Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Would like a modder to test shield as weapon.  (Read 2717 times)

evil713

• Commander
    • View Profile
Would like a modder to test shield as weapon.
« on: May 30, 2012, 01:48:57 AM »

essentially i wish to see the value of using a very long shield as an offencive weapon.

i do not know if this is possable. but essentially i am asking for somone to take a high flux ship (ether modder made or a classic ship) and extend the shield radius to 1000.

and to test three states of this, narrow forward, narrow omni and 360°.

the idea is to test if it is a viable weapon system for direct damage and area denile.

Shoat

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Would like a modder to test shield as weapon.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 04:51:05 AM »

Seeing as shields totally DEMOLISH asteroids, husks and small frigates if they get caught in it, it could probably be made into a weapon.

A super-long radius shield with a very narrow arc could pose as a lance of some sort.

However, 360° wouldn't fit that well as the idea with a weaponized shield is to trade off some defensive capabilities for more firepower.

And you can very easily test this yourself, there's no reason to hope for and wait for someone else to do it for you.
Open up a ship file with the ship editor that is floating around somewhere in the forum and give it a huge flux pool and fitting shield and just try it out.
The editor is completely self-explanatory and anyone can just get into it and fiddle around with stuff as he pleases.

Durendal5150

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 08:55:14 AM »

A shield can be used as a pretty effective weapon.

I've got this ship design I've been messing with here:

If you get this thing spinning and turn the shields on, (It's got a small arc in the front,) you can basically use the ship like an axe.

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 08:56:08 AM »

just saying, by making your shield so long, you may end up having to increase the bounds of your ship, which make enemy ais start attacking that bound circle even though you ship may be 500 meters away

but you can definitely start spinning your ship with your shield extended for massive damage ( depending on your ship's spin rate and mass) but it will probably overload your shields and theirs as well.

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 09:09:09 AM »

but you can definitely start spinning your ship with your shield extended for massive damage ( depending on your ship's spin rate and mass) but it will probably overload your shields and theirs as well.

Low shield damage modifiers and a massive flux reserve should fix overloading problems. Perhaps high flux rate to help with venting when the shield is lowered.