Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 39

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.5a Preview (Released) - Live Patch Notes  (Read 301771 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.5a Preview (Released) - Live Patch Notes
« Reply #435 on: February 14, 2012, 02:10:00 PM »

Edit: Oh, hey, are the Tri-Tachyon's actually attacking the orbital station by Corvus II (where you start)? They seem to fly...around it, but there are no great explosions, and eventually the hegemony fleet comes back and scares them away.
Until the hegemony fleet is weakened, that is.

... let's say they want to ultimately take the station over instead blowing it up.

While there are a few odd things I've noticed (things that are sure to be fixed in future updates as the game isn't finished) are that its difficult to figure out while in game what size and type hardpoints your ships have when your buying things, and what the OP is or could be based on what you're buying. Unless I've missed something (which is completely possible) I keep having to buy one or two things, leave the station, fit them on to make sure all the numbers check out, then re-dock at the station. With the small fleet I got (before losing it all in an ill chosen battle and getting stuck in a Dram class tanker) that wasn't too bad. But with a large fleet it'd be miserable!

Also, is there a way to plot a course to something off screen? The system map doesn't seem clickable and I keep mis-aiming when trying to fly across the entire system. Having to pop open the map ever few seconds gets tedious.

Both good points - added to the list. Not exactly sure what the solution to the first one would be. It's definitely an issue, but does get a little easier once you learn your ships.

orion

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 14, 2012, 02:16:16 PM »

Perhaps as a solution to the first problem you could have a something along the lines of a small codex screen pop up when in the trade screen with shortcuts to the ships you have and possibly fluff information about whatever you have selected.

Ah, also a time saving idea for the trade menu: when you have something selected and held on your cursor and click on an item in either your cargo or the station you don't switch what your holding for what is now under your mouse. What you were holding is dropped and goes into the first available slot and you're left with a free mouse to pick up what is under it now or to click elsewhere.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 02:20:56 PM by orion »

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #437 on: February 14, 2012, 02:28:20 PM »

heading back home to play some more after eating pizza and defeating the exam like a buffalo2 getting its prow blasted in by my lasher

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: February 14, 2012, 02:32:09 PM »

Ah, also a time saving idea for the trade menu: when you have something selected and held on your cursor and click on an item in either your cargo or the station you don't switch what your holding for what is now under your mouse. What you were holding is dropped and goes into the first available slot and you're left with a free mouse to pick up what is under it now or to click elsewhere.

Right click, sort of (that puts whatever is on the mouse back where it came from). Good idea to do what you're suggesting when selling stuff, though - but maybe not when putting it in your cargo holds.

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: February 14, 2012, 02:48:30 PM »

Shift click to get a certain amount of things in dock.

Also Lasher class are amazing at taking down buffaloes and most other frigates, unless they are cornered by bombers or heavy fighters, so try to have some of your own or good defence guns :) :) :)

MidnightSun

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #440 on: February 14, 2012, 03:21:02 PM »

Is there currently any way to "fast travel" back to the start location? I somehow managed to chase a Talon wing quite far off the map, and now can't seem to get back (literally flew for 15 minutes at max speed). Might have to restart...  :(

dgibso29

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: February 14, 2012, 03:56:50 PM »

I keep finding myself swarmed by larger fleets. I've never had more than two ships. And I often get stuck respawning amid larger fleets and dying repeatedly.

theShadow

• Lieutenant
  • Power Overwhelming
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: February 14, 2012, 05:29:22 PM »

Great fun. I've been unable to amass any more than 2 ships as well, but I'm working at it.

in other news, Alex, you should get on IRC, as well as anyone else who wants to, and we can discuss the game and provide feedback there.

irc.freenode.net
#starfarer
Quote from: Archon
Why has a developer ever needed any reason other than "it looks bloody awesome"?

I do 3D modeling and map creation for an open source fps called xonotic

Henry_Spencer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: February 14, 2012, 05:29:57 PM »

Wow you weren't kidding when you said it was a big chunk of new data... Great stuff! I just bought the game days ago... just enough time to play all the missions and WHAM massive update. Lucky me...

Everything seems to work fine for now, I am specifically really enjoying the upgrade/customizing part of the game (I am a real sucker for that kind of stuff). Though one thing that I would like to see is a possibility to fly a ship from my fleet just for fun to check out what the improvements, new weapons, new configurations etc. do... On other more arcadish games I have played (Escape Velocity comes to mind) you could just leave the station to test out new weapons or upgrades, or new ships. Right now, as far as I know, you have to find someone to fight in order to check stuff out which is both time consuming and potentially dangerous... Testing out new ship layouts before going to battle is something I would very much enjoy...
Maybe I am missing something and you can actually do this, but I haven't figured it out yet..

Anyway... i don't want to sound too critical I am aware it's only an alpha and I do think the game is really shaping up to be a really good, in depth, replayable, immersive game. Something that is really missing from space combat games... I just wanted to give my two cents. Keep up the good work!

theShadow

• Lieutenant
  • Power Overwhelming
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: February 14, 2012, 05:36:38 PM »

actually, i do have one rather gnarly issue. when engaging in 1 on 1 combat, the AI has a tendency to be far too cautious, to the point of not even attacking at all. I have spent far too many battles where the enemy just hovers right outside of my range, and since all the ships have about the same speed, a battle that could have been over in 3 minutes ends up taking an hour or more.

This is especially annoying when piloting ships with low range, low tech weapons.
Why has a developer ever needed any reason other than "it looks bloody awesome"?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: February 14, 2012, 05:41:21 PM »

actually, i do have one rather gnarly issue. when engaging in 1 on 1 combat, the AI has a tendency to be far too cautious, to the point of not even attacking at all. I have spent far too many battles where the enemy just hovers right outside of my range, and since all the ships have about the same speed, a battle that could have been over in 3 minutes ends up taking an hour or more.

This is especially annoying when piloting ships with low range, low tech weapons.

Hmm. I haven't had that happen. Have you tried backing off, and then accelerating forward as it starts to follow? Also, if your ship has missiles, they can end a 1-1 very quickly. If you can point out a specific matchup of ships, I'll take a closer look.

Re: IRC - sorry, I'm not up for that right now. My head is spinning from all the things going on today :)

Jerry

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: February 14, 2012, 05:56:06 PM »

Hmm. I haven't had that happen. Have you tried backing off, and then accelerating forward as it starts to follow? Also, if your ship has missiles, they can end a 1-1 very quickly. If you can point out a specific matchup of ships, I'll take a closer look.

Re: IRC - sorry, I'm not up for that right now. My head is spinning from all the things going on today :)

That's what I figured out after a couple of battles, you can trick a ship into following you by accelerating away from them, then just suddenly spin around and go straight back at them. You'll usually be able to get a couple of good bursts in.

A lot of fun so far Alex. The Only things I can think of are what other people have mentioned already, like if you go off map getting back can be an issue, as well as some kind of way to know roughly where you're going when flying around the system without having to flip to the tactical map.

Great fun! :D

theShadow

• Lieutenant
  • Power Overwhelming
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: February 14, 2012, 06:11:43 PM »

yeah, thats what I started doing, with limited success.

and the ship that is the worst about this (especially in 1 on 1) is the hound class frigate. there was one ship I had where the missiles had the same speed as the hound class, making them completely useless.

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: February 14, 2012, 07:16:26 PM »

i was thinking a bit about the implantation of the station store and how one could purchase things without having to undock check your ships load outs and weapon sizes. and then re dock and purchase weapons.

first off. there should be a field on weapon tool tips in the refit screen when you are selecting what weapon to use as to there size as its not abundantly clear. right now one can assume the sizes of weapons from the refit screen but unless you find out threw other means one wont know the actual size of the weapons they are installing on there hard points/turrets.

second. i think it would be a good idea to have a new interactive layer added to the purchase/sell screen of the station. it could be called something like dry dock. where you click it and you go into a "refit" type screen like we have now but instead of only using the weapons you have in your inventory now you can also purchase and directly install them into your ships. thus removing the having to undock look at hard points and turrets for sizes and weapons types for your ships and then going back to the store seeing what they have and purchasing things that way. it would also remove a player from having to potentially write notes down about how many of what kind of weapon they need to purchase etc. because they can do it all there. you could solve the confusion about what weapons you have in your cargo vs what is in the store by color coding the weapon backgrounds and adding prices under the pictures for weapons your purchasing to place in hard points/turrets from this "dry dock" screen.

on another topic. to help remove confusion when a player is looking at ships in the ship purchase screen along with listing what weapons that ship will come with i think it would be nice to list the size and amount of the hard points/turrets. that the ship has. for players that want to customize right off the bat or down the line.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Patchumz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: February 14, 2012, 08:00:09 PM »

I've actually had the same issue. I lost because while trying to get an NPC to engage me for 10+ minutes, I didn't notice that my other guys were getting whittled down. Which is my fault, but I could never even get to his hull. The times I could catch up for a second, I could only do minimal amounts of shield damage, then he'd get too far away. He never even hit me sitting still, that's how overly cautious they are sometimes.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 39