Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 57

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.53a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 368177 times)

SwipertheFox

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.53a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #765 on: August 03, 2012, 07:52:04 AM »

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! 
 ;D

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: August 03, 2012, 07:54:45 AM »

I haven't heard any whining about the Tachyon Lance yet. I haven't had a chance to play the new patch, but something tells me the Lance is going to be in a much better place.

Yeah the lance is pretty crappy now, dont think ima be using it anymore. It does a good deal of EMP damage and stuff, but there are way better options now.

neonesis

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: August 03, 2012, 08:48:24 AM »

I haven't heard any whining about the Tachyon Lance yet. I haven't had a chance to play the new patch, but something tells me the Lance is going to be in a much better place.

Yeah the lance is pretty crappy now, dont think ima be using it anymore. It does a good deal of EMP damage and stuff, but there are way better options now.
I mounted one Lance on AI controlled Apogee. Man, it sucked. When Apogee actually managed to hit something (it's a hardpoint after all but still) it usually hit shields. So I took the controls, and tried it myself - Hound was my first enemy on tactical screen, locked on, turned to shot, activated Lance... BAM, its engines went down. Aaaaaaaaand that's about it. Really, with such EMP damage I expected all its systems to just go nuts, but instead, it was still spraying its AC and hitting my fighters while slowly turning with no thrust.

Maybe its a flaw of how EMP damage is distributed, I don't know. But I dumped both Apogee and TL right away. Bought another two Medusas and enjoying them a lot :>

Nooblies

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: August 03, 2012, 09:01:05 AM »

Been playing around with a Hound for a while, and Salamanders have a bad habit of ignoring flares. I was just wondering if they have built in flare avoidance similar to the ECCM mod, as it'd make sense for such "smart" missiles to be built to counter such countermeasures.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: August 03, 2012, 09:14:21 AM »

Guys, remember
sunder with tachyon lance
engage HEF and you (should?) go back to prepatch damage
stick three on an odyssey and repeat for a lot of damage
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: August 03, 2012, 09:18:08 AM »

I think the Lance will be a very effective fire support/volley fire weapon. Running two on an Odyssey and/or four on a Paragon won't be as much of an "I WIN" button anymore.

The problem really exacerbated itself when you started massing them.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: August 03, 2012, 09:19:23 AM »

Guys, remember

Its just not worth the OP after the range nerf and the fact that you need atleast 2-3 of them and a ship with HEF for it to be usable. Maybe if the OP was dropped to 28-25 or so.

neonesis

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: August 03, 2012, 10:08:08 AM »

Guys, remember
Sorry Xareh, but that's a basic math error :D
Pre-patch TL damage = x;
Post patch = 50% of x = 0.5x;
With HEF = 0.5x + 0.5*(post-patch-damage) = 0.5x + 0.5* 0.5x = 0.5x + 0.25x = 0.75x;

So with HEF, you get 75% of the pre-patch damage. You get a lot more EMP damage, but well, I've already stated that I just don't feel it works properly.

leonvision

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: August 03, 2012, 10:16:59 AM »

Guys, remember

I've been running with a sunder with autopulse instead and that works marvelously as well, just need to be extra careful around a annihilator RL. it works even better if you have intergrated targeting unit, so you can stay out of range. i personally enjoy a sunder with a auto pulse more than lance because the lance takes too much OP. FYI, i hav 2 phasebeams in the 2 medium energy slot, no missiles and 3 light MG for point defense.
twitter: lagdotexe - mainly about gaming

Acolnahuacatl

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: August 03, 2012, 02:00:04 PM »

I have to say, I've really changed my mind about phase ships now that I've spent some time using the Doom cruiser. It has decent cargo space, and more armour than you'd expect. But what really makes it work wonderfully is its performance when equipped with an all-Annihilator front set of missiles. It can take down just about anything without worrying about running low on ammo, missing shots, building up flux or having shots diverted by flare launchers. The large number of missiles also discourages ships from approaching into weapons range, allowing you to lose flux without taking hits. Effectively, it turns a strike craft into something more like an assault craft. Phase ships also have plenty of advantages I didn't think of - for example, whilst a few squadrons of Piranhas mean trouble for even an Aurora's shield, a phase ship can just avoid the damage completely.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: August 03, 2012, 04:24:22 PM »

Spoiler
I have to say, I've really changed my mind about phase ships now that I've spent some time using the Doom cruiser. It has decent cargo space, and more armour than you'd expect. But what really makes it work wonderfully is its performance when equipped with an all-Annihilator front set of missiles. It can take down just about anything without worrying about running low on ammo, missing shots, building up flux or having shots diverted by flare launchers. The large number of missiles also discourages ships from approaching into weapons range, allowing you to lose flux without taking hits. Effectively, it turns a strike craft into something more like an assault craft. Phase ships also have plenty of advantages I didn't think of - for example, whilst a few squadrons of Piranhas mean trouble for even an Aurora's shield, a phase ship can just avoid the damage completely.
[close]
Whoo I made a build based on this, and you are right. It is maximum ownage. That and reaper spam are amazing.  :D  EDIT: And that's only with two small reaper pods.  :D

EDIT AGAIN: Also try putting 6 linked amblasters on there. Just for fun.  :D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 04:38:39 PM by icepick37 »
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

neonesis

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: August 03, 2012, 05:50:27 PM »

EDIT AGAIN: Also try putting 6 linked amblasters on there. Just for fun.  :D

Tried your Annihilator variant - didn't worked for me. So in my fury, I put 8 AM blasters on it. Oh dear. But actually, an Onslaught is capable of taking such fire, and not overloading - provided he wasn't shooting prior to assault. But then, reducing the number to 6 AMs, adding more vents, burst PD and Typhoon launchers seems to work even better, and you're not screwed up against bigger number of ships.

Still, I find the Doom underpowered in a way :>

Also, my AI-controlled Phase Frigates tend to cowardly hide behind my Medusas, and do nothing. Anyone else experiencing this?
Their setup includes 1 AM, two tracking torpedoes, two packs of sabots.

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: August 03, 2012, 09:32:06 PM »

Burn Drive is just awesome. Very well-balanced and takes forethought and skill to use.

Since you can fire during Burn Drive, it's great for chasing down Hounds or engaging point-cappers early game. But, since you can't steer while firing it and most ships that have it handle like a cow in a shopping cart, you have to be very careful where you point.

It's very satisfying with an Enforcer due to all the turreted mounts making playing catch-up trivial, and I've even tried running a version with HMGs that works reasonably well to get in their face. The Dominator is less easy-to-use due to the fixed hardpoints, but I imagine the Onslaught will be great fun. Also, giving it to the Tarsus makes the "Wolf Pack" mission much harder!

-The Skimmer is great too, although the AI is way better at it than I am since they can skip around all over the place and still keep hardpointed beams pointing at enemy targets. They even use it to avoid collisions.

-The Omen's EMP burst is VERY powerful, especially against minimally-shielded ships. One Omen does a big number on large groups of fighters and missiles now.

-I haven't figured out phase ships yet. Great mechanic, but tough to use effectively due to the limited time you have to spend phased. It'll probably take some learning to do.

-Fast Missile Racks is great for sending another round of Harpoons into a venting/overloaded ship. Works great. The rapid reload on the Hammerhead is nice too with lower-flux weapons, although you can overload yourself pretty quick if you're not careful. Maneuvering Jets is nice, especially on an asymmetrical Conquest, but the Eagle and Falcon are still a little... uninteresting to fly, for lack of a better term.

-The Buffalo Panic is actually pretty scary if you don't have flak!

DrZaloski

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: August 03, 2012, 09:52:23 PM »

I love how this updates always surprise me and come out of nowhere. I read all the information like ship system and phase-cloaking, think "that's cool" then forget about it. Then some day in the next month I stop by on the news again and see it's all out. Always makes me a little happier :D

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: August 04, 2012, 12:39:38 AM »

We've had 4 pages up overnight....
Methinks we've got a nerdception going on...

Anywho here's me thinking that all thats really left to implement in the campaign is

-Actual missions to earn your moola

-System travel

-RPG elements such as captain leveling up and officers and all that crap...

-Faction creation capacities ?
(I.E. create your own faction in space and empire creation/management)

I make it sound like its not a lot but its actually pretty good chunk of mostly coding right there....

Do correct me if there's more I forgot ?
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 57