Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Preorders and Sales  (Read 67546 times)

BeanusMaximus

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: Preorders and Sales
« Reply #105 on: January 12, 2012, 12:11:17 PM »

I'm very tempted to buy this game when my money goes into my paypal which should be tomorrow, feel wounded how VAT bumped the price from £7 to £8.50 ish -.- Looking forward to it though :D

I would feel wounded by VAT on a constant basis if I was effected by it.  :(   Ouchies, not fun at all.
Our government hates us you see :P 20% VAT... pfft... -.- lol they tax everything possible
RAWR (dunno why I did that)

Feel free to follow me on twitter >:D https://twitter.com/#!/TOBeanus

Other than that I have a dream, that dream is to dream of dreaming of dreams.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 12, 2012, 01:13:44 PM »

But they tax us so they can buy us nice things!

Oh wait ...

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

BeanusMaximus

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #107 on: January 13, 2012, 05:23:10 AM »

But they tax us so they can buy us nice things!

Oh wait ...
They spend several billion on a high speed rail between London and Birmingham when iit'd make more money and be more useful if it stretched across the entire country and had quite a few trains using it :P Yeah the build cost would be insanely high lol but that'd be made up after several year :P

heuristicus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 14, 2012, 11:08:19 PM »

Just want to echo the opinion of a few other posters regarding the inclusion of the game in a Humble Indie Bundle in the near future. In my opinion, it'd be best to wait for a while after the game is properly released before considering doing that, since I think there are more negative effects than positive ones to be had from releasing a new game into the bundle, whereas putting it in a year or so after release would most likely lead to a more positive outcome.

BeanusMaximus

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #109 on: January 15, 2012, 03:07:37 AM »

Just want to echo the opinion of a few other posters regarding the inclusion of the game in a Humble Indie Bundle in the near future. In my opinion, it'd be best to wait for a while after the game is properly released before considering doing that, since I think there are more negative effects than positive ones to be had from releasing a new game into the bundle, whereas putting it in a year or so after release would most likely lead to a more positive outcome.
I think that they should wait a while before putting the game on Humble Bundle, simply because people won't be paying what the game is worth which wouldn't help support the devs much. Once the game is released properly then fair enough but until then I'd say no.

Gardoomforge

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2012, 07:10:43 AM »

I don't mind sharing that information. There have been a little over 350 preorders so far, with about 250 of those coming after the alpha release. Seems like it caused quite a splash! The numbers have already started dropping off, but that is to be expected.

Between all the expenses and time spent (and yet to be spent), it'll take several tens of thousands of sales for it to be a financial success - depending on which part of the price range those sales come in on.

I know I've said it before, and I don't want to sound like a broken record, but I'm really blown away by your guys' support for Starfarer. I could not have wished for a better reception, and am infinitely grateful. Thanks to you, I have a real hope that it will be successful - and that I'll be able to devote myself to working on it full time, which is, of course, the dream :)

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 17, 2012, 02:09:55 AM »

So this thread gets buried after the preview is released. Does the influx of new people on the forums mimic what has been happening with the sales?
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Nori

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 17, 2012, 06:47:32 AM »

So did your pre-orders skyrocket after the TB WTF video?

In case you are interested, I ran across the game on spacegamejunkie.com in one of his space snippet posts. I saw the name and had to check it out. After checking it out Starfarer instantly jumped from me never hearing about it, to one of my most anticipated releases of the year (next year?).

Anywho, curious about total sales now as the game seems to be a lot more popular. Which Alex totally deserves because the game is so awesome.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 17, 2012, 07:05:30 AM »

So did your pre-orders skyrocket after the TB WTF video?

I recall he said something about it in another thread.

Edit: Found it.

I can share some info now - ever since the WTF video went up (and after the subsequent website crash!), pre-orders have been coming in at a surprisingly steady rate of about one per minute. It seems like it's starting to slow down a bit now. Given that the video has been up for about 8 hours, you can do the math :) I'm very curious how it's going to affect preorders in the next couple of weeks, but regardless of that, it's already amazing.

January's been a *very* good month even before this video - mostly because of that blurb that went up on RTS a couple of weeks ago - but today alone has doubled the number of preorders for the month. This is incredible, especially right after a couple of really dry months at the end of last year.

So, to everyone that's preordered, a huge thank you! I truly appreciate your support and faith that we will deliver a complete game, and your help is what makes it possible for me to be working on this full-time.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Steven Shi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 17, 2012, 07:27:25 AM »

Please don't put this great game on HIB. Starfarer has excellent production value and can easily stand on its own if the Alex stick to the current pricing model. Most games on HIB are either causal-ish games looking for value-add by tagging onto other titles or good games at the end of their life cycle hoping to generate one last bit of revenue; Alex has absolutely no need to use discount to generate extra sales at this time. Also, once you've HIB your game, it says to the world that's how much it's worth and people will bulk at paying anywhere near full price again.

Alex, I can't help but notice there isn't a facebook page on Starfarer to take advantage of that ubiquitous 'like' button. Is there a reason behind this and do you have qualms against you fans making an unofficial one?  ;)

Lastly, awesome of you to disclose your sales number. As a gamer studying Master of Marketing it's unbelievably frustrating trying to get some marketing figures from game dev/publishers for case studies. By the way, did you approach RPS and Totalbiscuit or they found you for that 0.35a preview?

Nori

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2012, 07:58:50 AM »

Please don't put this great game on HIB. Starfarer has excellent production value and can easily stand on its own if the Alex stick to the current pricing model. Most games on HIB are either causal-ish games looking for value-add by tagging onto other titles or good games at the end of their life cycle hoping to generate one last bit of revenue; Alex has absolutely no need to use discount to generate extra sales at this time. Also, once you've HIB your game, it says to the world that's how much it's worth and people will bulk at paying anywhere near full price again.

Alex, I can't help but notice there isn't a facebook page on Starfarer to take advantage of that ubiquitous 'like' button. Is there a reason behind this and do you have qualms against you fans making an unofficial one?  ;)

Lastly, awesome of you to disclose your sales number. As a gamer studying Master of Marketing it's unbelievably frustrating trying to get some marketing figures from game dev/publishers for case studies. By the way, did you approach RPS and Totalbiscuit or they found you for that 0.35a preview?

Gotta agree with you on this. HIB is cool, but most of the games on there aren't as awesome as this one. I just don't know if it would really help Starfarer to be on it.

hairrorist

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 17, 2012, 08:12:42 AM »

Generally you don't put something on sale before its been released.  Just sayin.  That'd be pretty damn stupid.

Kommodore Krieg

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2012, 09:07:18 AM »

This game should not be going ANYWHERE near a humble bundle for a long time.  It's strong enough to generate sales on it's own. 

Deus

• Ensign
  • Proud Mac User
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 17, 2012, 10:23:40 PM »

I'm really happy that this game is doing well, I heard about it from TotalBiscuit and i was intrigued from the very start, I instantly brought the game and I enjoy it thoroughly

Steven Shi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 18, 2012, 12:51:33 AM »

hmm....220K+ views on TB's WTF video but only translates to less than 1,000 pre-orders. I guess a lot of people are waiting for the campaign component to be more fleshed out before buying.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9