Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 57

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.53a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 368155 times)

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.53a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #135 on: June 15, 2012, 03:24:38 PM »

So what is the downside of the Hyperion's teleporter? And if there isn't one, what is the cooldown?

I'm worried that I could warp in behind a ship, let loose all of my torpedoes before they can get their shields up, and then warp back without taking any damage.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 15, 2012, 03:30:07 PM »

So what is the downside of the Hyperion's teleporter? And if there isn't one, what is the cooldown?

I'm worried that I could warp in behind a ship, let loose all of my torpedoes before they can get their shields up, and then warp back without taking any damage.

Now, imagine this with that idea someone suggested of having carriers repair and re-arm frigates. O_O, epic overkill.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 15, 2012, 04:57:11 PM »

This drone talk has gone too far.

No, no it hasn't. Why not have a buffalo MK 2 spawn a trio of onslaughts? PUNCHING BAG NO MORE.

You know, it would probably be really easy to do this stealthily with a mod. Add an extra space to the name and sneak it into a few fleets. Hide the whole package in another mod as a nice surprise.  ;D

WarStalkeR

• Captain
  • Per Aspera Ad Astra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 16, 2012, 08:25:54 PM »

What about it? :)
1) Will I be able to put more then one system per ship?
2) Will I be able to make hull mods to add another system on ship per installation?
3) Do you intend to add cloaking, stealth and other cover ops related stuff?
4) Do you intend to add drive, engines, teleportation inhibition stuff?
5) Do you intend to add weapon jamming and missile jammers/redirectors?

Seriously, though, there's an almost unlimited number of ship systems that could be made.
Yep, such thing limited only by imagination of creator and... you don't have problem with this, aside from the damage types :P

Custom AI... it's a possibility, at some point. Would require a good amount of work on the API, though, which is why I'm holding off on it.
Good to know... that there is a possibility for one. Because if it will be possible, players will be able to encounter my second self in my mod :)

"Happiness for everybody, freely, and let no one to leave unhappy!" (c) Strugatsky Brothers
Independent Defense Force is here! And they already in Sector Xplo.

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 16, 2012, 08:32:02 PM »

Yeah, I'm also worried about this. The Hyperion already has the highest firepower and largest shield of any frigate (at least, I think), if it can just jump everywhere at any time you'd basically have to fill the entire area with missiles before you could even stand a chance of hitting it.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 16, 2012, 09:07:25 PM »

I'm sure the cooldown for the teleporter is long enough to prevent the Hyperion from doing that. And if it isn't, a simple downside such as temporarily disabled shields after a teleport would prevent a player from unloading missiles up an Onslaught's backdoor without thinking twice.

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 16, 2012, 09:12:09 PM »

I'm sure the cooldown for the teleporter is long enough to prevent the Hyperion from doing that. And if it isn't, a simple downside such as temporarily disabled shields after a teleport would prevent a player from unloading missiles up an Onslaught's backdoor without thinking twice.
That would limit the teleporter to only a escape system instead of being able to use it for both offensive and defensive maneuvers.

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 16, 2012, 10:47:31 PM »

Not really. Just because you don't have shields doesn't mean you can't still put up a tough fight with the enemy even with minimal armor and integrity. The Hyperion is fast, and with the teleporter it can choose what guns will be firing at it.

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 16, 2012, 11:10:42 PM »

Not really. Just because you don't have shields doesn't mean you can't still put up a tough fight with the enemy even with minimal armor and integrity. The Hyperion is fast, and with the teleporter it can choose what guns will be firing at it.
The Hyperion simply can't rely on its puny armor and speed is meaningless at point blank range. It really needs its shields. You already have a risk when using the teleporter, if you teleport yourself into combat you are at risk, systems come with a cooldown timer, using it to move in behind an onslaught and being unable to get away instantly is a big risk all of its own.

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 17, 2012, 01:20:16 AM »

The Hyperion simply can't rely on its puny armor and speed is meaningless at point blank range.
Who said you needed to get into point blank range? You have medium energy slots, and missile slots, you don't need to get into point blank range.

You already have a risk when using the teleporter, if you teleport yourself into combat you are at risk,
Why would you teleport yourself into combat instead of burning your engines for a few more seconds? Wouldn't you use it to teleport behind your enemies instead? ;)

systems come with a cooldown timer
Yes, I'm pretty sure I've caught that by myself from the various things said around this thread.

using it to move in behind an onslaught and being unable to get away instantly is a big risk all of its own.
Yes it's risky, especially without the shields. But it's not an impossible move to teleport behind your enemy and let loose, no? If it's not impossible, then it doesn't limit the teleporter to an escape system, does it? ;)

Also, it doesn't specifically need to be an Onslaught. It could just be a Dominator, an Eagle, or so on. There are plenty of ships that have very poor rear guns, worse than the Onslaught.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 01:22:55 AM by Tarran »

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 17, 2012, 03:23:35 AM »

What if instead of shields going down after a teleport, it took 2-3 seconds of "charge" from when you start the system from when you teleport. During this time shields could be forced down with the justification that "its channeling power from the shields"

This would maintain offensive capability but make it less viable as an escape tool, which imo would be somewhat cool.

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 17, 2012, 05:22:05 AM »

I think instant jumps would make it more interesting (dodge projectiles that way!) but maybe your shields could not be re-enabled for a few seconds after the teleport. Keep in mind that the enemy will also need some time to turn its guns towards your new position so it's not an instant kill.

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 17, 2012, 07:22:34 AM »

I think instant jumps would make it more interesting (dodge projectiles that way!) but maybe your shields could not be re-enabled for a few seconds after the teleport. Keep in mind that the enemy will also need some time to turn its guns towards your new position so it's not an instant kill.
Are you implying that the turrets on the back of a ship can point forward? If it where are Hammerhead yeah but not on most ships.

Starlight

• Commander
  • Vulpes Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 17, 2012, 08:49:18 AM »

I'm really hoping we can make a system which toggles on and off and trades a reduced shield arc for better damage efficiency.  It would work wonders for narrow ships burdened by wide shield bubbles in combat with larger ships (yes I'm thinking of my ships in particular) whilst still having a reasonable defense against fighters and peripheral threats.   At the moment it's kind of either/or in terms of reasonable balance.   Having a system which provided this flexibility would increase tactical options and flexibility. 
Starlight; Vulpine Space-Adventurer.  Fond of lasers.

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 17, 2012, 09:12:21 AM »

I'm really hoping we can make a system which toggles on and off and trades a reduced shield arc for better damage efficiency.  It would work wonders for narrow ships burdened by wide shield bubbles in combat with larger ships (yes I'm thinking of my ships in particular) whilst still having a reasonable defense against fighters and peripheral threats.   At the moment it's kind of either/or in terms of reasonable balance.   Having a system which provided this flexibility would increase tactical options and flexibility. 
Nice idea, make a suggestion out of it!!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 57