Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 57

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.53a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 370625 times)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.53a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #105 on: June 13, 2012, 03:31:27 PM »

That brings a question to mind. If the engines are disabled, can the burndrive still activate or is it useless until the engines are back online?

I believe you cannot use it until the engines are repaired.

Also, i think you cannot teleport outside of the map, but that's just me rambling...

noego

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 13, 2012, 05:52:00 PM »

The economy needs to be implemented. Though that's probably a boring and complicated thing. But makes my eyes sparkle!

Complicated? Certainly. Boring? Certainly not!

[/quote]

Dat attitude. The world needs more of it. Keep it going. Thanks!

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 13, 2012, 08:24:59 PM »

I believe you cannot use it until the engines are repaired.

Also, i think you cannot teleport outside of the map, but that's just me rambling...
I'll bet it possible with the Phase Skimmer, but you probably end up with similar results as just moving to the edge of the map.

Hmm, I hope the ships that have the Phase Skimmer skip at different distances, with the smaller ships skipping much further distances.

EDIT: I hope the distance is not dependent on your current movement speed.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 08:27:41 PM by Vandala »

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #108 on: June 14, 2012, 09:33:54 AM »

:D
I see we finally get custom engine stuff!

(Sorry, am pretty inactive atm due to finals & stuff)

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 14, 2012, 11:29:41 AM »

That ECCM hullmod sounds friggin awesome. Finally i can hit those hounds with my harpoons! I hope

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 14, 2012, 12:30:02 PM »

That ECCM hullmod sounds friggin awesome. Finally i can hit those hounds with my harpoons! I hope

Good luck making those missiles catch him....

Not talking about his new flare system.

In other words:   The hound after the update will be the ultimate "troll and rage-inducing machine to ever exist"

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 14, 2012, 12:51:23 PM »

EMP Emitter - targets missiles and nearby ship's weapon and engine subsystems, dealing a lot of EMP damage (and some energy). Mostly neutralized by shields.
        Omen

I just realized... is that EMP damage going to be enough to knock unshielded fighters out cold in one shot? I'm guessing thats the point in which case... damn! Thats awesome!

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 14, 2012, 08:16:55 PM »

EMP Emitter - targets missiles and nearby ship's weapon and engine subsystems, dealing a lot of EMP damage (and some energy). Mostly neutralized by shields.
        Omen

A major point of concern, Alex.....Which one of the following three target-sets will this EMP shipsystem engage:

1) All enemy missiles & enemy ships within its EMP range?  (best-case result)

2) Only enemy missiles targeted specifically at the Omen, plus any enemy ships within range?  (median result, but IMHO inadequate)

3 ) ALL missiles & ships within its range, friend and foe alike??  (worst-case result)

The answer will have a tremendous impact upon the shipsystem itself as well as all future modder use of it, so I'm...well...kind of nervous until this gets decisively nailed down. :-[ TIA for any clarification you can provide.
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 14, 2012, 08:40:41 PM »

That brings a question to mind. If the engines are disabled, can the burndrive still activate or is it useless until the engines are back online?

Can't use it.

Yeah, no teleporting outside the map. At first you could, though, but I fixed that right up :)

Hmm, I hope the ships that have the Phase Skimmer skip at different distances, with the smaller ships skipping much further distances.

EDIT: I hope the distance is not dependent on your current movement speed.

It's a fixed distance (configured in the system definition). Not based on speed or ship size.

I just realized... is that EMP damage going to be enough to knock unshielded fighters out cold in one shot? I'm guessing thats the point in which case... damn! Thats awesome!

One or two shots, yes :)

Omen

A major point of concern, Alex.....Which one of the following three target-sets will this EMP shipsystem engage:

2) Only enemy missiles targeted specifically at the Omen, plus any enemy ships within range?  (median result, but IMHO inadequate)

3 ) ALL missiles & ships within its range, friend and foe alike??  (worst-case result)

The answer will have a tremendous impact upon the shipsystem itself as well as all future modder use of it, so I'm...well...kind of nervous until this gets decisively nailed down. :-[ TIA for any clarification you can provide.

It's #1. What it actually does is target enemy missiles, and the actual engines/weapons on enemy ships and fighters. So, it delivers all the EMP damage right where it's doing to be most effective at disabling stuff. For fighters, that means it'll knock out their engines very fast. VS a ship like the Enforcer, the lightning will dance around all the weapon mounts and engine nozzles, knocking out absolutely everything with ease - unless, of course, the ship uses shields. There's also a slight energy damage component to the EMP arcs (both damage type, amount, and emp damage amount are moddable, as well as the range at which it works).

For missiles, a single hit *always* knocks out the missile's engine, leaving it to fizzle out in a bit. Missiles already knocked out are much less likely to be targeted by repeated EMP blasts - so, for example, if there are 3 Pilums coming in, the most likely outcome is they'll all get their engines knocked out first, and then, assuming no other targets are in range, the system will continue to hit the disabled missiles - eventually destroying them with energy damage.

The order in which things are targeted is entirely random, though it's a weighted random. (Less likely for knocked-out missiles, more likely for something near something that was already hit).

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 14, 2012, 08:52:01 PM »

Omen

It's #1. What it actually does is target enemy missiles, and the actual engines/weapons on enemy ships and fighters. So, it delivers all the EMP damage right where it's doing to be most effective at disabling stuff. For fighters, that means it'll knock out their engines very fast. VS a ship like the Enforcer, the lightning will dance around all the weapon mounts and engine nozzles, knocking out absolutely everything with ease - unless, of course, the ship uses shields. There's also a slight energy damage component to the EMP arcs (both damage type, amount, and emp damage amount are moddable, as well as the range at which it works).

For missiles, a single hit *always* knocks out the missile's engine, leaving it to fizzle out in a bit. Missiles already knocked out are much less likely to be targeted by repeated EMP blasts - so, for example, if there are 3 Pilums coming in, the most likely outcome is they'll all get their engines knocked out first, and then, assuming no other targets are in range, the system will continue to hit the disabled missiles - eventually destroying them with energy damage.

The order in which things are targeted is entirely random, though it's a weighted random. (Less likely for knocked-out missiles, more likely for something near something that was already hit).

Thanks ever so much for the detailed (and quick) answer, as well as your chosen method for the EMP effect! If there was an emoticon handy for "massive sigh of relief," I'd be using it.

The Omen became my kid's "eventual favorite ship" once I mentioned the upcoming EMP device. I'm now doubly certain that it's going to get a lot of play. ;D
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 14, 2012, 09:56:56 PM »

Srsly. Ship that shoots lightning? I'm all in.  :D
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #116 on: June 14, 2012, 11:34:24 PM »

Sooo. EMP system is actually a fine-tuned Lightning Field :)

Once again - those lightnings will be fired from the same SYSTEM hardpoints?

I still can`t get the whole SYSTEM hardpoint feature. The more you have those on a ship - the more drones, flares and lightnings you`ll get?

Also - can you modify the drone`s weapons? I remember you saying that you can recreate similar systems by slightly adjusting the existing ones. So i assume that it is possible to have multiple drone systems with various weapons, images, numbers etc. defined (not per ship, but in overall)?

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 15, 2012, 12:20:13 AM »

I still can`t get the whole SYSTEM hardpoint feature. The more you have those on a ship - the more drones, flares and lightnings you`ll get?

Also - can you modify the drone`s weapons? I remember you saying that you can recreate similar systems by slightly adjusting the existing ones. So i assume that it is possible to have multiple drone systems with various weapons, images, numbers etc. defined (not per ship, but in overall)?

Massive drone screens in Ironclads, is what I got out of that message.  :D

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 15, 2012, 01:59:17 AM »

There's not a new type of hardpoint, each hull type gets one ship system specific to its hull. In other words, you can't customize what ship system a hull has from within the game.

In order to do the things you're describing, you'd have to mod the game.

Shoat

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 15, 2012, 06:05:35 AM »

(both damage type, amount, and emp damage amount are moddable, as well as the range at which it works)

This is just as genius for modding as the drones are.

It's actually very close to a "fixed on-ship weapon".

There's not a new type of hardpoint, each hull type gets one ship system specific to its hull. In other words, you can't customize what ship system a hull has from within the game.

In order to do the things you're describing, you'd have to mod the game.

Well, Okim is a modder, don't worry about that.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 06:07:37 AM by Shoat »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 57