Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 57

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.53a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 368067 times)

Strifen

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.53a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #315 on: July 04, 2012, 04:02:01 PM »

Amusing how you can come up with all these reasons for all these ships having the systems they do yet you do not extent this to the tempest.

You can clearly see that it is the utility of the system that matters, not the similarities between ships its mounted on.

The Tempest is a very advanced dog-fighter frigate, however it simply does not have the weapon package to deal with missiles, therefor, the flare system.

Haven't had many problems with enemy missiles,and generally find them underwhelming personally, I have far more trouble against ballistic weapons.; realized most of your point is "Tempest can't deal with Missiles." after I'd spent a great deal of time thinking about many things that lead me far away from the point, you could be right.

I'd have to consider other factors, most of which aren't available yet.

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 04, 2012, 05:32:45 PM »

Whoo Hoo!!

*throws confetty*

I almost got through to someone.  ;D

Missiles can be difficult to utilize by are rather powerful. You should try out the Aurora ship, it got lots of missile slots right up front, see for yourself how powerful missiles can be. Just use them in the way they are intended to be used. Read their description, see what kind of damage they do, how fast they fly, wither they have a tracking capability or not.

KriiEiter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 05, 2012, 10:17:42 AM »

Whoo Hoo!!

*throws confetty*

I almost got through to someone.  ;D

Missiles can be difficult to utilize by are rather powerful. You should try out the Aurora ship, it got lots of missile slots right up front, see for yourself how powerful missiles can be. Just use them in the way they are intended to be used. Read their description, see what kind of damage they do, how fast they fly, wither they have a tracking capability or not.

Yeah, I love the Aurora with Torpedos and Annihilator Rockets.  Overwhelm shields with rockets, torpedo, GG.  :)
"If it aint broke, don't fix it."

Giangiotto

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 05, 2012, 12:36:50 PM »

What I do with missile slots is keep them all empty and use the saved points to improve the ship.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 05, 2012, 12:43:56 PM »

Harpoons are always a good idea.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 05, 2012, 01:52:13 PM »

For me it really depends on the ship. I would never take the missiles off a wolf or lasher, but I don't use them on Hammerheads, Medusae, Eagles, or Falcons.

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 05, 2012, 02:20:46 PM »

Harpoons are always a good idea.

Yes! Not the only one :) What I do is to get as many harpoons as possible as they are perfect I believe.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 05, 2012, 02:48:15 PM »

For me it really depends on the ship. I would never take the missiles off a wolf or lasher, but I don't use them on Hammerheads, Medusae, Eagles, or Falcons.
You should try the single harpoon missiles on those ships. A single harpoon is totally worth a single OP point.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 05, 2012, 03:01:58 PM »

Can a missile have a 0 OP cost?

pigreko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 05, 2012, 03:20:12 PM »

hey, I were thinking about a thing: since there are so many changes to the gameplay, with the explosive introduction of a completely new mechanics, I think it deserves the 0.6a name ;)

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 05, 2012, 05:46:35 PM »

Can a missile have a 0 OP cost?
No, but I think a single Harpoon missile gives move flexibility than a single vent or capacitor.

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 05, 2012, 05:58:41 PM »

hey, I were thinking about a thing: since there are so many changes to the gameplay, with the explosive introduction of a completely new mechanics, I think it deserves the 0.6a name ;)
http://fractalsoftworks.com/2012/03/07/starfarer-0-51a-release/

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 06, 2012, 07:37:24 PM »

Even though he said the next one is going to be .52a, .53a, etc, I think version numbers should be determined by the number of updates as well as how gamechanging the update is.  For example, if starfarer right now were 1.0.0, this update might be called 1.1.0 due to a totally new game system being added, Ship Systems.  Smaller updates might be ship balances (like the Conquest balances in .52a) and Admiral AI changes.  Large gameplay changes, such as the introduction of Campaign, might deserve higher second-degree numbers.  The first number, in my opinion, should not be changed unless the game goes past 10 major updates (and I mean major, like campaign-size additions/changes or otherwise) or the game advances into a stage, e.g. from Alpha to Beta stage.  A forth number can be added, or a letter for this game's case, if anything's small enough.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Psycho Society

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 06, 2012, 09:26:22 PM »

Who cares? There's no need to make things more complicated than they need to be.

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 07, 2012, 12:06:24 AM »

There's no need to make things more complicated than they need to be.

I'll happily drink a toast to that. Remember the classic KISS principle: "Keep It Simple, Stupid". ;)
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 57