Starsector > Suggestions

Hull Restoration is way too overpowered

(1/9) > >>

Ser Jonathan Cena of York:
Hull Restoration feels like cheating. Pick this skill, and your ships will magically fix their severe, overhaul-requiring problems mid-flight. Also pretty much all of them will be recoverable as long as you win a fight.

IMO this skill should be toned down somewhat. Right now you'd be a complete idiot not to pick it, which basically makes the Industry skills "mandatory".

Hull Restoration should instead give you a discount on in-dock overhauls to remove d-mods, plus the ship recovery rate should be reduced.

Inb4 "just don't pick it bro": if a skill is officially part of the game, I will pick it. I am not a Catholic nun to exercise self-restraint while playing Starsector. Not picking Hull Restoration also doesn't make sense from a roleplay perspective. What captain would be stupid enough to pass on the "magic ship repair" option?

Megas:
If anything, Hull Restoration should be buffed more if the rest of Industry stays as it is (or gets nerfed even more), especially after the nerf to Ordnance Expertise.  Ships do not repair fast enough when there is a backlog of d-mods to fix, does not fix built-in d-mods like Executor's Special Modifications (got to Restore Executor if player wants a pristine one), and the max CR boost is not enough to make up for a lack of a combat skill between tier 2 and capstone.

Hull Restoration would be fine if there was another combat skill in Industry.  Currently, Industry is the weakest tree (for combat) in the game.

Hull Restoration giving a discount on Restore would be nice though.

Hull Restoration (when it was named something else) used to repair slower, but that was too slow, so it was sped up to about one per month, and recently sped up for low DP ships further.  It is still not very fast if player gains new d-mods frequently.

Getting Hull Restoration (or Derelict Operations) means ten skill points left for the other three trees.  If I want to build a fleet that is good against Ordos while using Industry, that means I probably need to dump Combat entirely and pick up BotB and Cybernetic Augmentation and play the units game, which I dislike.  If I want a good flagship (because I want to pilot a powerful ship), I either go all-in with Combat and Tech for super Radiant/phase ship or go Combat/Leadership/Tech for the meta build.  Either way, I need to dump Industry, which stinks.

Jawgo:
But, but, but... but I love 'Hull Restoration' so much though! Before I got this skill in my first campaign, I felt like I was drowning for 50+ hours; I just couldn't make any meaningful progress with my fleet and couldn't stop bleeding cash trying to balance fixing just enough key ships, to win just enough fights, to be able to afford just enough supplies and fuel... then I randomly happened to mouse over and read the description of 'Hull Restoration' and decided to try it, and it was like I could FINALLY breath. At last I started making meaningful progress toward becoming progressively more powerful, and from there never looked back. And it felt good, from an RPG perspective, to feel like I had put in my time grinding through the mud to survive long enough to get to that point, like the skill made me feel like I'd made it as a fleet captain.

But I guess all this kinda helps prove your point though... I literally can not imagine playing the vanilla game without it. But I also don't want to entertain not playing with it. In my mind, either 'Hull Restoration' stays what it is or the rest of the game needs to be tuned down, and the latter option seems like a lot more work. I dunno, just the two cents of a Starsector noob, lol. I have only been playing close to a month and a half and have like 150 hours in the game, so take my opinion with a heap of salt :P

Megas:
Because fighting in Starsector practically demands flawless victory to profit from combat, I like Hull Restoration because it eases the pressure needed to play perfectly.  I get so annoyed about my AI ships dying beyond my control, and Hull Restoration helps fix that.  Instead of needing flawless victory, player can lose some ships and come out without d-mods on his ships if he is lucky.  Unfortunately, the hit to combat power (because of the skill point cost) is too much, so player is probably better off not getting Hull Restoration unless he wants the +max 15% CR from it instead of getting Combat Endurance on every officer to get 100% CR from that and Crew Training.

Of course, there is Derelict Operations for those who do not care about dying, but for me, I dislike clunkers (ships with d-mods) so much that I refuse to use them unless they are taken to get fixed soon (either by Hull Restoration or going home to get Restored).

prav:
Crippling faults and deadly structural failures just bring character to a ship.

Really D-mods just aren't that bad. You can just ignore them. You'll probably find a nicer ship soon enough anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version