Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Curiousity killed the cat.  (Read 2363 times)

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Curiousity killed the cat.
« on: June 04, 2012, 12:48:31 AM »

So somehow, a topic on whether it's possible to have two different factions spawning at the same time has led me to this question...

Is it possible to have a sort of binary planet system in orbit of Corvus? (technically an infinitely small planet with two moons orbiting it at the same speed on opposite sides of the planet)
Merely a question of curiousity, I have no modding experience so I can't develop the idea any further, but, in such relations where two factions spawn practically on top of each, it could make for a nice bit of lore. Two races, having grown to despise each other, despite being in contact with each other from 'Day 1'.

Aratoop

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Curiousity killed the cat.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 01:57:11 AM »

I don't know how you'd do that. But I do know that my first answer to curiosity killed the cat was how?. :)
The community's response to a change is inversely proportional to its importance.

What do you call a dog who's a magician? A labracadabra

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 02:17:36 AM »

a dead bird, a trap floor, spiked pit might have killed the cat.

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 06:40:44 AM »

Just tested this, the answer is yes.

The numbers on the right do the following.
1st = The alignment of the object, this is the number you want, having one planet at a 180 alignment and the other at 360 gives you two objects on opposite sides.
2nd = The size of the object your adding.
3rd = The distance from their orbiting object, keep this the same if you want them to orbit at the same distance.
4th = The speed of the object, important to keep the same if you don't want your two planets crashing into each other (not that anything will happen but it just looks weird.

For example, this creates two planets who are of equal size, distance and speed but orbit the same object at opposite ends:

SectorEntityToken corvusIII = system.addPlanet(star, "Corvus III", "gas_giant", 200, 300, 7500, 400);
SectorEntityToken corvusIIIA = system.addPlanet(corvusIII, "Corvus IIIA", "barren", 360, 120, 800, 20);
SectorEntityToken corvusIIIB = system.addPlanet(corvusIII, "Corvus IIIB", "cryovolcanic", 180, 120, 800, 20);

It's also possible to stack planets on top of one another without a problem. I don't know which planet will be shown in the game but the game doesn't make a fuss about it and they do all exist at the same time.

KriiEiter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 07:59:28 AM »

So somehow, a topic on whether it's possible to have two different factions spawning at the same time has led me to this question...

Is it possible to have a sort of binary planet system in orbit of Corvus? (technically an infinitely small planet with two moons orbiting it at the same speed on opposite sides of the planet)
Merely a question of curiousity, I have no modding experience so I can't develop the idea any further, but, in such relations where two factions spawn practically on top of each, it could make for a nice bit of lore. Two races, having grown to despise each other, despite being in contact with each other from 'Day 1'.

I'm surprised they would both have developed at the same technological rate and not have bombarded each other with nukes.  I suppose necessity is a great driving force for invention.  :P
"If it aint broke, don't fix it."