Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Im a road  (Read 3706 times)

Unwoundpath

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Im a road
« on: May 23, 2012, 06:09:16 PM »

As you can see, I am new here, and would like to introduce myself. I am unwoundpath, (wound, not wound) and a select few of you might remember me from the Data Realms Forums.. I would like to say that I am quite new to this game, and would like some simple pointers, as in which mods to use, and how to do better in the game. I would also like to say, that I might not be as active as some of you here, as I can't browse everything, and have other forums to attend. I hope to see you all more, and play some Starfarer!

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Im a road
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 06:31:48 PM »

Ah, you might want to look here:
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=1866.0
And welcome to the forums!  Modding is really fun, you might want to start out with vanilla gameplay first though.  Some good mods, though, are the Lotus Conglemorate, the Scourge (it's tough) and many others.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 07:19:09 PM »

Hello Unwoundpath, my asphalt-clad friend. ;)  Welcome to the asylum!

Regarding how to do better at playing Starfarer, I recommend reading the game's bundled instruction manual .PDF from start to finish. You need to become familiar not only with the quirks of initial battle deployment and subsequent tactical maneuvering, but also the quirks of firepower. Here's a few basic points to be guided by...

Four different flavors of damage: kinetic, high explosive, fragmentation and energy.

Each of the four comes in three different packages: missile, ballistic, and energy weapons.

These, in turn, are available in three sizes: small, medium and large.

Each kind of damage is more effective in some situations, and less effective in others. Exploit these differences. Not all weapons are created equal; even those within the same size class and dealing out the same sort of damage. You'll live or die by those choices of what to arm your ship (later, ships) with.

Read all about flux. All sorts of activities will cause flux buildup on your ship. Too much flux is bad. Eventually you will need to actively vent it away because you may have too much flux for passive dissipation to handle. When you're venting, you're vulnerable. Defend against that, and make the most of it when an enemy ship is venting.

There's lots more info on this forum to be guided by. Make use of it to the fullest.
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 10:40:46 PM »

Careful clicking that forum link, I see that Data Realms still has that virus.

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 10:41:06 PM »

Welcome to the forum Unwoundpath.

Check my signature for helpful links to both tips and mods.

Good luck with your Starfarer game and have lots of fun.

EDIT: Ooooh what kind of virus?

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 11:36:43 PM »

Hello there!

Welcome to the Starfarer forums, hope you stick around.

Try some of the missions out, if you haven't already. They are a lot of fun and they give great practice in certain types of situations.

And remember the simulator! (especially if you are trying out some new weapons which you don't know about).

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Unwoundpath

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 02:33:49 AM »

Careful clicking that forum link, I see that Data Realms still has that virus.
EDIT: Ooooh what kind of virus?

How so? I am on it every day, no problems.

Also, thanks everybody! I did not realize there was a PDF file anywhere, I'll check into that, and I will read up on the forums.