Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Executor Ship makes no sense....  (Read 2662 times)

Mishrak

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Executor Ship makes no sense....
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2024, 11:29:49 AM »

Executor is a great ship.  It's completely capable of being a fleet anchor and it's great at killing things.

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2024, 12:29:08 PM »

Executor is a great ship.  It's completely capable of being a fleet anchor and it's great at killing things.
I haven't used it personally, but I assume it's better than Pegasus.

Cryovolcanic

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2024, 01:16:29 PM »

I concur--it's a great ship and IMO it's better than Pegasus (although I haven't tried 4x Dragonfire Pegasus).

As someone above said, the combination of medium ballistics, large energies, missiles and a 0.6 shield with capital ITU is just great. 4x Autolance on turrets is just the icing on the cake. It is indeed two Champions stapled together, except with better range, a guarantee to work together, and requiring only 1 officer.

I ignore the EBC completely.

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2024, 01:21:00 PM »

I concur--it's a great ship and IMO it's better than Pegasus (although I haven't tried 4x Dragonfire Pegasus).
I assume it's complete and utter garbage

Dragonfire is a missile designed to poke fun at Dominators. Onslaughts with their capital ship ITU have enough range to reach them with their flak cannon... There are midline ships it can probably tear apart easily if they don't run away and hide behind a hill. And High Tech will most likely just plain ignore it.

Pair that with low ammo capacity which greatly reduces general opportunity fulfilment and... Well, you're probably better off just spamming Hydra.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2024, 01:22:40 PM by Killer of Fate »

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2024, 01:31:00 PM »

No joke you could make EBC have full power on every human ship (like AI ships have 200 range instead of 100) and nothing would change.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2024, 01:32:53 PM »

No joke you could make EBC have full power on every human ship (like AI ships have 200 range instead of 100) and nothing would change.
I dunno, 700 range IR Pulse Lasers would be pretty overpowered... We would have to nerf them.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2024, 01:40:05 PM »

On what ship? Every LG variant would just have an inferior loadout at the same range. Reminder that the only human ships that have EBC are Centurion, Brawler and Hammerhead, all LG skins of course. And then there's the Executor which would still be best with the beam build by far.

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2024, 01:44:35 PM »

On what ship? Every LG variant would just have an inferior loadout at the same range. Reminder that the only human ships that have EBC are Centurion, Brawler and Hammerhead, all LG skins of course. And then there's the Executor which would still be best with the beam build by far.
that was a joke

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2024, 01:45:41 PM »

Oh whoops, it's hard to tell sometimes on this forum.

Fenrir

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2024, 10:42:41 PM »

The joke is the executor makes little sense.
*cough* try tossing the PK into a black hole *cough*

Princess_of_Evil

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2024, 12:22:37 AM »

The joke is the executor

EBC could absolutely go to its AI stats without affecting much of anything. If it were on every LG ship, i would maybe consider a plasma champion, but even then it wouldn't even be overpowered, it would just have the power level of a LT cruiser.
Proof that you don't need to know any languages to translate, you just need to care.

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2024, 12:47:18 AM »

The joke is the executor

EBC could absolutely go to its AI stats without affecting much of anything. If it were on every LG ship, i would maybe consider a plasma champion, but even then it wouldn't even be overpowered, it would just have the power level of a LT cruiser.
There is no LG Champion...

Bungee_man

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2024, 04:36:21 AM »

I do wish that the Executor had more viable weapon combinations. As it is, it's just "use HILs" or "go out of your way to be a contrarian and use APLs, but get an all-around worse ship".

Maybe giving the LG ships the extra 100 range from a full-strength coherer (and giving them all the coherer, because it's not like any of them would be remotely OP with it) would solve that problem. APL gets a little bit more viable, gigacannon joke builds become more fun, and a few weird niche LG builds become possible. If they really want to keep the 'lol Diktat bad' thing going, they could mention that there's a perfectly safe setting with 100 range boost, but they went for the whole 200 units in exchange for extra casualties.

Cryovolcanic

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2024, 10:20:51 AM »

I do wish that the Executor had more viable weapon combinations. As it is, it's just "use HILs" or "go out of your way to be a contrarian and use APLs, but get an all-around worse ship".

I think this would require different mounts, or different layouts. When you have the combination of L energy with M ballistics, it makes too much sense to use ballistics for shield-breaking and using L energy for anti-armor. As a thought experiment

- If Executor had L ballistics, and M energies, it would just be a much worse ship because of the support nature of most M energies
- Executor doesn't have the flux to use Plasma Cannons (the main weakness of the ship)
- Paladins really need turrets to be attractive... Executor has hardpoints
- APL is a flux-manageable anti-shield weapon. I guess you could use APLs+Maulers+Hurricanes, but HIL+HVD+Squall just seems like a better combo.
- Don't know what Gigacannon does

I think APLs would make a lot more sense if Executor wasn't a midline ship and didn't have the abundant M ballistics. If those were all M energies, we'd almost be forced into APL builds.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2024, 10:33:02 AM »

Yeah but at 900 base range APLs in hardpoints become actual strong anti-everything weapons. And with HEF it will do a bit more to armour than without it. Now you can make a super potent shield breaker if the rest of your fleet has finisher missiles or are focused at gunning down high on flux targets.

Plasma Cannon is out of the question you're right.

Gigacannon (if it ever gets buffed) would unironically be interesting to see at that range, like a mega TPC all focused into one projectile. Would still be worse than the HIL build but now at least the ship can operate from a longer range. Remember, the reason HIL Executors slap is because it can focus all weapons from very far away with perfect accuracy. So the enemy has to spend time getting blasted until it can actually touch the Executor. It's basically how people used Sunders in tournaments, but from a single ship. Or a fleet of them if you go the CapnHector way.
Pages: 1 [2] 3