Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Preorders and Sales  (Read 67550 times)

Chromius

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Preorders and Sales
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2011, 06:12:47 PM »

Just adding my 2 cents on the "Where I heard about it"

I was reading a few forum posts at Matrix, Distant Worlds Forum and Starfarer Alpha and SPAZ Beta were mentioned. After reading a bit on both I bought them.

I play a wide range of genres and I am quite looking forward to what this will be. Thanks!

theShadow

• Lieutenant
  • Power Overwhelming
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2011, 04:21:44 PM »

I heard about it in a forum post at ambrosia software. It occurs to me that one way I could help spread the word is by reposting it on other forums...
Quote from: Archon
Why has a developer ever needed any reason other than "it looks bloody awesome"?

I do 3D modeling and map creation for an open source fps called xonotic

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2011, 08:17:33 AM »

That certainly would help, yeah :) Much appreciated!

rfry11

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2011, 08:47:03 PM »

I preordered the game immediately after seeing an IndieGames.com post that had Starfarer's trailer embedded yesterday. It has a surprisingly high amount of comments for IndieGames, so I'm sure you guys got some nice exposure that way.

Here's a link to the post: http://indiegames.com/2011/05/trailer_starfarer_fractal_soft.html

Alendor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2011, 10:07:30 PM »

Just got this game myself, was into SPAZ, and love these types of simpler top down spaceship games (even tho this one is a bit more complex,) when i came upon a mention of this game and googled it.  Found the art style to be awesome, with so many guns on the ships and what not.  Can't wait till the open world aspect is added, I can see this game being a big Steam seller once the sandbox aspect is added. 

Durandal4532

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2011, 01:26:43 PM »

I heard about this from someone on the Penny Arcade forums, got it basically immediately after seeing the site. It's my favorite genre, I have to support the development.

Actually, I should probably pick up SPAZ too, if I want these sorts of things to get more play.

TescoBag

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2011, 02:25:31 PM »

If you keep going in the direction you are with this game, then you're going to be very successful. It has so much promise.

Just remember to keep listening to the community and you can't go too far wrong. ;) When it's a niche game like this tailoring your product to the audience is very important!

Sseatris

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2011, 07:17:54 PM »

No idea how I ended up on this site honestly, I was searching for HDMI cables on amazon 0.o
That said, I went ahead and purchased the game after a few minutes of site browsing, looks great!

Also figured that I would bring back up the humble bundle idea.
I've been a long time player of Cortex Command, a game that featured prominently in the second (and now third) line-up,
and I can assure you, it was/is no more complete that Starfarer, and they seemed to have few qualms with listing it.

Just try to get your game out there!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2011, 07:56:37 PM »

No idea how I ended up on this site honestly, I was searching for HDMI cables on amazon 0.o

Hah, I was sure this was going to be a spambot post when I read this opener :D

That said, I went ahead and purchased the game after a few minutes of site browsing, looks great!

Also figured that I would bring back up the humble bundle idea.
I've been a long time player of Cortex Command, a game that featured prominently in the second (and now third) line-up,
and I can assure you, it was/is no more complete that Starfarer, and they seemed to have few qualms with listing it.

Just try to get your game out there!

Thanks for your support! You know, I just don't think it's ready for that. Even if they would want it in the HIB, I'd rather take the time to get it done right than put it out there in a state I'm not happy with, "good enough" though it might be.

Though if the Wolfire guys actually came calling, it would be a very tough decision.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2011, 05:04:14 AM »

I think you should try your hand at pushing this game alone for the time being, it has the power to stand by itself as it is already. Save the HIB bundle for another day in other words.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Annex

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2011, 05:58:51 AM »

* throws self into the preorder crowd *

tkmr

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2011, 07:24:44 AM »

I just preordered yesterday after seeing the game on Linux Games Database. Always happy to support developers that support Linux!!!

I know this is a few month old topic, but regarding unfinished games in the Humble Bundle, I didn't see that Cortex Command was mentioned here. That was in Humble Indie Bundle 2, a game which is still in the alpha stage and RARELY gets updates. They recently published the first update since the bundle with the release of HIB3.

Reddit is also a great place to go viral... I was actually just about to go post about this game, primarily it's Linux support, on r/linux_gaming and r/indiegaming.

It's also always nice to see developers taking part on the forums and communicating with their community! =)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2011, 06:27:44 PM »

Hi there!

Right, someone mentioned Cortex Command a couple of posts ago. I guess one thing about the HIB is that most of the games in it seem to be around the end of their sales lifecycle - it seems rare that a game launches there. Revenge of the Titans is a notable exception - I don't know if there are any others?

Thanks for the Reddit plug, btw :)

NoirWolf

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2011, 12:27:18 AM »

I wanna jump on the band wagon but my credit card is dry for another month :(... anyone wanna trade a EVE-Online plex for a copy? ;D -activates active tank and waits for the geddons to come in screaming "SCAMMER!" without any basis-
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 12:29:45 AM by NoirWolf »

Zapier

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2011, 11:47:23 PM »

Well, toss my preorder into the mix! Heard about this through a friend of mine (I'm not sure if he's preordered it yet or even on these forums, but he's watching it) and once I saw it, I immediately had to get on board. This type of game is definitely one I enjoy and I really look forward to following it's progress. In fact, it was reminding me of older favorites like Star Flight and online games of Cosmic Rift and Infantry Online's Fleet!. Hope you guys keep getting more attention.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9