Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 57

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.53a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 368079 times)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.53a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #540 on: July 23, 2012, 07:39:57 AM »

Lances are Lances, they will poke a giant hole in your ship without mercy.  Overpowered as they are, they're balanced out by the long time in between bursts.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: July 23, 2012, 07:50:45 AM »

Lances are Lances, they will poke a giant hole in your ship without mercy.  Overpowered as they are, they're balanced out by the long time in between bursts.

They're not balanced out by the long time between bursts. That's the problem. They completely destroy smaller craft singly with pinpoint accuracy (I know, I ran a Railgun/ TacLance Sunder solo against hilariously large fleets) and if you can bring two or three to bear, nothing smaller than a cruiser will hold up under that onslaught due to the incredible ability of the Lance to concentrate a lot of firepower on one ship from anywhere in the map.

Seriously, anyone who's used the Lance in combat knows its power, and it overshadows many of the other Large-sized energy weapons as a result. No other Large weapon (not even the devastating Heavy Needler) has such an incredible effect on the dynamics of the battlefield, nor such incredible effectiveness against every ship type with such long range.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 07:53:39 AM by Temjin »

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: July 23, 2012, 09:29:56 AM »

Just a random question about the phase system in general: How customisable is the whole thing? Like in terms of the phasing in/out effects on individual ships? Will that be moddable at all or is it hardcoded?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: July 23, 2012, 09:39:09 AM »

Just a random question about the phase system in general: How customisable is the whole thing? Like in terms of the phasing in/out effects on individual ships? Will that be moddable at all or is it hardcoded?

As far as individual ships using the same phase cloak system, there are two glow layers that are specific per ship, but beyond that, it's all defined in the system itself.

If you're looking to create an alternate phase cloak system, that's much more moddable - you can set the colors for the glow layers and configure some other visual changes for the ship - weapon and engine glow modifiers, a teleporter-like shimmer effect (which in itself is pretty configurable), etc. For example, if you'll notice on the screenshot in the blog post, the phased ship doesn't have any engine glows - that's defined in the system. You could instead make the engine glows bigger, glowier, change color, etc.

If you really wanted to, actually, you could set up a unique phase cloak system per ship that functioned the same but looked different.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: July 23, 2012, 09:44:18 AM »

Ah, excellent, just the kind of answer I was looking for, thanks.

armoredcookie

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: July 23, 2012, 09:49:42 AM »

So how will phasing be applicable to fighters? If at all?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: July 23, 2012, 09:56:21 AM »

So how will phasing be applicable to fighters? If at all?

There aren't any phase fighters in the game right now. Whether there will be any is up in the air - but the fighter (and drone) AI knows about using a phase cloak if it's equipped with one.

Dx

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: July 23, 2012, 12:13:50 PM »

Phased Drone! Do want!

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: July 23, 2012, 12:50:17 PM »

Wait, is it possible then to create a phase ship that has an optical cloak aswell? (To make the ship more invisible :))

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: July 23, 2012, 12:53:49 PM »

I'm more interested in the phase-in/out effects. Having low tech phase ships shred their way through crudely, while the high tech ones gracefully slide into phase would be a magnificent sight

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: July 23, 2012, 12:55:16 PM »

won't be invisible to the AI if you just make it invisible through an effect (@upgradecap)

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: July 23, 2012, 01:26:39 PM »

I'm more interested in the phase-in/out effects. Having low tech phase ships shred their way through crudely, while the high tech ones gracefully slide into phase would be a magnificent sight

thats actually a really good idea.
i could see low-tech ship phase in like the predators in the movie with all the buzzing lighting and stuff while the high-tech one would gracefully phase-in like the jumpers in stargate atlantis

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: July 23, 2012, 01:27:39 PM »

won't be invisible to the AI if you just make it invisible through an effect (@upgradecap)
Well, that's true.  But it'd be neat also if the Ai could be programmed to  to react to ships according to their visibility :D

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: July 23, 2012, 01:41:46 PM »

I'm curious: since apparently the mechanics of phasing are editable like other ship systems, is it possible to change the key bindings for its (or any other system's, for that matter) activation? If so, I'm assuming the choices would only be the F key or right mouse button, but that's all I'm interested in.

Also, if it the above is possible, then would this allow for a ship to have two systems, with one system bound to the right mouse button, and the other bound to the F key?

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: July 23, 2012, 01:56:13 PM »

I'm pretty sure there is zero chance of getting two systems onto a single ship. Phasing replaces shields. So it'll be the same bind as shield activation and deactivation.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 57