Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New music for Galatia Academy  (Read 2640 times)

StianStark

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • Music & Sound
    • View Profile
    • Stian Stark - Game Audio Forge
New music for Galatia Academy
« on: June 12, 2024, 09:37:36 AM »

Blog post here.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2024, 09:46:31 AM by StianStark »

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
Re: New music for Galatia Academy
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2024, 10:24:36 AM »

The intent and thoughtfulness put into these pieces is fantastic. The piano compositions are also amazing by themselves, I wonder if they could be used in game at any point.

While brighter feel of the Galatia Academy piece compliments the institution's nature, but I can't help but wonder if it could feel a bit... grungier in some respects?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2024, 10:29:49 AM by FasterThanSleepyfish »

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2024, 10:25:24 AM »

Neat! I'm even less of a musician than I am an artist, but it's still interesting to read about, and then hear how that translates into the actual piece.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

StianStark

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • Music & Sound
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2024, 10:47:23 AM »

While brighter feel of the Galatia Academy piece compliments the institution's nature, but I can't help but wonder if it could feel a bit... grungier in some respects?

Fair point! Whenever the music is about a portraying a faction or people belonging to a faction I try to lean in the direction of providing a "how they see themselves" perspective rather than how an outside entity would see them. This makes all the factional music sound somewhat idealized and probably in most cases less grungy as well.

(( I think this choice goes back a long, long time when I realized that the universe of Starsector was so grungy to begin with that I was going to be writing nothing but grunge unless I adopted this idea of a slightly shifted perspective. ))

RadrNerv

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2024, 10:54:05 AM »

Surprisingly for myself, I enjoyed piano arrangement immensely.
May I ask, will there be piano arrangements of other tracks?

StianStark

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • Music & Sound
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2024, 10:55:21 AM »

Surprisingly for myself, I enjoyed piano arrangement immencely.

Glad you liked it! The piano arrangement of the main theme is on SoundCloud here:

https://soundcloud.com/stianstark

ithis

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2024, 11:16:55 AM »

Love the composition! There's a neat little contrast between the brighter, synthy track and the raw piano - the latter seems more intimate to me, like it belongs in our private meetings with them. Maybe some of those limitations could be lifted eventually :P

Cybersomatic

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2024, 11:40:28 AM »

Surprisingly for myself, I enjoyed piano arrangement immencely.

Glad you liked it! The piano arrangement of the main theme is on SoundCloud here:

https://soundcloud.com/stianstark

The main theme piano arrangement has a very different feel to it while retaining a bit of familiarity. Love it. Thank you for sharing!

Wispborne

• Captain
  • Discord: wispborne
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2024, 01:00:26 PM »

Initial reaction is that it's a nice enough track for a pixel art game, like Stardew Valley or even Golden Sun.

The instruments make it a different style than the rest of the Starsector tracks, using MIDI-like synths instead of (synth) strings. It's a bit jarring.
Mod Managers: TriOS & SMOL | Mod: Persean Chronicles | Tool: VRAM Estimator | Tool: Forum+Discord Mod Database | If I'm inactive for 3 months, anyone can use any of my work for anything (except selling it or its derivatives).

ishiggydiggydowop

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2024, 06:36:57 PM »

My original opinion was that the piano arrangement was good but quite melancholic. Hearing the final track was an "it's all coming together" moment. I do really like the idea of the chord pairs, thanks for the insight into your creative process!

StianStark

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • Music & Sound
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2024, 11:08:01 PM »

Initial reaction is that it's a nice enough track for a pixel art game, like Stardew Valley or even Golden Sun.

The instruments make it a different style than the rest of the Starsector tracks, using MIDI-like synths instead of (synth) strings. It's a bit jarring.

The less orchestral instrumentation stems from this being music tied to a location and all the diegetic ("in-world") sounds that entails. I wanted to have something "lobbyesque" in the overall feel that supported the illustration, hence the synthetic, bell-like plucks. Hope it makes more sense when you hear it in-game!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2024, 01:35:01 AM by StianStark »

nathan67003

• Commander
  • Excellent imagination, mediocre implementation.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2024, 05:56:28 AM »

Extremely rare Stian blogpost!!!!

Very much like the final version, fits the Academy rather well imo; generally inspiring/upbeat with the odd dark undertone overall.

Another plus is that unlike the player's faction's theme, it doesn't have a sound that could be easily mistaken for a chainsaw or other yard tool so I won't be checking outside every time it loops to see if someone's cutting trees nearby XD
I have some ideas but can't sprite worth a damn and the ideas imply really involved stuff which I've no clue how to even tackle.

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2024, 06:17:21 AM »

Extremely rare Stian blogpost!!!!

Very much like the final version, fits the Academy rather well imo; generally inspiring/upbeat with the odd dark undertone overall.

Another plus is that unlike the player's faction's theme, it doesn't have a sound that could be easily mistaken for a chainsaw or other yard tool so I won't be checking outside every time it loops to see if someone's cutting trees nearby XD
Chainsaw?
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

Cryovolcanic

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2024, 06:52:25 AM »

Wow. No wonder the music in this game is so good.

CV514

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2024, 07:18:12 AM »

That's very interesting, thanks, Stian!
Now Academy sounds like it's something very stand-off from entire Sector, more vibrant and not that "gnarly", so to speak. It almost feels like it should change alongside player progress in main quest, accentuating more on new faces being present there. Also, entire mood vibe reminds me a little of music from Vintage Story by Hayden Davenport.
Pages: [1] 2