Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Welcome to the Forum  (Read 79005 times)

Darod Khaan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to the Forum
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2013, 02:23:24 AM »

Another newbie!

I discovered this game last week trough one of Scott Manley's YouTube vids.
Paid for it and DL'd it within minutes of seeing the vid. :D

Loving it so far! Despite only having a very small handful of hours on it, I'm already looking to buy my first cruiser! :D

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2013, 12:34:37 AM »

Another newbie!

I discovered this game last week trough one of Scott Manley's YouTube vids.
Paid for it and DL'd it within minutes of seeing the vid. :D

Loving it so far! Despite only having a very small handful of hours on it, I'm already looking to buy my first cruiser! :D

Very nice to meet you!

Glad to see some other fans of The Manley. I'm Looking forward to everyone's contributions :D
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Truthowl

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2013, 12:42:18 AM »

New here. Seen this game a while back and thought it looked promising. Bookmarked it to check out later, and just did, several months later. Still looks good. Almost bought it, BUT(lol), decided I wanted to see how active the Dev was on posting updates. Looks like he posts informative updates semi frequently, which is very very good. But then I noticed that patch updates are not released very often. Or so he said. 8 months to post an update/patch? No thanks. I read his reasons, they make sense. Especially since it seems informative posts happen much more frequently.

So, now I'm at where I began. Undecided. I could almost feel like I wasted the last 1 hour, except... well, lol I'm still thinking of buying. So more info is always better than no info. Which means, time wasn't wasted, but well spent. I'm going to start a thread called 'On The Fence' and ask for your opinion's. I'll try to post a link to this as well.

Truthowl
--
Truthowl

Bjørn_in_the_Sector

• Commander
  • Have a towel, just need a ship...
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2013, 05:35:17 PM »

Hello, Everyone!
I don't often participate in communities for the games I buy, but in this case, you guys seem so welcoming and helpful that I've decided to jump right in!
I've had my eye on the game ever since TotalBiscuit did his WTF is on "Starfarer" but only picked it up after Scott Manley did his video on the new edition - "StarSector".
Visited the site, was VERY impressed buy the professionalism and rich content of both the game and the information presented. And all the spaceships blowing each other up, of course.   ;D
Bought it almost immediately and have been playing it rather obsessively for more than a month now. Got into various LPs on Youtube, to learn new strategies and tricks (totally not because I couldn't figure out how to get off the ground. Nah. :P )
Fell in love with Tokshen's style of play and went full-tilt into Exerelin and general mod madness! Have been really tempted to try my hand at ship design, but that's something for another day...
I have two saves going on at the moment - One purely with Exerelin and Vanilla, one with Exerelin and every easily compatible mod I could find!
Can't wait to get more involved with this community!
Excitedly, from Space,
Lieutenant Bjørn, Mercenary leader of Conditional Inheritance, Rogue Company
Executive Creative Director of Naysmyth Armouries Mod (Very WIP)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2013, 05:59:59 PM »

Hi Bjorn! Welcome to the forum, glad to hear you're enjoying the game :)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2014, 07:40:13 PM »

Hi! Welcome to the forum!

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2014, 03:31:26 PM »

Welcome aboard! I'm sure you'll fit right in.  :)

Here's a quick link to the Newbie Guide Thread/ FAQ and a fanmade Starsector manual.

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2014, 12:13:32 PM »

Now that I am getting used to this place, I may as well introduce appropriately.

My name is Aereto, and have joined the forums because the game is quite promising enough to pre-order. (And actually able to send payment via mail, which helps with someone who does not use bank or online accounts like myself.) While my appearances are random at best, this is one game to support that I don't feel regretting.

I will focus on playing the game without mods, so I could feel the game as updates go by. And probably record videos for reference or something for potential players to see.

TheOverWhelming

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2014, 07:54:12 AM »

Hey gents,
I've always enjoyed games like this, especially games that mix "You are this, also Strategy" which this game does very well.
Very happy about this game, I've only started but its been a lot of fun so far
Been experimenting with ship modules too, trying strategies (Forlorn Hope mission has been fun and challenging, apparently a lot harder than it was back in the day according to some youtube videos)

Of the mission I've completed I never get a high score but Pyrrhic victories are still victories, amirite
Anyway, I also hope to play some of the mods here (been trying to understand the setup, looks like it generally works to just enable it in the startup screen unless you want to merge them)

I plan to mod.. but we'll see if that happens.  Is there anything to help expedite an understanding of the system and how to mod for this game?  I've never actually modded for a game (except from the Warcraft 3 days)

Thanks

Edit: Found the documentation for functions.. how trustworthy though?  Since this game moves forward a lot
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 08:13:13 AM by TheOverWhelming »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2014, 10:47:31 AM »

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Edit: Found the documentation for functions.. how trustworthy though?  Since this game moves forward a lot

If you're talking about the javadoc, it should be up-to-date - I try to update it with every release. It's entirely possible for me to forget, but 1) I don't think I did last time and 2) someone would probably remind me if I had :)

There are also a couple of example mods here. That post *is* out of date, but the example mods should all be working and illustrate the basic idea.

TheOverWhelming

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2014, 11:56:10 AM »

Thanks Alex!  And yeah, you're right, I meant the Javadoc xD

Edit: Looks like there are compile errors.  I'll just glance at some people's mission mods, works the same
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 12:04:31 PM by TheOverWhelming »

Metroidude

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Knights of Reason
Metroidude's Introduction
« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2014, 06:54:23 PM »

Hey guys!
I'm Metroidude, and I just signed up for these forums. So I figured I'd introduce myself.

Let me tell you a little bit about myself; I'm a 17 year-old male and live in the US, and I play lots of video games.
I speak German, and I'm a member of a formal debate club and league; this year's topic is:
Resolved: The United States Federal Government should reform its counterterrorism policies for the domestic surveillance of US Citizens.
It involves a lot of analysis and critical thinking, as well as a lot of public speaking. I enjoy it a lot, and I've won quite a few awards :)

I'm looking forward to becoming a member of the community here.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

? Albert Einstein

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2014, 01:49:33 AM »

Hi,
Long time lurker, I figured I should take a minute to say hello and show my appreciation. I discovered Starsector a year ago, and I have to confess I sunk an embarrassing amount of my free time in this game while it isn't finished yet (granted I mainly play Exerelin and Uomoz's sector mods to add a bit of depth)!
Anyway I feel that this game is part this tiny category witch shine by it's community, and use the best of an "early access" style of development. So thank you Alex, David and the others we don't see on the forum.

And now I'm headed to the modding section to show off a bit about what I've been preparing these past months... ::)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2014, 06:33:44 PM »

Hi, and welcome to the forum! Glad to hear you're having fun with the game :)

The Sage

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2014, 01:31:47 PM »

Hi,

I'm new as well. I've been playing Starsector for 2 years.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7