Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 57

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.53a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 368115 times)

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.53a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #495 on: July 19, 2012, 08:49:46 AM »

Let's not be dramatic here, we're talking one weapon getting a range and damage nerf.  Playtest the change, report back.  These changes shouldn't be contested prior to being made in an alpha build.  And we can do without snotty, "Fine, then I just won't use it!" remarks.

Again, this is alpha.  The game may change drastically between patches and testers are expected to cope with it professionally.  If something is nerfed or buffed too severely, it will certainly be reflected in playtesting and fixed.  What's especially nice about the .csv file is that if you personally don't like a change, you can simply change it back.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 08:57:19 AM by keptin »

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: July 19, 2012, 09:36:17 AM »

Let's not be dramatic here, we're talking one weapon getting a range and damage nerf.  Playtest the change, report back.  These changes shouldn't be contested prior to being made in an alpha build.  And we can do without snotty, "Fine, then I just won't use it!" remarks.

Again, this is alpha.  The game may change drastically between patches and testers are expected to cope with it professionally.  If something is nerfed or buffed too severely, it will certainly be reflected in playtesting and fixed.  What's especially nice about the .csv file is that if you personally don't like a change, you can simply change it back.
I second this motion.

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: July 19, 2012, 10:10:46 AM »

Let's not be dramatic here, we're talking one weapon getting a range and damage nerf.  Playtest the change, report back.  These changes shouldn't be contested prior to being made in an alpha build.  And we can do without snotty, "Fine, then I just won't use it!" remarks.

Again, this is alpha.  The game may change drastically between patches and testers are expected to cope with it professionally.  If something is nerfed or buffed too severely, it will certainly be reflected in playtesting and fixed.  What's especially nice about the .csv file is that if you personally don't like a change, you can simply change it back.
I second this motion.

I agree, unless you can provide enough proof to justify a claim. Knee-jerk reactions and hyperbole need not apply.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 11:48:35 AM by naufrago »

DJ Die

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: July 19, 2012, 10:39:27 AM »

and that can be a problem you shouldnt do any drastic changes if it doesnt include adding new stuff....many devs take the change too far so instead of making it balanced they break it again the other way round
but i dont think that will be a problem here

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: July 19, 2012, 11:05:09 AM »

and that can be a problem you shouldnt do any drastic changes if it doesnt include adding new stuff
Disagree. Any change to the game doesn't need to come with added features. And, weapon balance should absolutely be contested while in alpha. A game's alpha and beta phases are the time to be arguing over those stats. While I do agree with the upcoming Tachyon Lance nerf, if I didn't I would totally be arguing right now. Of course, the keyword there is arguing, not whining. If you disagree with the change, give your reasons and suggest other possible changes or compromises.

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: July 19, 2012, 11:09:46 AM »

you shouldnt do any drastic changes if it doesnt include adding new stuff

What?  ???  It's almost like you have no idea what an alpha build is.  ANYTHING, even entire gameplay features, can be completely overhauled or cut at any time.  This is common.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: July 19, 2012, 11:17:30 AM »

you shouldnt do any drastic changes if it doesnt include adding new stuff

What?  ???  It's almost like you have no idea what an alpha build is.  ANYTHING, even entire gameplay features, can be completely overhauled or cut at any time.  This is common.

Yep, agreed. Besides, if alex wants to or thinks that the current balance is wrong, he may freely change it completely as he wishes to. And he doesn't need to add something new at all. :P

DJ Die

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: July 19, 2012, 11:23:07 AM »

well overhauling isnt really balancing thats not what i mean is that sometimes you need to be careful when balancing because even seemingly decent change cant totally destroy balance or create a different problem

thats one thing i hate about World of tanks....they cant balance stuff properly so every time they add new stuff they usually make it OP and then nerf it to hell in the next

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: July 19, 2012, 11:32:10 AM »

well overhauling isnt really balancing thats not what i mean is that sometimes you need to be careful when balancing because even seemingly decent change cant totally destroy balance or create a different problem

thats one thing i hate about World of tanks....they cant balance stuff properly so every time they add new stuff they usually make it OP and then nerf it to hell in the next
The point of being in Alpha, since you appear to genuinely not know, is to make massive game-changing fixes. Sometimes those fixes break the game. Sometimes they improve things. They're all steps on the path to a complete game, so don't whine. Refusing to make balance fixes 'in case they cause more problems' is completely irrational.
Also, I'm not entirely sure, but isn't World of Tanks a complete game? It hasn't been in Alpha for a long time.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: July 19, 2012, 12:17:07 PM »

World of Tanks current version is 0.7.4, it's still in beta but they realise it for EU and USA 1 year ago and for Russia 2 years ago. The game isn't finished jet its far from it. Sorry for off
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

DJ Die

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: July 19, 2012, 12:21:56 PM »

yeah WOT devs say it is a fully fledged product but anyone whos played the game knows its isnt....their devs abuse lack of similar games on the market...hell in fact Starfarer is better balanced than WOT is at times...they only difference is that combat in Starfarer is quite balanced as it is and just needs some polishing like the new systems

im just saying that sometimes its better to make incremental changes  ;) besides its just my opinion and im not forcing anyone to abide by it....

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: July 19, 2012, 01:03:39 PM »

For what it's worth: I appreciate your guys' feedback on anything and everything, even things that haven't been released yet. Oftentimes it exposes an angle that I hadn't considered, an unanticipated use of something, etc. Getting feedback is as much the point of an alpha/beta as anything else.

That being said, ultimately I've got to do what seems right to me, but feedback - especially well-presented, thoughtful feedback - will often influence what that is :)

I'm not sure why weapon buffs/nerfs are even under debate.  If you don't like it a certain way, go into weapon_data.csv and change them to whatever you want.
The base game should always have a modicum of balance. I mean, otherwise we might as well just be given a blank csv or one where every value is set to 1 to fill in whatever we want.

The way I see it, being able to edit something yourself is the ultimate fail-safe - but not something one should count on the player doing. The base game should be as balanced as possible, and it's something I'm paying careful attention to. With so many things changing, things will slip through the cracks occasionally - but that's what the next version is for. At this point, I wouldn't get too worried about a particular change you don't like - if additional playtesting confirms it's not a good idea, it's a good bet that it will change.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: July 20, 2012, 05:16:27 AM »

Hmm
I have one slight idea for reducing the visibility of phased ships...

You actually need to SEE them. On the edges of the screen they don't come up if phased, so there's a good sense of they can actually come up behind you if you aren't vigilant
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: July 20, 2012, 09:37:09 AM »

It's a great idea, just don't know if it's necessary. Phasing is already pretty crazy powerful.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: July 20, 2012, 09:47:36 AM »

It's a great idea, just don't know if it's necessary. Phasing is already pretty crazy powerful.

How? You can't fire, you overload if you pass through a ship, and have constant flux buildup. To me, shields sounds like a better idea. :P
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 57