Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Author Topic: What does reputation with random NPCs do?  (Read 400 times)

Cryovolcanic

• Captain
    • View Profile
What does reputation with random NPCs do?
« on: February 10, 2024, 07:55:54 AM »

When I lose -5 rep with some local patrol commander for refusing a scan, does that do anything? Or when I gain rep with Brother Cotton or Macario, does that do anything?

I know rep with contacts makes them give you better quests.

mark.sucka

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: What does reputation with random NPCs do?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2024, 01:31:50 PM »

Pretty sure nothing.  Most fleet NPCs are spawned and despawned regularly, so they won't even exist in a cycle.  And that's if they even survive long enough to despawn.  The fast patrols that do the cargo scans are generally small enough and isolated enough to be killed off by even minor fleets, like pirate raiders that pop up around jump points and buoys during system bounties.  And that's not even counting the assured destruction that awaits them from invasion fleets, if you're playing Nex.

You will of course also lose reputation with the officer's faction upon failing an inspection or being caught running without a transponder.  But the rep with the individual officer is meaningless, with the exception of a few mod-specific NPC fleets (thinking mostly Philip Andrada mod)

Siffrin

• Captain
  • Thermal Signature Detected
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2024, 01:37:22 PM »

Alviss will only give you the storyline quest after you're at 50? reputation with him. But apart from that you need to go look at mods to see reputation with individual characters matter.
Gods most reckless Odyssey captain.

Sandor057

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2024, 02:14:45 PM »

Comissions can provide some additional dialogue choices for story missions and unique encounters or just for some missions in general. Those however scale off faction rep. Im my experience there is little, if any, effect for reputation with single characters.