Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [IDEA] Salvage-enabled research  (Read 2458 times)

Durendal5150

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
[IDEA] Salvage-enabled research
« on: June 16, 2012, 08:30:55 PM »

Can't code, but after seeing the economy mod in progress I figured something like this might be more plausible than I at first thought.

The idea is that when a ship of faction A is brought to a base beloning to B, when the script comes around it will be removed and replaced with one or a few ships that are sort of a hybrid of the two technologies. The idea was mostly for my cosmic horror mod; that the Player starts out with useless junk, but gains access to new weapons and such by bringing scraps of this and that Possibly even special cargo items dropped by things, not weapons or ships, back to their "home" station, where next month or whatever it will be replaced with purchasable goods based on the "research."

Could even work in Vanilla. Bring an Astral back to the Hegemony and get their own kind of high-shield unit. Take an Assault Chaingun to Tri-Tachyon and get a repeating energy weapon of some sort out of it.

Anywho, that's the gist. Any Coders think it's possible?

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: [IDEA] Salvage-enabled research
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 08:49:32 PM »

With my experience...no idea.  I've next to no experience with any hardcore java coding (I'm a humble weapons smith, nothing too bad there), except with the occasional code change for a ship.  But with what I've seen, missions being added and even the economy mod, I'm pretty sure it'd be possible.  The main issue is, as always, gameplay.  A lot of ship would have to be redesigned, hundreds of new ships made, etc.  New weapons as well, a lot of new stuff changed in the code.

Overall, I think it'd be a fabulous idea to add, it might make the game more immersive, but it's going to be a big hard along the way.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Durendal5150

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [IDEA] Salvage-enabled research
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 09:49:01 PM »

With my experience...no idea.  I've next to no experience with any hardcore java coding (I'm a humble weapons smith, nothing too bad there), except with the occasional code change for a ship.  But with what I've seen, missions being added and even the economy mod, I'm pretty sure it'd be possible.  The main issue is, as always, gameplay.  A lot of ship would have to be redesigned, hundreds of new ships made, etc.  New weapons as well, a lot of new stuff changed in the code.

Overall, I think it'd be a fabulous idea to add, it might make the game more immersive, but it's going to be a big hard along the way.

Well, ideally it wouldn't be a lot of things, just certain triggers for certain items. It's not like every plausible combination needs to be explored.