Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Make planets easier to find  (Read 25385 times)

Tarkets

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Make planets easier to find
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2012, 04:35:40 PM »

It's not needed until more systems are added but it is a good idea. There's nothing interesting about analyzing the orbit and eyeballing an intercept course so chucking that pointless busywork is a plus

leonvision

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2012, 03:04:50 AM »

i support this idea, AFTER it has gone to beta or even after release. this really is purely a accessibility/visual thing and should not be prioritized before gameplay updates. i think this WILL be quite useful when there's multiple systems.

besides, it's much easier to find planets right now, especially since all planets are orbitting in perfect circles. when we are to get elliptical or even pear-shaped orbits, this addition will really shine, and yes those exists.
twitter: lagdotexe - mainly about gaming

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2012, 03:51:10 AM »

There's one problem with it, though. Planets can't orbit in a pear-shaped orbit. :3

leonvision

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2012, 03:52:39 AM »

There's one problem with it, though. Planets can't orbit in a pear-shaped orbit. :3

they can, it IS however, very unstable.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2012, 03:57:30 AM »

O.o

I have yet to see evidence of that such an orbit is feasible, though.

leonvision

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2012, 04:05:54 AM »

O.o

I have yet to see evidence of that such an orbit is feasible, though.

ok, let me eleborate upon my statement, sry for the absence of citation.

they generally only appear as the only celestial body in the system (apart from the star, of course), lest the other planets's gravity field will destroy it's oribt(hence, very unstable). how they tend to maintain their orbit is, when they orbit, as they approach their system's star, as it becomes closer and closer to the sun, the gravity becomes more powerful, which also allows a much smaller radius of their orbit, at the same speed. but because of the speed of the planet, this radius of orbit cannot be maintain for the full 360 degrees, and the planet is flung back into space at around 120~180 degree. but the "fling" is not enough to throw the planet out of orbit, the star's gravity slowly pulls the planet back, but at a much larger radius of orbit, thus forming a pear shape.

EDIT: FYI, i learned about this from a day at my university, swinburne.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 04:10:19 AM by leonvision »

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2012, 04:48:28 AM »

That sounds like an ellipitical orbit, which is the sort of orbit Pluto has. I thought you actually meant pear-shaped.

An orbit like that would require at least 3 celestial bodies to alter the course of the planet so much. One would be at the bottom, in the middle of the pear, and two more would be required on the outside, where the pear tapers to a point.

leonvision

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2012, 05:22:05 AM »

That sounds like an ellipitical orbit, which is the sort of orbit Pluto has. I thought you actually meant pear-shaped.

An orbit like that would require at least 3 celestial bodies to alter the course of the planet so much. One would be at the bottom, in the middle of the pear, and two more would be required on the outside, where the pear tapers to a point.

elliptical has 2 lines of symmetry, pear shaped has one. no it does not, it only requires a star, just some event to start off its momentum before it settles into this kind of orbit
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]