Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: EVE online and dust 514  (Read 8090 times)

scionreaver

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: EVE online and dust 514
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 12:49:36 PM »

What's your opinions ob these two games? I know one will be f2p, but the other one (according to me) has nearly insane prices on subscriptions. I know it's huge and all that, but does that justify It's price per month? :/

A couple of years ago, I paid and played for several months, joined a couple of corps, and still got nowhere near even mid-good tier in terms of how good I was. I was still a battlecruiser flying grunt. While EVE online has one of the pricier subscriptions, it also has some of the most content I've seen in any MMO (and I've played a few). However, my biggest gripe with the game is the skill system. You passively advance in a skill you choose (at least, this is how it worked when I played, I don't know if they've made any changes but that's highly unlikely). That means no matter how much you play the game, your character will only get as good as the time you've paid for. I hate this model, as I think frequent players should be rewarded with stronger characters. In EVE, all you can get rewarded with is ISK (the game currency), which only does so many things.

HOWEVER, if you get good enough to make enough ISK, you can buy in-game PLEX cards to extend your gametime (they were 130 mil each when I stopped playing). I almost got to the point where I could support myself ratting and never have to pay real money for the game, but then got tired and gave up (the constant grinding lost its fun).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 12:51:26 PM by scionreaver »

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 01:22:17 PM »

They where 300mil when i stopped. Sensless grinding is no-fun. :(

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 01:23:09 PM »

They where 300mil when i stopped. Sensless grinding is no-fun. :(
How long did it take to earn 300mil?
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Wriath

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 08:37:41 PM »

Hunting complexes in nullsec with a good wingman you can make 300m in a few hours. Just have to make the right connections.

scionreaver

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 07:20:20 PM »

Hunting complexes in nullsec with a good wingman you can make 300m in a few hours. Just have to make the right connections.

Hunting those missions in 0.0 requires an AMAZING, skilled, veteran friend who'll let you hop on for charity. If you want to pull your weight at all, though, that takes months of skill training, minimum, and you'd still probably get destroyed within a few seconds of the baddies targeting you if aggro goes badly.

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2012, 10:09:07 AM »

Hunting those missions in 0.0 requires an AMAZING, skilled, veteran friend who'll let you hop on for charity. If you want to pull your weight at all, though, that takes months of skill training, minimum, and you'd still probably get destroyed within a few seconds of the baddies targeting you if aggro goes badly.

Well, it's that kind of game
I've heard stories of people with trial accounts salvaging missioners and earning enough for a plex

vagyr

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 07:43:02 AM »

Just wanna say me and a friend of mine did a low sec roam and killed a 900 mill ship and looted a 350 mill module that dropped. A few days ago we where part of a null space roam on a 25 man fleet in cloacking ships which resulted in us killing quite a lot of ships and losing a few and had to run to avoid a larger gang that almost killed us.
That is why eve is awesome for me. Its about doing what you want and stories sorta get made on their own.

AlBeGaDe

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2012, 06:23:58 PM »

Dust is not NEARLY as good as Planetside 2. It looks smaller, it looks worse, I think one of the problems was that PCP was trying to branch into a console audience, but it just doesn't compare to Planetside 2 at all because it's on console. That's not bad, but it doesn't work for this sort of game.

EVE is cool as hell. It's also Spreadsheet: The Game. Thank you, TGS podcast. EVE is so cool to read about, but I'll never try playing, and besides, 'tis BORANG. Also, subscription fees :(. One day, I hope someone makes a 4X (normally a space game- Expand, Exploit, Explore, Exterminate) skill based game with all of EVE's nuances, Red Faction's destruction engine (GeoMod 2.0), and a MMO's persistence. Basically, 4X+ Planetside 2+ EVE+Red Faction. But it would be rather interesting for it to be a different genre, like, say, War of the Roses style realistic medieval melee.

xanderh

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2012, 04:32:41 PM »

I've just recently gotten into EVE again, and everything has been massively inflated. PLEXes are worth about 500 mill per piece, which takes about 2-4 hours of constant mining in the best mining ship in the game (best way to earn money in high sec at the moment) every single day, which is not fun. It's a lot easier to earn that kind of money if you're ratting in null sec, but that's most likely not going to happen for the first 6 months.

But yes, it's a lot more interesting to read about than it is to play.

Durendal5150

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2012, 01:52:14 AM »

Back into EVE recently myself. As mentioned above, it's a very "Love it or Hate it" sort of game. I'm fine with the $15 a month, that being average for an MMO. (And being the equivalent of going to see a movie once a month, which with recent films, is going to be far less enjoyable than my EVE time, but I digress.)

It's a terribly slow game, and revolves more around politics and social play than around grindy action. As Scion was saying about the skill system not rewarding actual play time, most of the reward for play time is meeting people and getting them to help you. Play your cards right and you can have people with the right skills to get stuff done that you never could. my character is 7.5m SP of industry and confused nonsense; but when you've got the right people in your (nominal) employ, it doesn't matter quite as much.

TL;DR: EVE is not an action game, or even a tactical game, so much as a social game.
Pages: 1 [2]