Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Preorders and Sales  (Read 67569 times)

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
Preorders and Sales
« on: May 06, 2011, 12:11:00 AM »

I realize that this could be a sensitive topic for the devs but I'm curious about how many preorders have been made as well as how many sales you hope to make once the game is completed.

Again, if you guys are uncomfortable answering don't worry about it  ;)

SeaBee

• Commander
  • The stars are ... alive and breathing
    • View Profile
Re: Preorders and Sales
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 08:31:26 AM »

I asked that question before the Alpha was released, Alex told me it was around 100 or so pre-orders.

Now that the alpha is out, it's probably significantly higher. Hope so. Good motivation.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 08:37:04 AM »

I don't mind sharing that information. There have been a little over 350 preorders so far, with about 250 of those coming after the alpha release. Seems like it caused quite a splash! The numbers have already started dropping off, but that is to be expected.

Between all the expenses and time spent (and yet to be spent), it'll take several tens of thousands of sales for it to be a financial success - depending on which part of the price range those sales come in on.

I know I've said it before, and I don't want to sound like a broken record, but I'm really blown away by your guys' support for Starfarer. I could not have wished for a better reception, and am infinitely grateful. Thanks to you, I have a real hope that it will be successful - and that I'll be able to devote myself to working on it full time, which is, of course, the dream :)

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 09:34:41 AM »

I really admire such transparency, thanks for sharing Alex.

I wonder what would happen if your game and the preorder sale was announced on a few popular gaming websites such as GiantBomb or Gamespy. The only reason I even discovered the game was due to a thread on the QT3 forums.

I wish you guys the best of luck and hope that the game really takes off (slight pun intended 8).

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 09:55:04 AM »

I discovered the game from someone else talking about it on the Transcendence IRC channel on freenode.

tinsoldier

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 11:00:00 AM »

I only heard of it because someone posted a link to it in a Terraria thread along with a link to S.P.A.Z.  It was the first time I had heard of it.  If this is only being publicized by word of mouth, I imagine it'll get off to a slow start.

Has the game been announced/marketed anywhere?  The graphics and mechanics are better than Gratuitous Space Battles (an inspiration I'm sure, if not, this game at least gives me the control I always wanted in GSB) so there must be an audience.  I think it'll do well as long as steps are taken to ensure you stay on everyones radar.

mecharm

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 11:23:43 AM »

I really hope you guys get everything you deserve for this game (publicity, financial/emotional success, tons of raging fans, ready to take down PSN if you ask (just a random example...)).

I know I already got my money's worth from the current version...

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 11:26:49 AM »

Yeah, it's been mostly word of mouth so far. Much of the post-release mini traffic explosion was precipitated by David posting on the Gaslamp Games blog (a company he's co-founder of, I believe). That got picked up on RPGWatch, QT3, and a bunch of other places.

I think we'll start contacting game review sites after the next alpha release - that way it'll be more polished and easier to get into when reviewers get their hands on it.

shadowfire

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 02:20:58 PM »

You should see if you could get hooked up with Humble Bundle group.  They don't do DRM, but they definitely get paid.. they also help out FSF and charities as well... check their stats with the other Humble Bundles they have had before.. Last I believe was around $900,000+... but that was between a couple of groups... still.. it could be interesting... I think it is an awsome idea and helps get you game and name out there to the masses.

http://www.humblebundle.com/

enjoy...

SeaBee

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 04:39:20 PM »

I think it's very promising that all the sales have been through word-of-mouth so far. Once the actual release comes around, and the big websites (RPS etc.) run a story on it, I don't see why 50,000 sales would be unlikely in the first week.

Getting on Steam would really get the word out, too.

And the Humble Indie Bundle is a great idea. Maybe after the game has been out for a bit. I love HIB.

Ace

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 07:29:30 PM »

Starfarer is a million-dollars-game - I'm sure. But also I think that you don't need to force the sales until the announced features is implemented.

Lethal Dosage

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 10:40:01 PM »

Starfarer is a million-dollars-game

qft

SeaBee

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 10:58:04 PM »

Starfarer is a million-dollars-game - I'm sure. But also I think that you don't need to force the sales until the announced features is implemented.
Definitely agreed. I don't think it's wise to push it out until it's ready for prime time.

Would love to see it sell a $1 million worth of copies: I'm greedy and want more awesome features post-release.

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 11:11:13 PM »

Given the way the game is set up, and the types of resources it uses, with enough attention, you could get a pretty robust modding community.

liamdawe

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Gaming On Linux
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2011, 08:42:25 AM »

You should speak to the humblebundle guys and get your game put into the next bundle :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9