to make the control system a bit clearer, such as waypoints when you select a destination.

When you enter into a battle, all of your owned ships would be available to call in, not just the ships in the fleet you used to initiate the combat. This would make the concept of your other ships being "reinforcements" make more sense, because they are ships from another fleet coming in to help.

In addition to fixing the cat and mouse issue, this will lay groundwork for much more complex gameplay strategies, allowing you to have your ships in different places doing different things at the same time. for example, you can have your mining and transport craft in one fleet, running a supply line between a base and a meteor belt, and you can have another fleet patrolling that supply line, while you have a 3, small and fast strike group hunting down pirates (which is how it solves the original issue btw)

In fact, I even foresee a slight variation of the command point system translated to the travel overlay, so you can assign tasks for various fleets, or create waypoints on the map to rally specific fleet types, build space stations, along with plateforms to defend them, etc.

bottom line, this will allow you to scale much more effectively.

BTW if this is what you have been planning on doing anyway, awesome :D
Quote from: Archon
Why has a developer ever needed any reason other than "it looks bloody awesome"?

I do 3D modeling and map creation for an open source fps called xonotic

Rymosrac

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 15, 2012, 09:52:38 AM »

Just want to throw it out there that this game is fantastic.

A suggestion though, if I may:

Have you thought about changing the missile guidance AI to be lead-pursuit instead of chase-pursuit? The vast majority of modern guided missiles work that way, and it would generally improve the consistency of missile weapons.

Maybe make it one of the system upgrades available, priced a 2-3 points or something?

Just a thought.

swang

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 15, 2012, 10:02:05 AM »

Three comments:

1) On the refit screen, it'd be nice if the currently installed item has the stats displayed when you click on the mount for comparison.  Also, the type of the mount (small/med/large, energy/missile/ballistic) should be displayed.

2) given that fighters also have weapons, there probably should be a way to refit them as well.

3) on the trading screen, it'd be nice to be able to sell a ship with the "strip weapons" option...

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 15, 2012, 10:12:59 AM »

Just want to throw it out there that this game is fantastic.

Have you thought about changing the missile guidance AI to be lead-pursuit instead of chase-pursuit? The vast majority of modern guided missiles work that way, and it would generally improve the consistency of missile weapons.

Yes. Yes it is.

I believe it already does.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #471 on: February 15, 2012, 10:30:59 AM »

Hey guys

I really like the new campain but i got a few questions: 1. Will there be a difficulty setting later on? 2. Why can i click on Asteroids and Planets? Are they planned for interactions? 3. How will be the campaign after this first "mission"? Do i have to clear this solar system or how does that work?

Btw its really hard for me to get more than 2 ships in the campain, i bought a destroyer + my starting frigate but i cant tell you how often i died. Maybe im too bad but is it possible to buy shields on the station?

There is already a difficulty setting; go to settings -> gameplay. By default, a ship piloted by the player will take half damage.

Rymosrac

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: February 15, 2012, 10:40:27 AM »

Went back and checked, pretty much all homing missiles are chase-pursuit. The salamander MRMs obviously behave a little different, but it's still chasse-pursuit.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: February 15, 2012, 10:42:40 AM »

They may be called chase pursuit, but they are leading the target. I know Alex has said this somewhere but can't find it.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: February 15, 2012, 10:46:36 AM »

Went back and checked, pretty much all homing missiles are chase-pursuit. The salamander MRMs obviously behave a little different, but it's still chasse-pursuit.

They do some target leading. It's not pure chase-pursuit - that would be *much* less effective - but the leading isn't optimal.  I don't want missile guidance to be perfect, though - there's fun to be had in both being able to dodge missiles, and in needing to time launches appropriately to ensure hits.

Rymosrac

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: February 15, 2012, 10:54:19 AM »

Ahh, okay. Still seems like the guidance could be a bit more intelligent without becoming overpowered, or that significant guidance improvement could be worth ship slots as an upgrade. But that's just me, and I'm a missile junkie.

Anyways, thanks for the response! Love the game!

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #476 on: February 15, 2012, 11:10:18 AM »

Advanced Guidance Module would be a nice 10/20/30/40-cost hull mod.  Similarly, Missile Jamming would be a nice system or hull mod to have as a counterbalance.

Obviously, the game is not complete enough for advanced missile homing to be balanced, but it would be great to see down the road.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: February 15, 2012, 11:19:03 AM »

Yeah, I concur - I was thinking of a mod like that myself. So, we'll see :)

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #478 on: February 15, 2012, 11:35:18 AM »

Won't there be a counter-missile EMP one? Or was that specifically built-into the omen?

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: February 15, 2012, 11:40:52 AM »

an observation of in system speed.

so i was looking threw my fleet of ships and noting all there top travel speeds so i could see what my speed should be while moving around in the system. and it does not match what i actually do in system. right now my top (+0%) speed in system is 58 while my (+100%) speed is 115

the slowest ship in my fleet is actually 115. so going by the +0% i would assume that should be 115 while +100% i would assume should be 230.

also if the system is working like you are intending for it to work now Alex might i suggest changing the (+0%) to (50%) and the (+100%) to (100%) to be less confusing.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 39