Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Systems and Music  (Read 4690 times)

Sunfire

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Systems and Music
« on: May 21, 2012, 11:03:25 AM »

So right now we have one system and a few tracks of music, I was just chiling out, with the game running, but with the menu open so that I could hear the msic, when an idea popped into my head, what if we had a number of sound tracks for the major factions and if a system had one of those factions in it than the music connected to that faction would be playing, and if two factions were in a system than a mixture of their tracks would play, etc. Could this work? or would anyone even want this?

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
Re: Systems and Music
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 11:09:23 AM »

Is this related to our project? :D

NikolaiLev

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 02:53:28 PM »

Sure.  Hegemony could have a more military soundtrack while Independent would be more exploratory.  Pirates would be warlike, and so on.

Another one of those "Good idea, if we have the work hours" ideas, I think.

Sunfire

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 07:40:06 PM »

Is this related to our project? :D

maybe  ;)

StianStark

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • Music & Sound
    • View Profile
    • Stian Stark - Game Audio Forge
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 08:37:40 AM »

Indeed!

I'm a big fan of faction-specific music because it lends more character to everything. If your only sensory connection to a faction is the color and style of their ships it might not create a lot of emotional investment into them, that's where music can be a big help.

That said, it hasn't been decided whether we go with faction music in campaign mode, there are other possibilities like what the part of space you are exploring is like etc.
www.stianstark.com /// Twitter @stianstark

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 08:42:02 AM »

Indeed!

I'm a big fan of faction-specific music because it lends more character to everything. If your only sensory connection to a faction is the color and style of their ships it might not create a lot of emotional investment into them, that's where music can be a big help.

That said, it hasn't been decided whether we go with faction music in campaign mode, there are other possibilities like what the part of space you are exploring is like etc.
If factions control areas of space, play the faction music. Or while talking to a member of that faction, but awesomely, tone it down so you'll get a low volume faction music and then the space area music. So you'll hear the Hegemony theme tune when talking to a Tri Tachyon captain in Hegemony space, but you might hear the Tri Tachyon's too.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 09:00:24 AM »

Sort of like the spore anthem system...?

Well, i seem to remember there was something like this is spore

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 09:01:24 AM »

You could make your own anthem in spore. I never did. Always forgot about it.
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 09:08:56 AM »

You could make your own anthem in spore. I never did. Always forgot about it.

I never made one since that system sucked *****

Aratoop

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 09:21:37 AM »

Meh, you could create pretty cool ones. I had fun randomly clicking and seeing the tune :). But it missed a llot of potential.
 But cool idea, reminds me of most rts games in wich there is a different track for each faction.
The community's response to a change is inversely proportional to its importance.

What do you call a dog who's a magician? A labracadabra

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 01:52:14 PM »

there are other possibilities like what the part of space you are exploring is like etc.

That possibility made me sit up and take notice. I am favor of music tied to specific geographic regions as defined by faction ownership / control, but even more strongly in favor of music tied to various types of geographic regions. That kind of player-vs-environment aspect would boost my enjoyment of Starfarer.

Surely there are many, many poorly-explored or utterly un-explored regions in the Sector. Different areas should have different music; doubly so if there might be some kind of natural hazard therein. Capitalize upon that "Lewis and Clark among the stars" or "haunted house of outer space" feel.
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 01:54:35 PM »

there are other possibilities like what the part of space you are exploring is like etc.

That possibility made me sit up and take notice. I am favor of music tied to specific geographic regions as defined by faction ownership / control, but even more strongly in favor of music tied to various types of geographic regions. That kind of player-vs-environment aspect would boost my enjoyment of Starfarer.

Surely there are many, many poorly-explored or utterly un-explored regions in the Sector. Different areas should have different music; doubly so if there might be some kind of natural hazard therein. Capitalize upon that "Lewis and Clark among the stars" or "haunted house of outer space" feel.

A feeling of the horrors that lie in wait, in deep space. Jumpy and dark.
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 03:57:58 PM »

Now that would be nice to have.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 08:47:33 AM »

Sins has a decent space-based soundtrack I believe.  Perhaps something like that, but following the themes of the currently established factions.