Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Simulator Enhancements  (Read 5434 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Simulator Enhancements
« on: March 13, 2024, 01:10:30 PM »

Blog post here.

Siffrin

• Captain
  • Thermal Signature Detected
    • View Profile
Re: Simulator Enhancements
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2024, 01:24:31 PM »

Thank you very much Alex!
Gods most reckless Odyssey captain.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2024, 01:29:27 PM »

Neat. Slightly dubious about the AI cores thing, but - as someone used to the current no-officers-at-all simulator - I doubt that's going to be overly bothersome in actual practice. (Besides, you noted that it can be turned off.)

Guessing that the unlock progress is going to be under saves/common somewhere? (This is an important detail for me, personally, as I don't overwrite older Starsector versions when updating - so things that get stored in saves I'll have to manually copy over, while stuff that goes in java preferences will just carry over automatically.)
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

CV514

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2024, 01:30:13 PM »

Simulator Enhancements are cool, but I'm more excited about Java upgrade.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2024, 01:39:57 PM »

Oh man 1/2 things I wanted for the next update is already here, this will already be a pretty sweet update with reworked sim AND a modest performance boost (not to mention save/load times).

Honestly don't even have much to say or discuss here, everything I've read makes sense and I agree with it. Kudos also for putting in extra settings that are hidden away for those that want immediate access. But I'll be testing to see how the unlocking process goes so I can know how a new player should achieve progress.
Please don't take me too seriously.

starficz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2024, 01:40:50 PM »

Ah, This is a great upgrade. I used to hand edit and replace the sim list and its variants for better testing. With that being said, I didnt see any mention of stations in the blog post, which are currently accessable in the devmode sim list. Is there any chance they can be included into the sim?

BigBrainEnergy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2024, 01:44:55 PM »

The sim can take up a lot of the player's time already in its current state. With all these new options, some people may never want to leave it! Fantastic work.
TL;DR deez nuts

WMGreywind

• Lieutenant
  • The circuit is one. And one is the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2024, 01:56:40 PM »

Oh I see that new Lion's Guard crest there. Does that mean there's gonna be a whole flag for them too?

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2024, 01:59:13 PM »

Nice! I can already tell I'm going to be spending far too much time in this. I appreciate the 'custom' tab as I often will have a standard set of enemies I test multiple ships against to see how they do.

Will we be able to unlock the Ziggurat and Doritos?

Oh, and Java upgrade, nice! Do you have any plans for doing something similar for Apple Silicon? Himemiko did a conversion kit for those as well. I realize us mac laptop players are probably a very small minority compared to windows/linux though!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 02:03:16 PM by Thaago »

KravityGECK

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2024, 02:09:30 PM »

Good stuff. Very glad the simulator's getting a once-over, scrolling through that big list (especially with a bunch of modded ships) was a little annoying.
Lots of good new options too, including settings to unlock everything if you've already seen everything there is to see - no complaints from me!

Evil Atlas

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2024, 02:20:28 PM »

This sounds like a great update! More options and fidelity while also getting the fun of unlocking these opponents in the first place. I really appreciate the consideration you put into making it simple to use and compatible with mods.

(Also, woo, Java update!)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2024, 02:21:49 PM »

Thank you very much Alex!

Thank you!

Guessing that the unlock progress is going to be under saves/common somewhere? (This is an important detail for me, personally, as I don't overwrite older Starsector versions when updating - so things that get stored in saves I'll have to manually copy over, while stuff that goes in java preferences will just carry over automatically.)

Yep, it's under saves/common. Too large to stuff in the registry, potentially.

Simulator Enhancements are cool, but I'm more excited about Java upgrade.

Fair :)

Ah, This is a great upgrade. I used to hand edit and replace the sim list and its variants for better testing. With that being said, I didnt see any mention of stations in the blog post, which are currently accessable in the devmode sim list. Is there any chance they can be included into the sim?

Ah, hmm - maybe? I think they're a bit too "special" but they could be added in via some more hand-editing.

The sim can take up a lot of the player's time already in its current state. With all these new options, some people may never want to leave it! Fantastic work.

Hah, let's hope not :) But - thank you!

Oh I see that new Lion's Guard crest there. Does that mean there's gonna be a whole flag for them too?

Yes, though it's not actually used anywhere in the game.

Nice! I can already tell I'm going to be spending far too much time in this. I appreciate the 'custom' tab as I often will have a standard set of enemies I test multiple ships against to see how they do.

Cool!

Will we be able to unlock the Ziggurat and Doritos?

Nope, and also not the Guardian. I think those are the only vanilla ships that are excluded.

Oh, and Java upgrade, nice! Do you have any plans for doing something similar for Apple Silicon? Himemiko did a conversion kit for those as well. I realize us mac laptop players are probably a very small minority compared to windows/linux though!

Honestly, wasn't thinking about that - maybe in the future? It'd be more difficult to test and all, and it'd also be an extra (4th) build to provide. Hopefully the Java 17 upgrade will help even if you're running it through... whatever the emulation layer is.

Good stuff. Very glad the simulator's getting a once-over, scrolling through that big list (especially with a bunch of modded ships) was a little annoying.
Lots of good new options too, including settings to unlock everything if you've already seen everything there is to see - no complaints from me!

Thank you!

This sounds like a great update! More options and fidelity while also getting the fun of unlocking these opponents in the first place. I really appreciate the consideration you put into making it simple to use and compatible with mods.

(Also, woo, Java update!)

And, thank you!

Templar_X

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2024, 02:22:25 PM »

Nice! The simulator upgrade looks very good. Looking forward to dabbling with it!
And the Java upgrade is appreciated.

stradius

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2024, 02:28:51 PM »

Very insightful post, thanks! Having used the simulator a bunch in my last run to try out new things (instead of just picking the same old builds I always go for), I can definitely appreciate the enhancements. I do think a couple of alternate ways to get access to ships might be neat (not to scope creep what's intentionally a small feature, just throwing them out there):
  • Getting a commission/certain amount of rep from a faction could give you that faction's entire list (helps to address the "friendlies" problem)
  • Bounty missions you get from story quests or maybe even bars could come with them
  • Maybe the Sensors skill lets you pick them up from derelicts

All in all, looking forward to toying around with it, and seeing my list grow like a trophy case.

Vanshilar

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2024, 02:32:55 PM »

Nope, and also not the Guardian. I think those are the only vanilla ships that are excluded. :)

...what about the mothership?

Edit: wanted to mention, Java upgrade sounds good! Yes it's good for 32-bit compatibility, in case people are still using it; I myself play on a desktop that is over a decade old (though it's 64-bit), so there are probably quite a few people who are managing to squeak along on older computers.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 02:47:02 PM by Vanshilar »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6