Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Burst Missile Rack  (Read 3002 times)

Ishman

• Captain
    • View Profile
Burst Missile Rack
« on: June 20, 2012, 11:07:32 AM »

The ability to instantly reload your missile racks is interesting, but doubling the number of projectiles you fling out is only of moderately increased utility and tactical flexibility IMO.

Thus a system that allows rapid sustained launching of all launchers for a given period of time, or launches, whichever comes first. All hands are directed from operating shield systems, engines, power routing, repairs, and so forth to prepare for Macross Missile Storm time, leaving the ship completely disabled for the duration of the effect and for some time afterwards as they rush back to their stations - but the potential payoff is worth the risk if you are filling a volume of space with a storm of MIRVing missiles.

Thoughts? Too OP, too UP, balanced, tweakable?

Shoat

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Burst Missile Rack
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 11:45:43 AM »

One medium ballistic slot on the enemy ship (-> Flak) and this system is near useless.
Any ship that does not have Flaks will just die, because no other PD can handle it.
(Hell, you need the full attention of all the Burst PD's on a Paragon to even handle one MIRV missile, let alone a salvo of three or more.)

I think that insta-reloading once in a while for a double missile salvo and with no extra downsides other than cooldown is enough.
Anything more extreme will become a nightmare to balance properly. Also lags the game (see the scourge mod and it's swarms of missiles or the MMM launcher from another mod).

It'll probably not become a direct ship system because of balance and laggyness, but you can probably build something similar with modding (though not the exact thing you describe).

Ishman

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 12:57:40 PM »

I uh... don't find those weapons to lag my game >_>

I also don't see the difference between this and having multiple missile boats.

heskey30

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 07:00:12 PM »

With a cyclone torpedo launcher and expanded missile racks on that is a total of 240,000 HE damage in one launch. I am pretty sure that would one hit anything, even modded. Capital ships would be completely obsolete!

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 06:20:13 PM »

Could always make burst rack's missiles have less durability so they're more readily shot down.  Also it should probably only be for weapons that have 'Racks' like small/medium Harpoon/Salamander/etc.

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 02:27:41 AM »

Another solution would be to have it as a hull mod that would automatically fill your missile slots with a special weapon

Macro Missile
OP: N/A (provided through Hullmod)
Range: 500-ish
Damage: 15
DPS: 600-ish (full salvo damage)
Damage type: N/A (100% damage on everything)
Salvo/minute:0.3 (3 minutes to get full salvo ready)

Macross Massacre styled but each missiles would need nothing short of low damage per impact and fairly long reload time